Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

27 Pages «<24252627>
George1 Build Options
George1
#501 Posted : 18 September 2014 03:59:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Gandale wrote:
George1 wrote:
Gandale wrote:
Hi George, really sorry to hear you are looking to delay the SOTS build further until after your summer is over.. Can understand and appreciate your reasons fully why and it must be really disappointing for you..... Be careful though, just as Jonny has mentioned, try and find somewhere in the house to store your build that will remain a constant temperature to avoid any potential warping damage due to temperature variations...Cool Cool.. Would it not be possible to carry out some of the build outdoors but in a shaded spot or is the temperature outside also unbearable??.... Great idea to take up the Spitfire and hope to be following your build diary on this very iconic aircraft.... Take care and look forward to seeing more progress on the SOTS after xmas....

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan. BigGrin

Will still carry on with Sots for now. Sorry if I gave impression of an immediate stop. BigGrin

Yes, re storage when I do stop is something I've been looking at. Funny enough even in the house it is not an easy task to find such storage area. We really need another room. Laugh Obviously I will have to overcome the problem. BigGrin

Re the "Spitfire" I will try to budget for it so I can go from one to the other smoothly. I can use my den to build it as I did originally with SOTS till the mess started to build up then had to move to garage. It doesn't appear to be quite as much in the way of sanding etc. BigGrin

Regards

George

Hi George, no matter what you decide to do whether on the SOTS or the spitfire I will be following your progress all the way.... Do hope you are able to continue with the SOTS even if it means doing some of the messy work outdoors..... Your decision and whatever way you go I will respect and understand..... Cool Cool .. One thing we always say with these builds is it's not a race but a passionate journey so do what you can, when you can but most of all enjoy it......Cool Cool

Best regards

Alan

Hi Alan.BigGrin

I now see where as you've said previously that there were planks left over or if you like planks excess to requirements. BigGrin

Issues 27 and 28 which I will pick up today are both planks pins etc. They will now be in excess as when 29 and 30 arrive there is no planking till these are fitted then 31 is planks again. BigGrin

Looking at this situation in its best light at least the best of the planks can be utilized instead of trying to use all planks regardless of their state cut to shorter lengths etc., as have done up till now.BigGrin

This is not a moan just I can see where your earlier info on excess planks came from. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
fredsmit
#502 Posted : 21 September 2014 19:21:06

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Excess planks are evil and makes me want to build ahead. Must resist. 10/10 with the planking George, looks really good.

Current Builds:
Sovereign of the Seas
The Black Pearl
Amati Adventure Pirate Ship
George1
#503 Posted : 22 September 2014 02:01:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

fredsmit wrote:
Excess planks are evil and makes me want to build ahead. Must resist. 10/10 with the planking George, looks really good.

Hi Fred. BigGrin

Thanks for the 10/10 it's greatly appreciated while really it should be more like 7-8/10. Laugh

While the situation re issues has held me up regards not being able to do more till 29-30 arrive the excess as I said will at least allow more choice of best planks to use. BigGrin

Plenty of builds to follow if wanting to move ahead. Most UK builders of SOTS now into their second year of build.BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#504 Posted : 06 October 2014 12:52:40

Pics up to issue 30.BigGrin

Stern section and dummy cannon supports and painted black. BigGrin

NOTE: If you haven't yet done this section. The dummy cannon supports come in three widths. The instructions are to cut the widest supports at 248 mm long then various measurements re the half way through cuts. I found that this length was 10 mm overhang past second last rib before stern section where a short 41 mm piece from cut off second widest support goes in to finish off. So had to cut to 238 mm to fit half way through that rib for short piece to fit at halfway through rib and into stern area.BigGrin

Obviously follow the instructions, but only dry fit first and if like me you find 10 mm overhang cut to the 238 mm length instead.The half way through cuts are correct still on this piece. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
Whizgig
#505 Posted : 06 October 2014 13:42:00

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looks bonza George you are coming along with this nicely. SweetBigGrin

Eugene.
arpurchase
#506 Posted : 06 October 2014 19:15:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice work on the planking GeorgeCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

stevie_o
#507 Posted : 06 October 2014 19:34:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

delboy271155
#508 Posted : 06 October 2014 21:29:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi George, BigGrin BigGrin

Bang on mate WTG,

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#509 Posted : 06 October 2014 23:26:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

She's looking fab George, your patience is paying off and you are spot on regarding the length (238mm) for the dummy gun support running to the stern.. This discrepancy was also pointed out on Mr T's official build which confirms your findings....Cool Cool .. Keep up the great work you are doing and I look forward to your next post....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
George1
#510 Posted : 07 October 2014 01:50:22

Whizgig wrote:
Looks bonza George you are coming along with this nicely. SweetBigGrin

Eugene.

Hi Eugene. BigGrin

Thanks for compliments they are appreciated mate. Cool Cool

Hopefully now I can surge ahead re planking upper area. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#511 Posted : 07 October 2014 01:51:52

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Nice work on the planking GeorgeCool

Hi Andy. BigGrin

Thanks for looking in and your compliments. As always appreciated. Cool Cool

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#512 Posted : 07 October 2014 01:53:50

stevie_o wrote:
Nice work George, very smoothBigGrin

Steve

Hi Steve. BigGrin

Appreciate your kind words. As always they are very much appreciated.Cool Cool

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#513 Posted : 07 October 2014 01:56:09

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi George, BigGrin BigGrin

Bang on mate WTG,

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Hi Derek. BigGrin

Thanks for looking in and your kind words. They are always appreciated.Cool Cool

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#514 Posted : 07 October 2014 02:01:15

Gandale wrote:
She's looking fab George, your patience is paying off and you are spot on regarding the length (238mm) for the dummy gun support running to the stern.. This discrepancy was also pointed out on Mr T's official build which confirms your findings....Cool Cool .. Keep up the great work you are doing and I look forward to your next post....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan. BigGrin

Thanks for your nice compliments. They are as always greatly appreciated. Cool Cool

Yes re the 238-248 mm length I did wonder at such a discrepancy so glad I was right. BigGrin Or starting to think my build 10 mm short.Laugh

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
Martyn Ingram
#515 Posted : 07 October 2014 09:47:16

BigGrin Nice work on the planking George looking good Cool Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
George1
#516 Posted : 07 October 2014 13:52:35

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Nice work on the planking George looking good Cool Rgd Martyn

Hi Martyn. BigGrin

Thanks for looking in and your kind words. As always it is greatly appreciated. Cool Cool

Regards

George.
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#517 Posted : 08 October 2014 08:37:23

Alan if you happen to look in. BigGrin

I notice that the very rear of the ship's gallery juts out some 1/2 mm from the plank below. I checked your build and it looks to be the same. Now the first plank from bow to stern that has to be laid next covers that small gap between the last plank and ship's gallery. Do you need to shave level with plank below or does the plank end jut out just that little bit a that point Confused

Appreciate your thoughts before I start upper planking. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
birdaj2
#518 Posted : 08 October 2014 09:50:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

George

You have really progressed at a pace with this one and produced a very good looking hull.

Very well done
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#519 Posted : 08 October 2014 22:39:19

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

George1 wrote:
Alan if you happen to look in. BigGrin

I notice that the very rear of the ship's gallery juts out some 1/2 mm from the plank below. I checked your build and it looks to be the same. Now the first plank from bow to stern that has to be laid next covers that small gap between the last plank and ship's gallery. Do you need to shave level with plank below or does the plank end jut out just that little bit a that point Confused

Appreciate your thoughts before I start upper planking. BigGrin

Regards

George

Hi George, think I follow your concerns here. Don't worry about how far the plank extends beyond the stern, I left that plank a little longer, 2mm I think and you will find later in the build you will trim that plank down but don't do it yet, you need the overhang.. Have a look at Mr T's Official build issue 33, the final couple of photo's should make it all clear to you.....Cool Cool .. Hope this answers you question, if not then do get back to me..

Regards

Alan
George1
#520 Posted : 09 October 2014 02:25:42

birdaj2 wrote:
George

You have really progressed at a pace with this one and produced a very good looking hull.

Very well done

Hi Tony. BigGrin

Appreciated you looking in and the kind comments. Cool Cool

It's getting there. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS