Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages «<234
Jim's build Options
karl1113
#61 Posted : 28 June 2014 10:27:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

hi jock, when altering part works be careful not to mess up dimensions,example if fitting plank decks,and stairs etc, it will raise the deck level,so a full gun carriage may be too high,and the cannon barrel might be too tall to fit the gunport. advance planning is needed if you are altering things. I have found these things out to my own cost.Blushing Blink BigGrin
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
jock
#62 Posted : 28 June 2014 11:24:24

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Good point, the stair shouldn't be much of a problem but the guns are going to take some working out. It's great to have other builders seeing problems.
Previous builds
Bounty, Cutty Sark, Red Baron Triplane, Bismark,Titanic,Endeavour
http://jockspage.webs.com/
Gandale
#63 Posted : 28 June 2014 23:00:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Jock, she is coming along very nicely.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
jock
#64 Posted : 02 July 2014 07:27:57

Issue #15 frame work for the galley, need a bit of dexterity but got there

jock attached the following image(s):
SOS29.jpg
Previous builds
bb1949
#65 Posted : 02 July 2014 09:24:06

Hey Jock. I'd very happy with that. Looks good.

Brex.
George1
#66 Posted : 02 July 2014 10:55:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

HI Jock. BigGrin

Looks good mate. Cool Cool A bit fiddly like you said but once together it's OK. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
jock
#67 Posted : 05 July 2014 03:24:31

Issue #16 Gallery now completed. These must have made the ship heavy in the stern. Looking at the photo I need to tidy up my bench.
SOS30.jpg
Previous builds
jock
#68 Posted : 05 July 2014 12:11:08

As stated in a previous post I am closing the gun ports on the lower deck and having complete cannon on the next.So the first step is to plank the second deck this will encompass modification to either the new gun carriages or the wheels.
SOS32.jpg
SOS33.jpg
Previous builds
jock
#69 Posted : 12 July 2014 07:39:05

Started on the planking. I don't like crimping the planks so use boiling water. The first and second photos of the jig which I use to hold the hull, this has been used on three or four models already. The next shows the capped poly tube I use to soak the planks and the final photo shows the bending jig the wet planks are placed in till they dry.
Tried nailing the planks on the stern the bamboo is too tough will buy a drill on Monday.
SOS35.jpg
SOS34.jpg
SOS36.jpg
SOS37.jpg
Previous builds
Gandale
#70 Posted : 12 July 2014 09:48:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Coming along nicely Jock, love the build cradle and bending jig... Cool Cool .. With the bamboo think you will find most of use predrilled prior to pinning the planks, the bamboo has a horrible habit of splitting if you try to nail without predrilling even with wet planks.... Keep the posts coming....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
bb1949
#71 Posted : 17 July 2014 09:23:38

Gee I like that jig for the planks,Drool but how did you get the arc? Confused That is something I would like to try on my other build that is progressing to this point shortly. Any suggestions on achieving the desired shape is appreciated.

Also is it my imagination or do the planks swell slightly and then when dry shrink. I have in the past used soaked plants and a hot steam iron to shape the timber and find the next day a gap where there wasn't a gap the night before. Not that this worries me too much on the first layer but it does trouble on the next.

Brex1949
Gandale
#72 Posted : 17 July 2014 23:31:21

bb1949 wrote:
Gee I like that jig for the planks,Drool but how did you get the arc? Confused That is something I would like to try on my other build that is progressing to this point shortly. Any suggestions on achieving the desired shape is appreciated.

Also is it my imagination or do the planks swell slightly and then when dry shrink. I have in the past used soaked plants and a hot steam iron to shape the timber and find the next day a gap where there wasn't a gap the night before. Not that this worries me too much on the first layer but it does trouble on the next.

Brex1949

Hi Gents, there are many ways of bending and shaping planks and yes Brex, soaking planks is likely to cause swelling and shrinking with each plank reacting differently, gaps are likely to appear as the planks dry out.... I didn't find any problems using the bamboo supplied and found my method of bending and shaping the planks worked very well for me.... If you flex the plank you will find the plank will bend easier in one direction rather than the other, always apply the bend the direction the plank bends the easiest. By holding the area of the plank to be bent over a steaming kettle and bending gently you will find the plank will bend quite quickly. Continue to check the shaping on the hull as you go applying more steam if necessary to carry out any corrections... When happy, pin the plank in place temporarily and leave to dry fully, ideally overnight... When the planks are dry then you can glue and fix in place. Also with bamboo, pre-drill the pin holes first and you should find splitting will be kept to a minimum... Lastly for me, the edges of the bamboo strips are rounded and I found by sanding the rounded edges off the planks, top and bottom resulted in a cleaner fit.

Hope this helps, if you have any queries or clarification then by all means get back to me...

Regards

Alan
Whizgig
#73 Posted : 18 July 2014 03:15:20

Nice work Jim and not to mention the great advise I am learning along the way reading up on everyone's builds.BigGrin
Tomick
#74 Posted : 18 July 2014 09:25:51

Groups:

Nice build method's Jim Cool
jock
#75 Posted : 19 July 2014 06:31:57

Thanks for the reply's first
The arc for the bending jig came from my Endeavor build, not quite severe enough but it is doing the job.
I allow a few days for the planks to dry completely before attaching them.
Thanks for the tip on the bending of the bamboo I hadn't noticed it before will take note now
Previous builds
jock
#76 Posted : 20 July 2014 07:13:35

Tried using pins and small drill, gave up and I've gone back to using thumb tacks pressed into the frames.

SOS38.jpg
SOS39.jpg
Previous builds
Whizgig
#77 Posted : 20 July 2014 08:07:00

It's looking very nice Jock.BigGrin
arpurchase
#78 Posted : 20 July 2014 08:52:06

BigGrin Hi Jim

Nice start on the planking

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#79 Posted : 20 July 2014 09:47:15

Looking good Jock, thumb tacks work just as well in fact probably better... Instead of using a small drill bit, cut the head of a pin, insert that into your drill to drill the pin holes. Think you will find it will work just the same and it won't snap that easily either.. lot cheaper too...

Regards

Alan