Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

27 Pages «<2324252627>
George1 Build Options
George1
#481 Posted : 05 September 2014 12:20:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

stevie_o wrote:
Nice job George, I quite enjoy the planking stage, give me that over rigging any dayBigGrin

Steve

Hi Steve. BigGrin

Thanks for the kind comments. They are as always greatly appreciated. Cool Cool

Yes, re the rigging. From what I've seen re models in the mags and other's builds at that stage I would have to agree it's a little bit daunting to know that's ahead for me one day. It looks great when done, but oh so fiddly. BigGrin Laugh

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#482 Posted : 05 September 2014 12:22:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

davetwin wrote:
Lovely looking job George ThumpUp

Hi Dave. BigGrin

Thanks for looking in and your nice comments. I do appreciate them always.Cool Cool

Hope I can get the rest of the planking done OK. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
Whizgig
#483 Posted : 05 September 2014 12:43:20

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking very good George,well done.BigGrin

Eugene.
Gandale
#484 Posted : 05 September 2014 23:10:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

So you have finally got the lower hull fully planked and a cracking job you have done with it George, very well done indeed....Cool Cool .. Now time to plank the upper section and with this try and select planks where knots in the plank will not lie in between ribs, this will help tremendously when you come to cut the gun ports out.....Cool Cool .. Keep up the great work George, will be dropping in as usual to follow your progress..

Regards

Alan
George1
#485 Posted : 06 September 2014 01:53:03

Whizgig wrote:
Looking very good George,well done.BigGrin

Eugene.

Hi Eugene. BigGrin

Thanks for your compliments. They are very much appreciated. Cool Cool

I'm getting there mate. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#486 Posted : 06 September 2014 01:57:55

Gandale wrote:
So you have finally got the lower hull fully planked and a cracking job you have done with it George, very well done indeed....Cool Cool .. Now time to plank the upper section and with this try and select planks where knots in the plank will not lie in between ribs, this will help tremendously when you come to cut the gun ports out.....Cool Cool .. Keep up the great work George, will be dropping in as usual to follow your progress..

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan. BigGrin

Thanks very much for your very kind compliments. As always they are greatly appreciated and give encouragement when coming from the likes of yourself. Cool Cool

I will definitely take note of the knotty sections on planks not to be situated between ribs. Thanks heaps for that. Cool Cool

Cutting out gun ports is going to test the mettle. BigGrin Laugh

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#487 Posted : 08 September 2014 05:35:56

What a bummerMad

Can't do anymore planking till at least issue 29 -30 when dummy cannon supports arrive ready for next deck. Mad

This is stupid no other word for it. Cursing

So I'm left twiddling my thumbs till then and this three weeks issues away from last issue. Mad

Not happy at all.Cursing

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
Whizgig
#488 Posted : 08 September 2014 07:22:53

George1 wrote:
What a bummerMad

Can't do anymore planking till at least issue 29 -30 when dummy cannon supports arrive ready for next deck. Mad

So I'm left twiddling my thumbs till then and this three weeks issues away from last issue. Mad

Not happy at all.Cursing

Regards

George

I know how you feel GeorgeCursing
I have everything setup and all I can do is to look at my workshop while waiting on deliveries so I can have something to do.Crying Mad

Eugene.
Gandale
#489 Posted : 08 September 2014 23:39:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

George1 wrote:
What a bummerMad

Not happy at all.Cursing

Regards

George

Ahhh George, the classic beginners syndrome.... enthusiasm laced with a touch of impatience....BigGrin .. We've all suffered it and some still do but its the nature of partworks. They are designed to accommodate builders with a vast variety of skills, time and of course budget.... Those with time tend to be inclined to push ahead where they can and it is something you need to be careful about... Many have pushed ahead of the scheduled build only to come a cropper later on. It is also the reason many modellers have more than one build on the go, it acts as a fill in while waiting for issues of their main build to be released..... A lot of others struggle to try and keep up mainly due to time constraints..... It's a case of trying to find a happy medium and I know it can at times be very frustrating having to sit there twiddling your thumbs waiting for parts, so consider a second build.. It doesn't have to be anything as large or as elaborate as the SOTS, it could be something a lot smaller, easy on your budget, in wood or some other medium. This would also help to perfect your skills and assist with the main build itself..... I know this doesn't alleviate your frustration but it's just suggestions to help you fill in the gaps..... Remember you are doing a cracking job and you should feel extremely proud with what you have achieved so far..... Keep it up, I'm sure the next couple of weeks will pass in no time at all..... Cool Cool

Best regards

Alan
George1
#490 Posted : 09 September 2014 03:37:25

Gandale wrote:
George1 wrote:
What a bummerMad

Not happy at all.Cursing

Regards

George

Ahhh George, the classic beginners syndrome.... enthusiasm laced with a touch of impatience....BigGrin .. We've all suffered it and some still do but its the nature of partworks. They are designed to accommodate builders with a vast variety of skills, time and of course budget.... Those with time tend to be inclined to push ahead where they can and it is something you need to be careful about... Many have pushed ahead of the scheduled build only to come a cropper later on. It is also the reason many modellers have more than one build on the go, it acts as a fill in while waiting for issues of their main build to be released..... A lot of others struggle to try and keep up mainly due to time constraints..... It's a case of trying to find a happy medium and I know it can at times be very frustrating having to sit there twiddling your thumbs waiting for parts, so consider a second build.. It doesn't have to be anything as large or as elaborate as the SOTS, it could be something a lot smaller, easy on your budget, in wood or some other medium. This would also help to perfect your skills and assist with the main build itself..... I know this doesn't alleviate your frustration but it's just suggestions to help you fill in the gaps..... Remember you are doing a cracking job and you should feel extremely proud with what you have achieved so far..... Keep it up, I'm sure the next couple of weeks will pass in no time at all..... Cool Cool

Best regards

Alan

Hi Alan. BigGrin

Thanks again for the compliments. Always appreciated.Cool Cool

Also really appreciate you going to the effort of trying to help at this time.Cool Cool
I agree with you regarding the points you have made and under normal times I probably would have been less concerned to be 'twiddling thumbs'. I've been using the time and concentration of the build to take mind off for a short time of Wife's situation in hospital where things seem to be always going wrong.
I don't write this for sympathy, more to explain perhaps my over reaction to having nothing to do. I do play games on my PS3 but then unfortunately feel guilty doing so at such a time. It's hard to feel a good compromise.

Anyway as I said thanks for your concern and efforts to help. They certainly are appreciated. Cool Cool

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#491 Posted : 15 September 2014 01:15:45

Thinking of delaying further build of SOTS as we get closer to Xmas. My workshop being the garage which is metal clad is going to be unbearable when our usual summer temperatures in Perth are around 40 degrees Celsius at that time meaning some 55-60 degrees in the garage re the metal roof.BigGrin I will then let the issues Accumulate till ready to start again. Will still post pics of build up till that time.BigGrin

I am looking to get hold of perhaps the "Spitfire" which from what I can see of its construction maybe being able to be built within the house which is air conditioned as against the SOTS which by its very construction requires an area where heavy sanding and other situations are a problem as they are within the house. BigGrin

If I do start a build of the "Spitfire" I will have a build diary if there is a place for it.BigGrin

Regards

George

PS why is the word Accumulate coming out spelt like this.
Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing
Building HMS SOTS
Whizgig
#492 Posted : 15 September 2014 10:11:47

George1 wrote:
Thinking of delaying further build of SOTS as we get closer to Xmas. My workshop being the garage which is metal clad is going to be unbearable when our usual summer temperatures in Perth are around 40 degrees Celsius at that time meaning some 55-60 degrees in the garage re the metal roof.BigGrin I will then let the issues Accomeulate till ready to start again. Will still post pics of build up till that time.BigGrin

I am looking to get hold of perhaps the "Spitfire" which from what I can see of its construction maybe being able to be built within the house which is air conditioned as against the SOTS which by its very construction requires an area where heavy sanding and other situations are a problem as they are within the house. BigGrin

If I do start a build of the "Spitfire" I will have a build diary if there is a place for it.BigGrin

Regards

George

PS why is the word Accomeulate coming out spelt like this.

Hi George, could you do your building at night or put in some ventilation in the shed to help with the heat, I will be using some Block foam insulation in my shed as I go along getting it sorted and lined eventually.

Eugene.
George1
#493 Posted : 15 September 2014 12:52:16

Whizgig wrote:
George1 wrote:
Thinking of delaying further build of SOTS as we get closer to Xmas. My workshop being the garage which is metal clad is going to be unbearable when our usual summer temperatures in Perth are around 40 degrees Celsius at that time meaning some 55-60 degrees in the garage re the metal roof.BigGrin I will then let the issues Accomeulate till ready to start again. Will still post pics of build up till that time.BigGrin

Regards

George

PS why is the word Accomeulate coming out spelt like this.

Hi George, could you do your building at night or put in some ventilation in the shed to help with the heat, I will be using some Block foam insulation in my shed as I go along getting it sorted and lined eventually.

Eugene.

Hi Eugene. BigGrin

That would be good but for me to put a ceiling in plus foam or other insulation is way outside of my current budget. BigGrin

I haven't made the decision lightly. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
jonny7england
#494 Posted : 15 September 2014 13:42:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi there George..Sorry to hear that you are thinking of delaying your sots build mate, and I can quite understand why...Can I suggest that if the garage temperature gets as high as you say, that you can move your sots build to an area of your home that will be cooler..That sort of heat could cause some pretty serious problems with your build while you are not working on it...Your idea of doing the spitfire build is brilliant!!
P.S...Yes, I am also guilty of playing with my PS 3...And still having all the consoles and games going back to the time of the year dot..you should have seen my wife's face when my daughter told me that she was buying me a PS4..CLASSIC!!! lol. You take care mate, whatever your decision George..I for one will still be popping in to see your progress.

Wink ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Whizgig
#495 Posted : 15 September 2014 15:06:52

George1 wrote:

Hi Eugene. BigGrin

That would be good but for me to put a ceiling in plus foam or other insulation is way outside of my current budget. BigGrin

Regards

George

Yep it is expensive that's why I will be doing mine slowly buying a few sheets per ftn, the heat is bad in a tin shed though I used to live in Darwin and in Arnhem land in QLD so I know what the heat can be like in a shed.
I hope you can find a cooler place to work in and continue with your build as I have been following it very closely and learning alot from it.

Eugene.
Gandale
#496 Posted : 16 September 2014 00:26:29

Hi George, really sorry to hear you are looking to delay the SOTS build further until after your summer is over.. Can understand and appreciate your reasons fully why and it must be really disappointing for you..... Be careful though, just as Jonny has mentioned, try and find somewhere in the house to store your build that will remain a constant temperature to avoid any potential warping damage due to temperature variations...Cool Cool.. Would it not be possible to carry out some of the build outdoors but in a shaded spot or is the temperature outside also unbearable??.... Great idea to take up the Spitfire and hope to be following your build diary on this very iconic aircraft.... Take care and look forward to seeing more progress on the SOTS after xmas....

Regards

Alan
George1
#497 Posted : 16 September 2014 02:45:47

jonny7england wrote:
Hi there George..Sorry to hear that you are thinking of delaying your sots build mate, and I can quite understand why...Can I suggest that if the garage temperature gets as high as you say, that you can move your sots build to an area of your home that will be cooler..That sort of heat could cause some pretty serious problems with your build while you are not working on it...Your idea of doing the spitfire build is brilliant!!
P.S...Yes, I am also guilty of playing with my PS 3...And still having all the consoles and games going back to the time of the year dot..you should have seen my wife's face when my daughter told me that she was buying me a PS4..CLASSIC!!! lol. You take care mate, whatever your decision George..I for one will still be popping in to see your progress.

Wink ThumpUp

Hi Jonny. BigGrin

Really appreciate you looking in and your comments. Cool Cool

Unfortunately no room in house to continue build of SOTS. The "Spitfire" yes as not so big or so much sanding and other necessities. BigGrin

Re the PS3 I believe PS4 is really good regards new games coming out. Currently playing Borderlands 2 plus add on pack. Very big shooter game that can go on for ages of full time play.BigGrin

I am not stopping SOTS build immediately more around November as that is when the heat starts so will still post pics up till then. However to continue after is impossible re that heat. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#498 Posted : 16 September 2014 02:50:03

Whizgig wrote:
George1 wrote:

Hi Eugene. BigGrin

Regards

George

Yep it is expensive that's why I will be doing mine slowly buying a few sheets per ftn, the heat is bad in a tin shed though I used to live in Darwin and in Arnhem land in QLD so I know what the heat can be like in a shed.
I hope you can find a cooler place to work in and continue with your build as I have been following it very closely and learning alot from it.

Eugene.

Hi Eugene. BigGrin

Will still be continuing till November unless Summer early. BigGrin

As you know Aus is getting hotter every year now and Summers coming earlier. BigGrin

Pleased you're getting something out of my build and if I can ever be a help let me know.BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#499 Posted : 16 September 2014 02:59:26

Gandale wrote:
Hi George, really sorry to hear you are looking to delay the SOTS build further until after your summer is over.. Can understand and appreciate your reasons fully why and it must be really disappointing for you..... Be careful though, just as Jonny has mentioned, try and find somewhere in the house to store your build that will remain a constant temperature to avoid any potential warping damage due to temperature variations...Cool Cool.. Would it not be possible to carry out some of the build outdoors but in a shaded spot or is the temperature outside also unbearable??.... Great idea to take up the Spitfire and hope to be following your build diary on this very iconic aircraft.... Take care and look forward to seeing more progress on the SOTS after xmas....

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan. BigGrin

Will still carry on with Sots for now. Sorry if I gave impression of an immediate stop. BigGrin

Yes, re storage when I do stop is something I've been looking at. Funny enough even in the house it is not an easy task to find such storage area. We really need another room. Laugh Obviously I will have to overcome the problem. BigGrin

Re the "Spitfire" I will try to budget for it so I can go from one to the other smoothly. I can use my den to build it as I did originally with SOTS till the mess started to build up then had to move to garage. It doesn't appear to be quite as much in the way of sanding etc. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
Gandale
#500 Posted : 17 September 2014 00:22:21

George1 wrote:
Gandale wrote:

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan. BigGrin

Will still carry on with Sots for now. Sorry if I gave impression of an immediate stop. BigGrin

Yes, re storage when I do stop is something I've been looking at. Funny enough even in the house it is not an easy task to find such storage area. We really need another room. Laugh Obviously I will have to overcome the problem. BigGrin

Re the "Spitfire" I will try to budget for it so I can go from one to the other smoothly. I can use my den to build it as I did originally with SOTS till the mess started to build up then had to move to garage. It doesn't appear to be quite as much in the way of sanding etc. BigGrin

Regards

George

Hi George, no matter what you decide to do whether on the SOTS or the spitfire I will be following your progress all the way.... Do hope you are able to continue with the SOTS even if it means doing some of the messy work outdoors..... Your decision and whatever way you go I will respect and understand..... Cool Cool .. One thing we always say with these builds is it's not a race but a passionate journey so do what you can, when you can but most of all enjoy it......Cool Cool

Best regards

Alan