Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

27 Pages 123>»
George1 Build Options
George1
#1 Posted : 16 March 2014 10:03:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi other Aussies.
I'm building 'The Sovereign' and have finished issues one and two plus the two cannons. Have not yet added blocks but have added eye screws ready for them. Both cannons painted re bodywork red, wheels black, cannons dark bronze. Very tiny builds and fiddly, but had success and both look great.
I can see a number of tools will be required for the build and if anyone knows of modelling shop in Perth area where such tools available would be obliged. I do have a Dremel and kit so that's fine for any drilling or sanding. Will definitely need a one sided crimp-er re board/planks later re the bending required.
This is my first attempt at model ship building and so far found enjoyable.
I did make a motorized model car years ago but this is far more intriguing.

Regards to all

George1
Building HMS SOTS
Gandale
#2 Posted : 16 March 2014 10:17:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

George1 wrote:
Hi other Aussies.
I'm building 'The Sovereign' and have finished issues one and two plus the two cannons. Have not yet added blocks but have added eye screws ready for them. Both cannons painted re bodywork red, wheels black, cannons dark bronze. Very tiny builds and fiddly, but had success and both look great.
I can see a number of tools will be required for the build and if anyone knows of modelling shop in Perth area where such tools available would be obliged. I do have a Dremel and kit so that's fine for any drilling or sanding. Will definitely need a one sided crimp-er re board/planks later re the bending required.
This is my first attempt at model ship building and so far found enjoyable.
I did make a motorized model car years ago but this is far more intriguing.

Regards to all

George1

Welcome to the forum George, hope you will enjoy your time with us... Would be great to see some of your work in the form of a diary, hope you will put a diary together for all to see.....

Regards

Alan
George1
#3 Posted : 16 March 2014 10:23:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Gandale.

Thanks for welcome.

Will take some photos later as model progresses and post them.

Regards

George1
Building HMS SOTS
NickYates
#4 Posted : 16 March 2014 10:31:36

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Great to see yet another Aussye! Looking forward to seeing some of your work! Cool
George1
#5 Posted : 16 March 2014 12:23:37

Build so far for issuies one and two. Frame looks bent but only photo angle.

Regards

George1
Building HMS SOTS
bear01
#6 Posted : 16 March 2014 13:13:32

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looks good. I'm looking forward to watching all these other Aussie builds come together with each persons personal touches and style. Also, Welcome!
jase
#7 Posted : 16 March 2014 13:44:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice to see another build under way. Look forward to your progress.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
George1
#8 Posted : 18 March 2014 05:43:42

jase wrote:
Nice to see another build under way. Look forward to your progress.

Jase

Hi Jase

Will be getting issue three Thursday from newsagent.

Have permanent order with the newsagency for all issues re the SOTS.

As soon as I join three onto one and two build I will photograph and post.

Looking at the build sequences there looks to be very challenging times ahead. Can't wait to get past the first 10 issues.

Regards

George1
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#9 Posted : 20 March 2014 14:57:17

Issue 3 now joined to issues 1 and 2.
Anchor will leave as is till I get Admiralty Paints. Metal only has primer coat. Will leave wood section till all four anchors available. Whole section braced with angle brackets to keep straight.

Regards

George1
Building HMS SOTS
stevie_o
#10 Posted : 20 March 2014 19:02:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase
#11 Posted : 20 March 2014 20:15:41

BigGrin Looking good GeorgeCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#12 Posted : 20 March 2014 23:20:16

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good George, she will continue to grow as the weeks go by.... Cool Cool .. Will be following...

Regards

Alan
George1
#13 Posted : 21 March 2014 01:31:59

Thanks BigGrin

stevie_o

arpurchase

Gandale

Regards

George1
Building HMS SOTS
karl1113
#14 Posted : 21 March 2014 10:55:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi george,everything is looking good so far,well done.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
George1
#15 Posted : 23 March 2014 11:11:44

Thanks karl1113

I'm happy so far. My problem now is the weeks seem so long apart for next issue to arrive. BigGrin

Still it gives me plenty of time to look at other's builds and get tips.

Regards

George1
Building HMS SOTS
karl1113
#16 Posted : 23 March 2014 11:19:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

george you are really getting the bug,do what a lot of us are doing and get a smaller ship, it helps fill in the time between deliveries,and improve your modelling skills, and keeps you away from the pubs.BigGrin
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Martyn Ingram
#17 Posted : 23 March 2014 17:06:49

BigGrin Well done George keep the pics coming rgd Martyn ThumpUp
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
arpurchase
#18 Posted : 23 March 2014 17:26:21

BigGrin Hi George
At the start like where you are now each issue is quickly put together and you will have time on your hands but when the 1st layer of planking starts then things start to take time and perhaps you may not be finished with the last issue before the new one is available.
As Karl has suggested some people do a smaller build in between and this is an option to consider
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

George1
#19 Posted : 24 March 2014 02:07:18

Hi karl1113

Yes I thought about getting another model to keep myself from fretting till the next issue arrives each time. Will look at models however I'm a little limited regards spends and more or less budgeting for the SOTS plus tools and equipment. Any extra model would have to be cheap in price not quality of course.
Happy to hear any suggestions.BigGrin

Thanks Martyn Ingram.BigGrin

Hi arpurchase
Yes I have looked at some builds at the planking stage and understand what you are saying. It looks to be a situation where you have to take time and much care. Can't wait though. BigGrin

Regards to all

George1
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#20 Posted : 28 March 2014 01:59:28

Issue 4 joined on to previous issues. Will fill in bow with balsa when purchased. Then progressive fill as last of false keel put together.

Regards

George1
Building HMS SOTS