Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Ribs and Keel Options
jonny7england
#1 Posted : 14 August 2010 08:41:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I have just begun the main build of Victory, and what has been common practice in the construction of previous wooden models was to glue the ribs after laying the keel...but reading the instructions in issue 17, it does not state anything about gluing the ribs to the keel but just water down some PVA and place it into the joins...am I missing something here? I would appreciate some input on this subject before I progress...thanks shipmates...Blink Confused
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Zeptrader
#2 Posted : 14 August 2010 09:48:37

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

Jonny, take a look through this post on MSW, he is building the same AL Victory and if you read he states the instructions follow ours, now he has with success moved away from those and glued the ribs first, after dry fitting, read it.

http://modelshipworld.co...er=asc&&start=0

One word comes ups around this time in the build and well worth remembering.

DRY FIT, DRY FIT, DRY FIT.

Also if you continue the build log you will see where we are going next in the the future issue.
karl1113
#3 Posted : 14 August 2010 09:53:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

no not missing anything, or are you? have you read the instructions,?the decks have to be laid first,that is to line up ribs,having nailed the lower gun deck first.
I had to water down glue on the cutty sark same method as victory,but what I found was,the glue was too thin,the ribs were cracking the glue too easily,so this time I brushed on the white glue neat,and then when dry tested the glue and all ok.the lining up of the ribs by inserting the deck and then nailing it,prevents you from missa aligning the ribs,that the theory anyway.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
jonny7england
#4 Posted : 14 August 2010 10:58:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks Colin for the link, and Karl for your input too, yes,I have been dry fitting all parts over and over again so far and not gluing anything as yet,think that the glue would be too thin to water down and brush in...so I will have to do it neat when I get to that stage...it was just strange that the process of fitting the lower gun decks and not gluing the ribs in first, that's what threw me here at this point..didn't want to seem a thicko here..and as for your link Colin and seeing that even Artesania Latina are throwing a spanner in the works as far as instructions are concerned...Though I am glad that we do not have to cut all our parts out like the chappie in the link that you provided...thanks again for your input...ThumpUp Watch this space LOL
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...