Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Rob's Victory Build Options
zepp
#1 Posted : 23 February 2014 06:14:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Well, I finally got round to starting my own build diary!

Started building October last year after back ordering $1000 worth of issues to catch up to the current ones being released here in Australia!

Unfortunately had to stop any sort of model building for about 3 months after running my finger (down to bone) into the panel saw at work!! Not something I'd advise anyone do, it hurt lol :).

This is my first ever ship build, I've always wanted to try building one and I thought a part work would be an ideal way to learn. The only other project I have attempted of this sort of size/scale is a paper craft model of the ship Serenity from the TV series Firefly. (Which I am yet to add super detailing too)

On to the Victory!

Bought a small tin of oak stain from the local hardware store and thought I'd try it out on the upper gun deck. Still undecided as to whether I will use it or a lighter stain for the upper decks.

Started with the all the ribs and worked my way up to issue 20 where I stopped and thought I'd go back and try doing the launch boat. Having never planked a boat before I thought it best to try it out on something small in case I stuffed it up! It was definitely a lot more fiddly than I was expecting, but I feel pretty confident about tackling the Victory's hull now!!

So that's where I'm up to. Chipping away slowly at the build. Never enough hours in the day!! :)

And I just spotted the Spitfire build for pre order here in Australia, which I am definitely going to have to get!!
Give quiche a chance!
My Victory build
zepp
#2 Posted : 23 February 2014 06:16:18

ok... i put links to pics, but theyre not showing up :(

EDIT

So apparently you cant link pics from dropbox. Just uploading to Imgur then I'll update the main post with pics :)
Give quiche a chance!
My Victory build
jase
#3 Posted : 23 February 2014 07:31:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Rob,

Really nice start. You decking looks fine to me, having visited the real thing. The launch looks great too.

Looking forward to more pics

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
zepp
#4 Posted : 23 February 2014 08:05:26

Thanks Jase! I've still got all your detail packs too which will come in handy when I actually get up to detailing.

I'm actually going back again this June to the UK/Europe on a 9 week holiday and plan on going to to Portsmouth again but this time I'll go aboard the Victory. Can't wait to see first hand what I'm trying to build BigGrin
Give quiche a chance!
My Victory build
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 23 February 2014 09:42:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Zepp
Nice start to your build, the launch looks great . I have always found wood stains to be a little hit and miss so I always do a test piece to see if I like the colour. keep the pics coming
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#6 Posted : 23 February 2014 09:46:56

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Rob, very nice start.... Hope you enjoy you visit to the lady herself... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
stevie_o
#7 Posted : 23 February 2014 11:44:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

karl josef
#8 Posted : 23 February 2014 21:23:33

Groups:

find it easy to build still start the victory which the
a beautiful beginning.
Best regards,
Reiner
Jesus-Belzheim
#9 Posted : 01 March 2014 12:54:53

Groups:

The start looks very good Rob ThumpUp

Kind regards
Peter BigGrin

HMS Victory 1:84 DeA
sparks
#10 Posted : 01 March 2014 13:36:08

Good start Rob ThumpUp ,
looking forward to seeing more.
Regards
Alan
England expects that every man will do his duty.
Hans
#11 Posted : 03 March 2014 11:53:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good clean build there Rob, well done.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
ian smith
#12 Posted : 05 March 2014 19:26:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Rob.
Very nice clean build. Look forward to seeing your progress Ian.BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
zepp
#13 Posted : 09 March 2014 13:48:41

Thanks everyone for the positive comments!! BigGrin

I've finally finished the launch (minus painting the oars). Spent an insane amount of hours on this! I'm too fussy for my own good, and even then I'm still not 100% happy with the paint job! Cursing

Painting was never my forte when I was a kid putting together plastic model kits, but I'm happy to take my time on this project and get good practice in and hopefully end up with a half decent result at the end! BigGrin

Wasnt happy with the color of the thread for the rope (especially after the PVA soaked through. Nothing a bit of brown shade wash couldn't fix!!

I've been itching to start fairing the main hull, but didn't want to until I'd completed the launch. Can't wait to start working on it next!BigGrin
Give quiche a chance!
My Victory build
stevie_o
#14 Posted : 09 March 2014 13:52:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

daffy09
#15 Posted : 13 March 2014 19:15:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

stevie_o wrote:
Beautiful work on the launch Rob, very neat - if this is an indicator of the quality of your work then the Vic will be a masterpiece.
Steve

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Steve on that, well done Rob
Happy building
David
jase
#16 Posted : 13 March 2014 19:30:15

Top Job ThumpUp

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
karl josef
#17 Posted : 13 March 2014 20:47:51

Groups:

rob,clean work :-)
Best regards,
Reiner
karl1113
#18 Posted : 13 March 2014 20:51:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

very neat and tidy, well done.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Gandale
#19 Posted : 13 March 2014 23:14:10

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work,,,,,Drool

Regards

Alan
zepp
#20 Posted : 21 March 2014 12:43:20

Thank you everyone for the positive comments!

So after many hours fussing over whether I had faired the hull the correct amount I finally started laying the planks down! Pretty long process as I don't get much time after work to work on her, but I am really enjoying it.

Still not sure I have the bow shape correct where the planks run from the last full rib (11a) to the curved bow formers on the front. It sorta goes more flat than curved at that point, but visually I don't think it'll look so bad once the entire hull is planked and has the gun port cut out of that section?. As the planks go up it looks like they will take on a more rounded shape to match the curve on the bow.

I also added in some balsa wood to help with the curve and give the planks more surface area to stick to.

Did away with the plank bender I bought and just used the handheld crimping one supplied in the the free toolkit. Works brilliantly!

I didnt like using the push nailer as it was too easy to go too far and push the pins all the way in. So in the end i just marked each plank with a Push pin and pre nailed in the nails with a jewlers hammer before gluing and nailing the planks on. Much easier!!

Give quiche a chance!
My Victory build