Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages «<3456>
Magpie 1832's SanFrancisco II Options
magpie1832
#81 Posted : 26 September 2010 15:54:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi All.

Here is the latest installent of pics. I've fitted the lower yard.
The instructions absolutely suck.... On the first pic you will see the rail and pillars at the bottom of the mast with the belay pins installed. WELL the instructions don't tell you too do them. Then when rigging you get a little drawing with the thread going to them . I had to rip it off then drill and put the pins in. And reinstall.
Rant Over..

On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Lonestar Spirit
#82 Posted : 26 September 2010 16:43:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking AWSOME Christopher Woot ThumpUp
Ship Builds on the go

Yamato - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
AKAGI - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
RMS Titanic Lifeboat (Kind Gift from DeAgostini Crew)
Jack Sparrow
#83 Posted : 26 September 2010 17:51:22

Groups:

Absolutely amazing mate!!Drool BigGrin BigGrin
captainalan
#84 Posted : 27 September 2010 02:46:02

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

hi Chris can i ask a favour?
can you take a few pictures showing the fore deck port an starboard....
in all the build mags that Ive got it shows the fore deck as being parallel to the main deck and keel ie flat, mine has a slight taper
Alan
farrabass
#85 Posted : 27 September 2010 13:55:03

Groups:

Looking at the photo of the mizzen deck?. I am asking if your plan showed the handrail stepped as I did my San Fransisco II, or did you have a plan that shows it merging as you have done.
Regards the rigging instructions SUX I think is a better term. Anyway I don't think there is really a right or wrong way as I have seen quite a few variations of this ship, some have wooden tops others have conical metal tops some have been painted etc etc. I am posting a picture of my interpretation for your opinion.
magpie1832
#86 Posted : 27 September 2010 14:49:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi,

@ Farrabrass,
I chose to merge the rail as there was no other way for me too do it. The peices didn't fit etc. But have noticed that alot of builds have the stepBlushing .
With this being my first build, also not having or knowing anyone making this ship I had too guess on most things as the instructions weren't that forward. And with only getting them each month instead of getting all the instructions you couldn't plan ahead.

Here is the pic of the rigging plans of the belaying pins on the centre rail. But the main instructions don't even mention them.

@Captainalan,
I've taken this pic for you if it helps you, I am not sure what you meanConfused . The main deck and fore deck are parallel then the rear and poop deck slope up with the poop being steeper.EDIT>> Here is another pic yes the foredeck slope's down slightly you can see by the planks on the inner wall that they are straight where as the fore deck ones aren't parallel.BigGrin

Thanks Chris...

On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

captainalan
#87 Posted : 27 September 2010 18:29:18

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

thanks Chris
the foredeck is the smaller deck at the Sharpe end LOL LOL LOL
i think my parts were cut wrong as all the skeleton pieces fitted perfect
but instead of being flat i have a slight slope of around 7 degrees

i don't know if you can see it properly but you can tell just by looking at the planking just how much it slopes oh well to late now to do anything about itConfused
Alan
saintsman123
#88 Posted : 16 April 2011 10:01:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Magpie

I just got the first parts for the SF2. Looking at step 1 it shows the keel with a completely straight stern, but the actual keel has a small bit sticking out at the bottom. I have looked at yours and captain allan build, both of you have fitted part 5 above this small piece, but then step 3 shows that the bottom of part 5 touches the bottom of the false keel (again picture shows no bit sticking out). I just wondered if fitting it as you and the captain did causes problems later, or is it ok to go ahead and do it your way? If Tomick is reading this maybe you have come across this as well?

cheers bob
Come on you Jimmies
saintsman123
#89 Posted : 16 April 2011 11:07:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

No need to reply, I did a dry fit and it can only go on the way you have it, I guess the pictures show an older version, or maybe the version supplied if you buy the complete kit elsewhere, I did see from your build you had a few problems with the crows nest thingies being different from other peoples,
Come on you Jimmies
Gan_Javi
#90 Posted : 19 May 2011 22:46:27

Magpie, sorry to add this here too. I'm posting this in 2 other forums too.

When you bought this, did you pay once off for the whole kit? I'm really interested in getting this one
magpie1832
#91 Posted : 20 May 2011 11:40:19

Hi,

I got this in installments but you can get it in one payment, I have just read admins post about it not being able to ship to SA, how ever here offer the same kit but do ship abroad..

Wonderland models

Chris..

On the bench

Brian100
#92 Posted : 11 October 2011 09:43:17

Hi Magpie, i was considering building the San Fransisco II, now after seeing your build i will certainly be buying it. Brian
magpie1832
#93 Posted : 12 October 2011 13:30:47

Thanks Brian, you will enjoy the build its a very nice ship when finished. Just read through my log aswell as the instructions as in parts they are not too clear,plus there are a couple of little problems along the way. Nothing to be bothered about.BigGrin BigGrin

Chris..
On the bench

builderphil
#94 Posted : 06 February 2012 16:02:57

Hi Chris,i've been and lost the 1st instructions for the San Fran,any chance,if you still have them you could email them to me,Cheers,Phil
builderphil
#95 Posted : 07 February 2012 20:02:03

Hi Chris,did u get my e-mail address ok last night?Cheers mate,Phil
magpie1832
#96 Posted : 08 February 2012 11:20:04

Hi Phil,

Email sent this morning with all you need... Full set of instructions on their way mate..

Chris..
On the bench

Ger C
#97 Posted : 22 February 2012 01:52:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Chris,

are you also posting this build on another site?

only asking because I found some pics that look very similar,

Ger
Ger C
#98 Posted : 22 February 2012 01:54:29

Once again thanks for your help re planking,

Ger
jase
#99 Posted : 22 February 2013 00:25:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

My wife quit fancys me building this one for her - may be my next purchase after titanic life boat?!
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
budgie
#100 Posted : 22 February 2013 07:40:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

jase wrote:
My wife quit fancys me building this one for her - may be my next purchase after titanic life boat?!

BigGrin Ordered this my self, recieved confirmation email and user name and password but reading AR Purchase's post not sure if available???
Only been 3 weeks tho but will let u know when arrives

Looking at Magpie and MWGs build diaries it looks a wee cracker of a model so heres hoping still available