Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Paint first but what about the glue? Options
Dennis
#1 Posted : 20 February 2014 08:32:17

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I am tempted to start painting but many detail parts have still to be applied. For many this will mean glueing in place.
Is the paint being scraped off so the part can be glued to the parent metal or is the part being glued to the paint?
A large majority of the parts are screwed in place, generally 2mm sometimes 1.4mm screws are used. Having painted, are the screw holes cleared first before screwing in the next part? Perhaps the screw holes are masked off to avoid the paint ingress. However it would take very little paint to cause problems.
The layer of paint also will cause seating problems when applying the next part surely?
Therefore I am curious how the construction proceeds having painted first?
regards
Dennis
Tomick
#2 Posted : 20 February 2014 09:32:34

Groups:

So far, the only painting instructions have been in despatch 06 about painting the wheels black, and paintig the backhead at Stage 59.

For the overall model, a two option painting tutorial is provided: Clear coat and Black paint.

The tutorials are within the instructions from Stage #92 to #100.

Dennis
#3 Posted : 20 February 2014 09:36:02

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Tomick,

Thank you.
I am trying to understand how the construction is progressing when the painting is being done early in the build.

regards

Dennis
Tomick
#4 Posted : 20 February 2014 10:04:15

Groups:

The Engine body is complete by 61, the Chassis by 67 and Tender by 82 with the exception of the coal moulding.

The next Stages of my diary build will show 57-61 so you can then get an idea of what is involved to complete the engine body, which should be posted up next week, though the body is not secured to the chassis until the end of the series after the rolling road has been constructed.
Dennis
#5 Posted : 20 February 2014 10:13:48

Hi Tomick,

That 'timetable' is very useful. Especially interesting was that the chassis has more to be added yet.

Regards

Dennis
Tomick
#6 Posted : 20 February 2014 10:40:02

Groups:

The trailing wheel set needs to be added to the chassis at 67
jase
#7 Posted : 20 February 2014 13:10:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is an interesting debate as some builders have chosen to paint there builds as they progress. Obviously if you have any doubt you should follow the instructions. I think Dennis you are interested to know how some of our members have gone about their construction process painting as they go?
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Dennis
#8 Posted : 20 February 2014 13:31:32

Hi Jase,

Yes I just wondered how they were attaching the various components since the base was already painted.

Regards

Dennis
karl1113
#9 Posted : 20 February 2014 13:36:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi dennis,the painting I'm doing entails painting some parts before assembly and some after,the question about glueing, I have cleaned the contact points just like you would a plastic kit.some of the external parts are left unpainted,this is of course is my own personal taste,I will also klear coat satin laquer as I go as well.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Dennis
#10 Posted : 20 February 2014 13:52:56

Hi Karl,

Thank you. You are obviously glueing to the base metal as I suggested might be the way.

Regards

Dennis