Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages «<34567>»
SOS Options
Gandale
#81 Posted : 07 June 2014 10:41:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Brex, looking good with the infills... Any depressions you have can be easily filled with wood filler and sanded back.... Lovely work, will be following.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
bb1949
#82 Posted : 11 June 2014 11:19:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Thanks Allan, My QA inspector should provide a detailed report shortly. but here is the completed infill. George is right it is just a big whale!Blink
bb1949 attached the following image(s):
Balsa infill 2.jpg
balsa infill 4.jpg
bb1949
#83 Posted : 11 June 2014 12:19:00

Hi I have checked the starboard side near rib 3 to see if that depression is an illusion. [Scared
It is. Cool
Phew!

Brex.
George1
#84 Posted : 12 June 2014 02:38:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Brex. BigGrin

Infills looking spot on mate. Cool Cool

We both need to be careful regards the dead whales or we'll have the "Anti-Whaling" mob after us. Laugh

We get our issue 14 today (2nd Deck) so I'm looking forward to picking the issue up this morning. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
bb1949
#85 Posted : 12 June 2014 07:50:44

BigGrin Hey George, Issue 14 yeah! Collected mine about 6.30 your time and the mere sight of the thick sheets of ply knew we have measurable progress again. Brex.
jock
#86 Posted : 12 June 2014 12:19:55

Went to collect #14 but they had #15 instead have to wait till next week to see what turns up.
Previous builds
Bounty, Cutty Sark, Red Baron Triplane, Bismark,Titanic,Endeavour
http://jockspage.webs.com/
bb1949
#87 Posted : 12 June 2014 13:52:30

Hi Jock, How good is that? One week ahead! Let's hope you get back on track next week as you will need today's pieces.Blink

Brex.
mathewp
#88 Posted : 13 June 2014 05:50:32

G'day Brex. Your build is coming along nicely. I notice you are in my State as well. Planking can't be too far away now.
completed builds; Brig Perseverance, H.M.S. Bounty and San Marcos(almost)
bb1949
#89 Posted : 13 June 2014 11:45:37

Thanks Mathew. Good to see the Maroons getting a fair representation. BigGrin Yes I agree planking must be just around the corner. I recently had a CD given to me re planking timber boats so I better start viewing it. My earlier attempts have turned out ok but could be better. In my other current project I have soaked the planks overnight and then used an iron to shape the planks around the bow and stern. There has been some shrinkage around the bow in particular leaving a gap. Whilst this will be covered by the second planks it also reminds me to take care when I start the overlay using a different method (if necessary) to achieve a better outcome.

That explains why I will watch this CD over the weekend.Mellow
George1
#90 Posted : 14 June 2014 06:48:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Brex. BigGrin

Just a small help on 2nd decking if I may. That's if you do run into problem fitting. BigGrin

You may or not find some of the slots in the second decking a little short to get both inside edges to sit down even as I found. I ended up having to slightly deepen some slots to get to fit correctly especially the mast holes to be even when level. Almost like the rib frames closer than 2nd deck die cuts allowed for fitted. I had no problems at all with the first deck and it slotted in perfectly. BigGrin

I used a 2mm square needle file to do the slots. BigGrin

Hope that may be of help to you. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
bb1949
#91 Posted : 14 June 2014 15:37:18

Hi George. Yes I found the same problem and used an emery board to open the space up. I had dry fitted the decking and found the port side was a little bit out but both sides needed some attention. My alignment over the mast holes was also off and like you used a circular file which fixed that. I found the port side rear deck took a bit of manipulation to align to the cross bracing. I am trusting the gods at the moment as the deck seems to be pretty flimsy. I had considered putting some internal support but elected not to on the chance it would be visible. My deck isn't perfectly aligned either but close enough. I have just finished off blackening the section with photo's to follow tomorrow. Blink

Thanks for the warning very helpful.

Brex
George1
#92 Posted : 15 June 2014 02:42:52

Hi Brex. BigGrin

Pleased to have been some help to you. At least you knowing I had same problems and wasn't any mistakes you've made. BigGrin

Re the support beams for 2nd deck. If you had used more supports under beams they wouldn't have been seen later. It's a totally blind area after planking and cannon ports cut and the blacking you're doing now. The black backboard blocks vision. However I have no idea regarding the next deck if any helper supports under beams would be seen.BigGrin

Will look in when I see you've posted pics. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
bb1949
#93 Posted : 15 June 2014 06:24:18

Hi George. I would feel more comfortable if I had used the underlying support; to ensure the deck was properly supported and all joins were flush. I didn't spot my astern deck being uneven until later when the chance to easily fix it was gone. I will not do anything with this until I see the next stages.

The other thing I am noticing more about this project is just how much the camera highlights the imperfections. Through the eyes of the camera I am finding all sorts of flaws that I am not seeing. Maybe and from now on I should do a trial run, photograph it and then put it on the monitor and find the faults that way. I can assure you my monitors are unforgiving.

Anyway here are 2 pics to show progress.

Also purchased a planking tool yesterday for the other project and this beats soaking and steaming the strakes. I did have one before but found I couldn't use it properly. Maybe I have got better at it because this time the strakes on in half the time for a lot less effort and matched perfectly.

bb1949 attached the following image(s):
2014-06-15 09.29.21.jpg
2014-06-15 14.08.50.jpg
George1
#94 Posted : 15 June 2014 06:35:27

Hi Brex. BigGrin

The decking etc., looking good to me. Cool Cool

I know what you mean regards flaws when photographed. I had same problems show up that hadn't seen by eyesight. That's because the brain automatically adjusts to make objects seem balanced the camera doesn't. BigGrin

I wouldn't worry regards being a little out of level on the deck as you will be able to adjust easily as you build on top. Most of the well experienced builders have said there were odd sections they had to adjust for. BigGrin That stern deck to the join does slope a fair bit so if that's your problem it isn't one. BigGrin

The tool you purchased. Was it a one sided crimper like on my thread? It will be good to know if it is as it will give me more confidence re your remarks on usage. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
bb1949
#95 Posted : 15 June 2014 08:14:33

Hi George

Yes it is the sames as the one you have on your post P.9 Post 147. Mine cost about the same as well i.e. $13.90 (or thereabouts).

I have yet to view the CD on planking but I am pretty confident we will all do well on that subject. So far the instructions have been pretty good and with the experienced guys watching us I reckon we will be ok! BigGrin

Brex.
George1
#96 Posted : 18 June 2014 06:31:06

Hi Brex. BigGrin

Regarding planking later. I have a full list of various board and planking timbers available plus veneers from "Float A Boat" covering Oak, Sappelli, Mahogany and Basswood/Lime and others in packs. (Don't know amount in pack.) Prices around $8.50 Pack. The sizes range from as thin as 1mm x 3, x 4, x5, x6mm and so on as well as 1.5 mm x all the sizes above. Plus thicker with all the sizes.

I think what we get in issue is Bamboo and some Sapelli.

So if you're looking to do a stain on bottom of hull with Sapelli, Oak or Mahogany or the like let me know and I'll send you the list PM. BigGrin

Regards

George.
Building HMS SOTS
bb1949
#97 Posted : 19 June 2014 06:10:06

Hi George that would be good (and very timely) but I need to give you contact details. Do you know how to do that apart from putting it on this forum?

Also went to the newsagent to collect issue 15 today and was told there were no 15's supplied but they did get a fresh supply of issue 14. So it looks like I need to wait a week perhaps. Also those that got issue 15 last week, well let's hope they got 14 this week.
George1
#98 Posted : 19 June 2014 06:46:56

Hi Brex. BigGrin

That's a bit of a bummer not getting issue 15 this week. Mad

I was lucky and got issue 15. will post pics shortly of assembly. All OK except for the struts which you may find you'll need to do a very slight amount of filing of notches to fit right. BigGrin

Re sending list. I'll PM you the pertinent ones only re your PM which is at your bottom of posts. It won't show on forum. Just check on top of forum when you log in. Should be there as message. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
AdamHall
#99 Posted : 19 June 2014 06:58:20

George1 wrote:
Hi Brex. BigGrin

Regarding planking later. I have a full list of various board and planking timbers available plus veneers from "Float A Boat" covering Oak, Sappelli, Mahogany and Basswood/Lime and others in packs. (Don't know amount in pack.) Prices around $8.50 Pack. The sizes range from as thin as 1mm x 3, x 4, x5, x6mm and so on as well as 1.5 mm x all the sizes above. Plus thicker with all the sizes.

I think what we get in issue is Bamboo and some Sapelli.

So if you're looking to do a stain on bottom of hull with Sapelli, Oak or Mahogany or the like let me know and I'll send you the list PM. BigGrin

Regards

George.

G'day Brex / George,

Sorry to jump in here, but I am also looking into the possibility of using alternate timber finishes. I've read various accounts on the quality of the supplied bamboo, so just awaiting for the first batch of bamboo to be supplied in the magazine and doing a test run before making a final decision.

I've currently been searching what is available at Brunel Hobbies as well as Frontline Hobbies. The search for Aussie suppliers on the www continues (need to keep the small guy in business).

Regards,

Adam
bb1949
#100 Posted : 19 June 2014 10:10:42

Thanks Adam, Good to see your note. Sourcing scale timber has been problematic for me over the past years and I have particular need for 1mm x 1mm and 2mm x 2mm white timber to finish off my cross section of the Endeavour. Not as if there is any rush but again its a project with limited progress so I will look forward to hearing what you come up with.

Brex.