5 Pages «<2345>
Rob's Victory Build Options
zepp
#61 Posted : 01 May 2016 07:14:43

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

jase wrote:
Loverly job.

To be honest with planking of that quality, I would be staining and varnishing that hull, not covering up with paint or tiles

Jase

Thanks Jase. This being my first wooden ship build though, i pretty much had zero confidence from the start that I would be able to produce planking that would be anywhere near the quality required for staining.

I really appreciate all the compliments from everyone, but now as some of you have suggested, I am torn whether to go with staining or to paint and tile.

I have already built and painted the launch, which would be impossible to change to stained now. Also it would be tough to stain now I've filled back of the keel near the rudder with white filler you think?

As much as I would love to not stick on over 4000 copper tiles, i had already bought the pack of them near the start of subscribing and from memory it cost close to $100 AU, so it would also be a shame not to use them!

Confused cant decide now LOL
Give quiche a chance!
My Victory build
Gandale
#62 Posted : 01 May 2016 09:43:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Rob, as much as it pains me to say this with planking of that quality but think in all honesty you're going to have to paint or copper tile her. You're right about the filler and it is very likely you will see a distinct difference between the stained or varnished wood and the filler. What you can do is try a coat of stain and if it doesn't work out then you can tile over the top....Cool Cool .. Keep up the good work, you're doing a fabulous job.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#63 Posted : 14 May 2016 10:31:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Lovely Lovely job Zepp, planking looks amazing, it would be a shame to do anything but stain it, there must be a way round it, if mine comes out anywhere near that quality i'll be a happy man.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Gibbo
#64 Posted : 14 May 2016 13:24:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Gibbo wrote:
Lovely Lovely job Zepp, planking looks amazing, it would be a shame to do anything but stain it, there must be a way round it, if mine comes out anywhere near that quality i'll be a happy man.
Regards
Paul

Been thinking a little more about this, what if you took out as much filer as you can, then replicate the planking already there with 5mm wide strips of veneer over the top of the planking the same colour, then feather out the veneer into the planking.
zepp
#65 Posted : 15 May 2016 13:05:26

Gibbo wrote:
Gibbo wrote:
Regards
Paul

Been thinking a little more about this, what if you took out as much filer as you can, then replicate the planking already there with 5mm wide strips of veneer over the top of the planking the same colour, then feather out the veneer into the planking.

Thats a really good suggestion Paul. I reckon I could possibly make it work too, but it would take a fair bit of time and effort to blend it in well!

Ive pretty much decided i am going to go the copper tile/painted route though, just because that was what i had initially planned and i have the copper tiles already and a ton of yellow ochre and black paint! :)

I have recently bought the full kit of the San Francisco II ship, so that will be my future unpainted model to show off planking....assuming i can actually do a good job on that one! Lol
Give quiche a chance!
My Victory build
jonny7england
#66 Posted : 15 May 2016 13:15:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Rob....Looks amazing!! A real first class job you've done there...
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
birdaj2
#67 Posted : 15 May 2016 17:22:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Rob

Amazing finish you have there and very skilfully done with all the drop planking and the like.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gibbo
#68 Posted : 15 May 2016 21:17:51

zepp wrote:
Gibbo wrote:
Gibbo wrote:
Regards
Paul

Thats a really good suggestion Paul. I reckon I could possibly make it work too, but it would take a fair bit of time and effort to blend it in well!

Ive pretty much decided i am going to go the copper tile/painted route though, just because that was what i had initially planned and i have the copper tiles already and a ton of yellow ochre and black paint! :)

I have recently bought the full kit of the San Francisco II ship, so that will be my future unpainted model to show off planking....assuming i can actually do a good job on that one! Lol

After looking at your first attempt planking and being mightily impressed i dont think you'll have any problems, i look forward to seeing both ships come together.
Cheers
Paul
zepp
#69 Posted : 28 May 2016 13:53:28

Hey all! Thanks again to everyone who's been looking in at my build and all the positive feedback! I really appreciate it! :)

Somehow I am still delaying starting the copper tiles in favour of progressing the build, but I reckon my next update will finally have some tiles started! :)

Got the Gallery section on and made a start on the wales only to realise that before the upper wale can go on the bow section needs to be planked.

So of course this set me on a tangent to finally come up with a decking colour/look I will be happy to do the entire ship in as I was never happy with the dark oak stain I used on the lower gun deck.

Spent about 8 hours making up the replacement deck section for the lower gun deck... a lot of work for something that can only be seen through the darkened entry ports on each side, but a good test for how I plan on doing the rest of the decking.

I ended up making my own 5mm x 1.5mm planks at work out of old pine bearers. Considering how quickly I cut them on the panel saw I am quite happy with how they turned out.

Then there was the issue of getting a caulking and nail holes look that I was happy with also. I tried 160GSM black paper glued to the plank edges initially but it looked way too thick, so in the end I settled on 80GSM paper.

I used Teak oil on the planking which gives the timber a really nice rich colour that I am really happy with.

Also I found just using a drawing pin to indent small nail holes was adequate enough once the teak oil filled in the hole to make the nails look just the right size and not too big.

So next step is to plank the small bow section, finish the wales, then finally I will make a start on the copper tiling! :)

Once again, thanks to everyone for checking out my build diary! :)
Give quiche a chance!
My Victory build
ian smith
#70 Posted : 28 May 2016 17:12:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Rob.
Nice to see you are back on your build. Looking fantastic. look forward to seeing your progress Ian.
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
arpurchase
#71 Posted : 28 May 2016 19:47:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good and very nice work.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

magpie1832
#72 Posted : 28 May 2016 20:41:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Doing a mighty fine job on the Vic. Great looking planking too.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

davetwin
#73 Posted : 28 May 2016 21:42:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Zepp

That's a really nice clean looking build, excellent job!
Gandale
#74 Posted : 28 May 2016 22:30:34

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This has all the makings of turning into one fantastic looking build, so very neat and tidy..... Excellent work....

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#75 Posted : 28 May 2016 23:51:40

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

That`s looking very crisp and clean.

Keep up the good work.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Martyn Ingram
#76 Posted : 29 May 2016 06:42:52

Very nicely done looking sweet.

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Hans
#77 Posted : 02 June 2016 12:54:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful work there Rob. Real impressive. Would love to have seen this varnished however understand the decision to tile. Really impressive photography as well.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
zepp
#78 Posted : 16 January 2017 11:20:11

Been a while since my last post! Work on the victory has been pretty sporadic, but I'm still slowly chipping away at it!

I realised unfortunately too late that i misread the instructions when it came to the bottom row of wales. I accidentally kept using the 1mm thick planks when it should have been the 2mm thick ones! By the time I realised my mistake I had gone too far and wasn't going to have enough of the 1mm ones to plank both sides.

Solved it though by running the 2mm planks down to 1mm through my drum sander at work, as well as cutting my own 5x1mm planks out of some pine from work for the first layer of the other side of the ship so the final top layer would be all out of the same timber on both sides! Then I just double layered the bottom 3 rows of wales. To be honest it seems like that they would have been a lot harder to bend around the bow easily if they were 2mm thick! worked quite well doing the double layer.

Finally decided to take the plunge and make a start on the copper tiling.... wow... fiddly doesn't even come close to describing this job, but I've only sworn a couple of time so far haha. But, as always I love a challenge and I'm actually getting the hang of placing them down now! Gonna be a loooong time before its done though :)

Give quiche a chance!
My Victory build
Gibbo
#79 Posted : 16 January 2017 17:44:13

Coming along a treat Zepp, looking forward to seeing more.
Regards
Paul
pemberg
#80 Posted : 16 January 2017 22:42:29

Very nice job so far. Yes the copper tiling is fiddly and time consuming but well worth it in the end.

Graeme