Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

27 Pages «<252627
George1 Build Options
George1
#521 Posted : 09 October 2014 02:30:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Gandale wrote:
George1 wrote:
Alan if you happen to look in. BigGrin

I notice that the very rear of the ship's gallery juts out some 1/2 mm from the plank below. I checked your build and it looks to be the same. Now the first plank from bow to stern that has to be laid next covers that small gap between the last plank and ship's gallery. Do you need to shave level with plank below or does the plank end jut out just that little bit a that point Confused

Appreciate your thoughts before I start upper planking. BigGrin

Regards

George

Hi George, think I follow your concerns here. Don't worry about how far the plank extends beyond the stern, I left that plank a little longer, 2mm I think and you will find later in the build you will trim that plank down but don't do it yet, you need the overhang.. Have a look at Mr T's Official build issue 33, the final couple of photo's should make it all clear to you.....Cool Cool .. Hope this answers you question, if not then do get back to me..

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan. BigGrin

Thanks for your reply. It's very much appreciated. Cool Cool

I checked Tomick's Official Build Issue 33 and can plainly see what occurs at that position rear of gallery. I will leave overhang as you have pointed out regarding that particular plank. BigGrin

Thanks again Alan. Cool Cool

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#522 Posted : 10 October 2014 01:41:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Issue 31 did not arrive at newsagents so now waiting on that. Mad

I do have planks from issues 27 and 28 unused so if I am to carry on will have to follow other builds and not the mag instructions. Or wait for issue 31 to arrive. Mellow

So maybe a while before more pics. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
Whizgig
#523 Posted : 10 October 2014 08:47:38

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

George1 wrote:

I do have planks from issues 27 and 28 unused so if I am to carry on will have to follow other builds and not the mag instructions. Or wait for issue 31 to arrive. Mellow

Regards

George

Bummer ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown on the no issues George I had a look to see if I had 31 but I only have up to 30 as mine comes once a month and if I did have it I could have scanned it for you and sent you a copy unless someone else here who has it and could do it for you?

Eugene.
Gandale
#524 Posted : 10 October 2014 22:39:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi George, sorry to hear your issue 31 hasn't shown up, hopefully it will arrive very soon.... If you do wish to continue then issue 32 is simply adding another 3 rows either side of the upper hull leaving a 2mm overhang at the bow bulkhead, this will be trimmed back later. However, be very careful when adding these rows as the ribs 7, 13, 15 and 16 are likely to break if you try pinning into them, best to glue and clamp into position.

Issue 34 is again adding 3 rows but there is some tapering of planks to be done on this one... close watch on Mr T's official build for this part is highly recommended...

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan
George1
#525 Posted : 11 October 2014 01:41:20

Whizgig wrote:
George1 wrote:

Regards

George

Bummer ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown on the no issues George I had a look to see if I had 31 but I only have up to 30 as mine comes once a month and if I did have it I could have scanned it for you and sent you a copy unless someone else here who has it and could do it for you?

Eugene.

Hi Eugene.

Yes a bit of a bummer. Appreciate very much your thoughts and trying to help.Cool Cool

I'll scan Tomick's Official Build along with others and see if I can carry on without issue 31.BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#526 Posted : 11 October 2014 01:46:11

Gandale wrote:
Hi George, sorry to hear your issue 31 hasn't shown up, hopefully it will arrive very soon.... If you do wish to continue then issue 32 is simply adding another 3 rows either side of the upper hull leaving a 2mm overhang at the bow bulkhead, this will be trimmed back later. However, be very careful when adding these rows as the ribs 7, 13, 15 and 16 are likely to break if you try pinning into them, best to glue and clamp into position.

Issue 34 is again adding 3 rows but there is some tapering of planks to be done on this one... close watch on Mr T's official build for this part is highly recommended...

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan. BigGrin

Thanks for looking in and your help on the missing 31 issue. Cool Cool

I definitely will check out Tomick's Official Build along with others if I decide not to wait for issue 31 to arrive.BigGrin

Thanks for your tip on not pinning planks re rib weakness in the upper sections. Appreciated. Cool Cool

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#527 Posted : 16 October 2014 11:44:50

Hi All. If you're looking in this is a small update.BigGrin

Thought I'd be patient for a change and wait for issue 31 to arrive so I could follow mag instructions instead of looking on computer then out to the garage trying to remember what I had gleaned from other builds regards 31. You'll guess what happened: Issue 32 arrived instead so 31 now on back order. Not that the plank needs are any different just instructions not there re 31. BigGrin

As it is we had 37 degrees Celsius Wednesday so garage around 48 plus Celsius so couldn't do much anyway. BigGrin

As soon as a cooler day arrives I will get back into it. BigGrin

I'll just keep going till I reach top regards planking. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
Whizgig
#528 Posted : 16 October 2014 14:34:35

George1 wrote:

Thought I'd be patient for a change and wait for issue 31 to arrive so I could follow mag instructions instead of looking on computer then out to the garage trying to remember what I had gleaned from other builds regards 31. You'll guess what happened: Issue 32 arrived instead so 31 now on back order. Not that the plank needs are any different just instructions not there re 31. BigGrin

As it is we had 37 degrees Celsius Wednesday so garage around 48 plus Celsius so couldn't do much anyway. BigGrin

Regards

George

What Bummer again on the issue 31 yep and that heat would not be nice at all I hope you get some nice mild days soon George or you could move down here to Victoria I've had to have the heater on all week as our weather has gone back to winter at the moment.BigGrin

Eugene.
Gandale
#529 Posted : 16 October 2014 23:16:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi George, sorry to hear the heat is keeping you away from your build... Missing issue 31 shouldn't be a problem if you have the planks as its adding 3 rows either side, main one you need is issue 32 as there is the tapering of some planks to content with so you have the instructions for that.... Hope you get the chance to carry on real soon.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
George1
#530 Posted : 17 October 2014 02:56:25

Whizgig wrote:
George1 wrote:

Regards

George

What Bummer again on the issue 31 yep and that heat would not be nice at all I hope you get some nice mild days soon George or you could move down here to Victoria I've had to have the heater on all week as our weather has gone back to winter at the moment.BigGrin

Eugene.

Hi Eugene. BigGrin

Yes the cooler conditions are more conducive to modelling than the heat. BigGrin

I did live in Victoria for a while in Melbourne and a while in Geelong working at the Meat Works there, but that was many years ago. BigGrin

Currently envy your heater situation mate. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#531 Posted : 17 October 2014 03:02:28

Gandale wrote:
Hi George, sorry to hear the heat is keeping you away from your build... Missing issue 31 shouldn't be a problem if you have the planks as its adding 3 rows either side, main one you need is issue 32 as there is the tapering of some planks to content with so you have the instructions for that.... Hope you get the chance to carry on real soon.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan. BigGrin

By your comments I have at least received the more important issue re 32 and plank tapering requirements to follow. BigGrin

I'm like a greyhound at the starting gates waiting for temperature to drop to get started. Hope I don't stumble first few yards in the effort to get away. Laugh

Thanks again Alan for looking in and your help. Always appreciated. Cool Cool

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
John Passmore
#532 Posted : 17 November 2014 13:18:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi George

Just got back on line and catching up with things.
Your build to date is looking really good mate.Cool Cool
Don't worry about missing issues when it's just planking supplies - there is plenty of surplus at the end...BigGrin

Hope to see you back on board soon...Cool

Kind regards
JohnP
George1
#533 Posted : 08 December 2014 04:22:49

John Passmore wrote:
Hi George

Just got back on line and catching up with things.
Your build to date is looking really good mate.Cool Cool
Don't worry about missing issues when it's just planking supplies - there is plenty of surplus at the end...BigGrin

Hope to see you back on board soon...Cool

Kind regards
JohnP

Hi John and all others who look in periodically to see how I'm going.BigGrin

I am still picking up issues as they arrive at newsagents and storing however there will be no further building till next year around May when temps drop right down so this post to tell all not to waste time re my thread till you see me at top of board again next year with build pics.BigGrin

Thanks to all those who did follow my build earlier. It is and was greatly appreciated. Cool Cool

Wish all a very MERRY XMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR. BigGrin

Regards

George (Signing Off)
Building HMS SOTS
arpurchase
#534 Posted : 08 December 2014 22:23:56

BigGrin And a merry xmass to you also GeorgeCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#535 Posted : 08 December 2014 23:12:39

Sorry to see your not around just now George but can appreciate the reasons why not.... Look forward to seeing your return sometime next year and the progress you make with your build.....Cool Cool .. Until then, you and your family have a wonderful Xmas and a great New Year.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
George1
#536 Posted : 19 January 2015 04:45:16

Hi everyone. BigGrin

I see people are still looking into my thread and you are always welcome and appreciated however I won't be continuing build till April/May as our weather here is just too hot in my metal fabricated garage to work on build currently. It's around 45 to 50 Celcius in there.

So this message is so you don't waste your precious time checking out my thread till then.

As I said you are always welcome and always really appreciated. Anyway I'm sure you realize why I'm leaving this message when you come every few days and see nothing new. BigGrin

Happy New Year by the way. BigGrin

Regards to all.

George.
Building HMS SOTS
RobT
#537 Posted : 20 January 2015 00:43:08

George1 wrote:
Hi everyone. BigGrin

I see people are still looking into my thread and you are always welcome and appreciated however I won't be continuing build till April/May as our weather here is just too hot in my metal fabricated garage to work on build currently. It's around 45 to 50 Celcius in there.

So this message is so you don't waste your precious time checking out my thread till then.

As I said you are always welcome and always really appreciated. Anyway I'm sure you realize why I'm leaving this message when you come every few days and see nothing new. BigGrin

Happy New Year by the way. BigGrin

Regards to all.

George.

Fantastic build George, but with us Brits having to put up with sub zero temps, iced windscreens and even some with heavy snowfall, you're not gonna find much sympathy here Flapper
George1
#538 Posted : 20 January 2015 07:32:18

Hi RobT BigGrin

Thanks for your kind comment it is and always will be appreciated.Cool Cool

Sounds like it's a case of freeze or burn. Not much of a choice mate either end. BigGrin

I don't envy you as I remember as a child in Putney, London, during winter crying from the chillblains and my older brother threatening to flick my ears which I'm sure would have shattered at the time. BigGrin

All the best

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS