Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Grand Turk Options
doremi495
#1 Posted : 20 August 2010 01:22:21

Groups: Registered

Found this photo of Grand Turk. She was based on an 18th Century frigate. Used in Hornblower series as a stand-in as HMS Indefatigable. Also stood in for HMS Victory at 2005 Trafalgar Review. Was up for sale in 2009 for £1.5 milllion. Apart from that, know very little about her.
File Attachment(s):
Grand_Turk(01).jpg (436kb) downloaded 56 time(s).
Dave H

Current builds :- Hachette 1/16 Tiger Tank
H.M.S Victory, Santisima Trinidad (Section), 1/8 scale Aston Martin DB5, 1/8 scale McLaren, YNWA
thomasmoult
#2 Posted : 20 August 2010 01:25:53

She's moored at Whitby - been round it a few times over the years, well worth it if you're ever in the area.

If I had that sort of money I'd have her and be off round the world LOL

Tom
Mike Turpin
#3 Posted : 20 August 2010 10:36:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

thomasmoult wrote:
She's moored at Whitby - been round it a few times over the years, well worth it if you're ever in the area.

If I had that sort of money I'd have her and be off round the world LOL

Tom

I went over her at a maritime festival in Great Yarmouth a few years ago. She is a replica of a relatively small 28 gun Frigate and was built in Russia for I believe approx £4 million so she is a snip at only 1.5 million.

Perhaps we should all club together and just tell the wives we are sharing another model??? Drool Drool Cool

Mike T
jonny7england
#4 Posted : 20 August 2010 10:52:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I've got stacks of pictures of the Grand Turk as she visits Great Yarmouth almost every year for the maritime festival normally around late September time? She had an extended stay here last year owing to an accident between her and a visiting French clipper at the entrance to the harbour. Grand Turk landed up in dry dock for a few weeks for repairs...brill ship though, whether she will be here for this years festival, I am not sure, but wheelchar or no wheelchair...I will endeavour to get aboard her this time, that's for sure...Confused
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
snowtiger
#5 Posted : 20 August 2010 13:59:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news....but she was sold .....for 2 million .....and is now a floating resturant..i think it is in france.....i too have a few pics of her i will dig them out and scan a couple in....i even went round her once ....pity that we should loose one to the french.Cursing ..scarbrough council turned it down ...because they were too buisy spending shed loads of cash on scarbrough..Cursing ..and as usual Whitby got sod all....Mad
Mike Turpin
#6 Posted : 20 August 2010 14:09:04

Sounds like a cutting out expedition Angry -- Anyone fancy an undercover trip to France and fight for her to return to Great Britain!! Blink Blink

We beat them once at Trafalgar!! Glare Glare

Mike T
jonny7england
#7 Posted : 20 August 2010 19:22:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Damn fine idea Mike...what bad news losing the Grand Turk the the French..I'd write and complain to my MP but I think that he has French connections...me thinks we are being infiltrated ...LOL
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
doremi495
#8 Posted : 20 August 2010 21:03:33

Mike Turpin wrote:
Sounds like a cutting out expedition Angry -- Anyone fancy an undercover trip to France and fight for her to return to Great Britain!! Blink Blink

We beat them once at Trafalgar!! Glare Glare

Mike T

I may have to sit that one out Mike. They won't let me go to France on me bus passCrying Crying Crying
Dave H

Current builds :- Hachette 1/16 Tiger Tank
H.M.S Victory, Santisima Trinidad (Section), 1/8 scale Aston Martin DB5, 1/8 scale McLaren, YNWA
Mike Turpin
#9 Posted : 20 August 2010 21:37:02

You rely on your bus pass as wellBigGrin BigGrin

I got mine because I needed photo identification to fly to the Isle of Man.

Caused much confusion when I told my friends I was getting a bus pass to visit Isle of Man .. Which bus goes that way?? LOL

Mike T
thomasmoult
#10 Posted : 03 September 2010 18:36:36

I just read the newspaper online that reported the loss of the Turk to the damned French. Its such a shame as there was nothing better than arriving in the historic town of Whitby, known for its maritime connections, and seeing the Turk sitting there in the harbour.
I'm going up to Whitby for a week in a few weeks and was hoping to have another look around her Mad

Certainly says a bit about how much the councils care about such attractions Mad