Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages <12345>»
Magpie 1832's SanFrancisco II Options
CaptnBirdseye
#41 Posted : 27 May 2010 13:34:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Congrats, Magpie, on a fantastic build Drool I want one of these now!!!!

Thought about HMS Brig Supply, which is about the same money, but looking at this, i think i prefer her shape.

Keep up the good work and i hope your Victory comes out just as good as this one! (I'm sure it will)
Graham
magpie1832
#42 Posted : 31 May 2010 18:31:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Here is my next batch of photo's..
Here I made my own jig to get the gap right on the chump blocks for the shrouds / ratlines? whatever they are called....Anyone?............

Thanks for comments all. Chris..

On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

andylangtree
#43 Posted : 31 May 2010 19:14:33

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks absolutely superb, well done and keep the pics coming
philjaps1
#44 Posted : 31 May 2010 19:30:14

Groups:

There the shrouds mate, the ratlines are the foot supports that go across them. Quick tip, I tend to place a cardboard template behind the shrouds as a guide for the ratlines - I just find it easier!!!

Very nice tight rigging excellent stuff!!!!

Phil
karl1113
#45 Posted : 31 May 2010 22:37:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

don't forget to tie the right knots magpie on the ratlines,we'll be watching you Drool Love
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
magpie1832
#46 Posted : 02 June 2010 01:01:40

Thankyou all, I now know what they are called..lol.
Here I had to come up with how to do this as the instructions don't mention how. Just a picture that says there are shrouds above the other ones. I had noticed pictures on another forum of the shrouds and they had this metal bar at the top like I have shown in the picture. so I have tried to Simulate this here. Correct me if I have done this wrong. Also the metal crows nest thingy didn't have holes to put the chump blocks so had to drill out where I thought was right.

On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

karl1113
#47 Posted : 02 June 2010 09:54:52

http://www.megahobby.com...tbyartesanialatina.aspx
magpie, by the look of it,you have a basket to go on the frame where you have put deadeyes, i think the deadeyes go on top of the basket,but you need to research before going any further. so stop until your sure, don't mess up now, and ruin a great ship, good luck, will help in the research if you like.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

magpie1832
#48 Posted : 02 June 2010 10:06:33

Thanks for reply Karl,
I think the one in the website is the first edition San francisco II, which came with wooden everything (gratings,nest and mast blocks. Where as the edition I have they are metal and the nest is different? why don't know. Here is pic of the edition I have on the right. And the one on the left is the other type?

On the bench

karl1113
#49 Posted : 02 June 2010 10:10:51

it looks like you have a different version to anyone else,lol, so soldier ahead and continue,sorry to have worried you, the rest you have done looks ok to me,great work.

magpie1832
#50 Posted : 02 June 2010 10:15:44

I think the other version is the one you buy as a whole kit, Where the one I bought was of this site as a partworks, so they may have made it cheaper? as the metal parts are not as good as the wooden alternatives.

Thanks anyways Karl, Nice that build is keeping you all riveted.
Chris...
On the bench

dedworthdog
#51 Posted : 02 June 2010 10:35:59

WOW!!!!!Drool Love
Follow my build to learn how to make firewood

CaptnBirdseye
#52 Posted : 02 June 2010 11:39:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Magpie,
I was just going to ask you if you bought your kit complete or as a part-works, but you've just answered that question!

However, can you tell me how good the instructions have been? Are they easy to follow? How reliable have DA been supplying the parts on time?

many thanx
Regards
Graham

ps. fantastic build by the way.Drool Drool Drool
magpie1832
#53 Posted : 02 June 2010 16:16:28

Hi Captain,
Thanks for your comments. The partworks was ok, the delivery times were alright give or take a week. But all in all very recommended. The Instructions are not the best but This is only my first so don't know if other manufacturers are better.

thanks chris...
BigGrin
On the bench

Mike Turpin
#54 Posted : 02 June 2010 18:19:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

As Carl says the 'chump blocks' are properly know as 'deadeyes'. They are wooden blocks with only holes in them, used to set up the shrouds and differ from the blocks which are used with the running rigging and would have sheaves in them on a full scale ship.

The extra shrouds that you have added are called the 'futtock shrouds'. In the good old days when a sailor was climbing up into the tops he had two choices to follow the main shrouds and squeeze in through the 'lubber hole' next to the mast or when he got to the futtocks, he could swing himself outwards and enter the tops over the edge after hanging in effect upside down with only the deck many feet below. Suffice to say the second method was more dangerous but a lot quicker and no self-respecting 'top man' would even consider the lubber's hole.

I am really appreciating your detailed photos of the rigging. I have not got that far yet with any of my builds and am looking forward now to that stage having followed you, but still way off in the future - after launches, carronades etc etc.

Mike T

magpie1832
#55 Posted : 02 June 2010 22:33:58

Thanks Mike for the information. Learn something everyday. I'm glad my rigging is of use to you. Only thing is it hurts your hands tying all those knots.. I'm only 35 so god help me when older lol.. I am thoroughly enjoying the build I am doing. It is completely different from plastic planes. Parts are all pre made like a 3d jigsaw where as these ships are a pile of wood when you start.

Thanks again .
Christopher..

On the bench

Dontshootme
#56 Posted : 03 June 2010 09:14:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

magpie1832 wrote:
I'm glad my rigging is of use to you. Only thing is it hurts your hands tying all those knots.. I'm only 35 so god help me when older lol

.Now that is not what I want to hear..i'm 45 & have arthritis in my hands.....fun fun fun!!!!
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
karl1113
#57 Posted : 03 June 2010 10:19:18

you got probs, me 65 and think the rigging best bit,tip :- seizing the shrouds,(whipping the ends with thin thread).drill a 2mm.hole in a spare piece of plank,now leave the drill in the wood,vasaline the drill end,then whip your thread around the shank 7 times,then use another piece of plank pre drilled 2mm.hole,then push it over the shank of the drill thus sqeezing the whipping nice and tight,then remove 2nd.piece of wood and superg whipping,you can then remove whipping fron drill shank
and you have seizing pre done, and nice and neat to.you can make many of these in minutes. and you just slip them on the shoud ends,different size drills for all size rigging. sound complicated but very easy to do.

CaptnBirdseye
#58 Posted : 03 June 2010 11:46:21

sound complicated but very easy to do.
That's easy for you to say Karl!!!LOL LOL LOL
magpie1832
#59 Posted : 11 June 2010 21:56:15

Hi all. here are a couple of more Rigging pics. Hope the knots are the right ones Karl...lol.. I did clove hitches... grannys each end.
Thanks..

On the bench

budgie
#60 Posted : 11 June 2010 22:01:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin superb looking model there have yourself a nookie broon sit back & admire your work
Well deservedBigGrin