Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages «<45678>»
SOS Options
bb1949
#101 Posted : 19 June 2014 10:14:33

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Adam & George, I recall (some 25 years ago) you could actually get scale timber which I used to make buildings and structures model train layout In N and OO gauge but I haven't seen this material in our local hobby shop or indeed the web for a long time. I might try the ModelCraftsman at Blacktown (if they still exist)as it specialized in this type of thing.
George1
#102 Posted : 19 June 2014 10:20:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

bb1949 wrote:
Adam & George, I recall (some 25 years ago) you could actually get scale timber which I used to make buildings and structures model train layout In N and OO gauge but I haven't seen this material in our local hobby shop or indeed the web for a long time. I might try the ModelCraftsman at Blacktown (if they still exist)as it specialized in this type of thing.

Ready to send list if you send me email. BigGrin

It has 1mm x widths you require. I think ramin and basswood lime are both whitish. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
bb1949
#103 Posted : 19 June 2014 11:01:19

Hi George PM sent a few minutes ago. I am about to be dragged out shopping as wife is off to Adelaide for the weekend tomorrow night and we need stock up on boy food!

See you shortly BigGrin
George1
#104 Posted : 22 June 2014 02:47:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Brex. BigGrin

Just a tip that may help re fitting brass mesh pieces in launch. BigGrin

I don't know how far you have gone with launch however when you do get to fit brass mesh in bottom of launch after dry fitting for shape and trimming if necessary you'll want to blacken with burnisher. Well, you'll find it just won't work.Huh

They are not brass and are anodised metal of some type. It doesn't matter if you soak them or brush it on it will have no effect at all on the anodising. (Maybe soaked for a month might work. Laugh )

You'll need to use an emery board and file till you remove all anodising back to metal on the side you want to face upwards. Be careful not to groove while filing. Once all cleaned off back to base metal, surface will then blacken in 15-30 seconds. Leave for a couple of minutes and then pick up in pincers and rinse in water. Pat dry only and if satisfied OK, if not do process over and leave longer till happy. Then glue in place. BigGrin

Watch the glue as it will seep through top of mesh so only corners on to the foot boards ends. BigGrin

Hope that will stop you being as frustrated as I was trying to blacken anodised metal. Laugh

I had visions of blackening all the brass fittings as no brass on ships those days all iron fittings. However if all the fittings are anodised metal I'll have to think again. Or emery board everything. Confused

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
bb1949
#105 Posted : 22 June 2014 06:50:58

Hi George. Thanks for the heads up. I have not progressed to the skiff for the second time, as I am still waiting for the relevant issue to arrive (back orders take a few weeks to process), before starting again. But I can understand how annoying / frustrating it can be when you put a lot effort into something when the odds are against you from the start.
John Passmore
#106 Posted : 22 June 2014 17:17:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

G'day Brex and George

Thanks for the heads-up George on the "brass" mesh. I've been searching all over for blackening fluid without success so far, but it seems the mesh is not brass at all? Confused So maybe I can stop looking now.
If it's anodised as you say, perhaps a small wire brush will remove it? What do you think guys? I haven't tried anything - yet...BigGrin

Your whale is looking good Brex.

Regards
JohnP

AdamHall
#107 Posted : 22 June 2014 17:50:32

John Passmore wrote:
G'day Brex and George

Thanks for the heads-up George on the "brass" mesh. I've been searching all over for blackening fluid without success so far, but it seems the mesh is not brass at all? Confused So maybe I can stop looking now.
If it's anodised as you say, perhaps a small wire brush will remove it? What do you think guys? I haven't tried anything - yet...BigGrin

Your whale is looking good Brex.

Regards
JohnP

Hi guys,

I'm nowhere near ready to blacken the mesh yet. I was planning on using some patina that I use in my stained glass work to blacken copper foil. The foil generally needs a slight rub with steel wool to roughen the surface and the patina applied. But whether this is suitable for the brass mesh remains to be seen. Not sure if there is enough off-cuts to attempt any test pieces.

I think the trick is to use a blackening solution that bond to the surface and not clog the mesh. Maybe some diluted enamel paint or ink? Dip the piece in the paint / ink for 30 seconds or so and remove. You could probably use a straw to blow the excess fluid from the mesh. A bit of a messy evolution best done outdoors. I think I read about such an option in a previous forum (either SoS or Victory, I can't recall which one).

Regards,

Adam
George1
#108 Posted : 23 June 2014 02:22:13

Hi Brex, Adam and John,BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Re the burnishing. (Blackening of anodised metal mesh.)

John; You can get "Burnisher" from gun shops. You will need it to blacken the mesh after treatment re emery board or if some other solution can be found to remove anodising so burnisher will work. BigGrin

Adam; Maybe what you say may work. I somehow would be surprised though as hard for watery paint to stick to anodising. I think you would need to metal prime first and that will likely clog holes. BigGrin

Hi Brex; BigGrin

Sorry to use your thread re reply Adam and John, but queries asked here.

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
bb1949
#109 Posted : 26 June 2014 09:45:42

BigGrin No worries George I get pleasure reading them so anytime mate.

Got issue 15 today so something to do again apart from rebuilding the skiff, which I started on Tuesday. At the moment and at best I have about 60 minutes of build time during the week and a bit of time on the weekend.. Also posted a PM to you.
George1
#110 Posted : 26 June 2014 11:22:22

bb1949 wrote:
BigGrin No worries George I get pleasure reading them so anytime mate.

Got issue 15 today so something to do again apart from rebuilding the skiff, which I started on Tuesday. At the moment and at best I have about 60 minutes of build time during the week and a bit of time on the weekend.. Also posted a PM to you.

Hi Brex. BigGrin

I can appreciate your limited time re building. If you're working it's hard at times to make time. I know from previous working experience 7 a.m. till sometimes 8 p.m. and further work at home.BigGrin

I got your PM and have saved to my favourites so I can look at it with time and leisure.BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
bb1949
#111 Posted : 27 June 2014 10:13:16

Confused You know when you get your next issue and you read the instructions and then confidently start the build. Then on turning the page you ask 'what the ?' You look again and ask what's missing and then enlightenment arrives. It's issue 15. Of course this week I got issue 16 not issue 15 which has yet to arrive. Ok so I turn to rebuilding the skiff... slowly of course.BigGrin
George1
#112 Posted : 28 June 2014 07:28:01

Hi Brex. BigGrin

Saw your URL. BigGrin

Very interesting. Hope they can get to make a movie. Should be more of this kind of history.BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
bb1949
#113 Posted : 29 June 2014 11:45:01

Hi George. Yes I agree and if we can make it so then all the better. I have redone as much as I can on the skiff and thought I would show the second edition.

Brex.
bb1949
#114 Posted : 29 June 2014 12:44:28

Hi Here are the shots of the remodeled skiff. Still some cleaning up to do but getting closer to the mark.
bb1949 attached the following image(s):
20140629_203015.jpg
20140629_203027 (1).jpg
George1
#115 Posted : 29 June 2014 15:01:18

Hi Brex. BigGrin

Launch looking very good.Cool Should come out all right this time. Cool

Are you going to paint or stain?

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
bb1949
#116 Posted : 30 June 2014 14:04:07

Hi George. I am still not sure which way to go at this stage. I have used paints and washes on the outside of the original skiff I built and will use stains on the inside. At the moment I need to clean up the inner to get a reasonable perspective as there are a few bits of glue and filler poking through.

My main issue with staining the outside of the new version is some of the timber is already stained from sources I am not sure about, maybe oil from my fingers or form soaking the timber overnight to make it more flexible. Whatever the cause there are darker spots that mar the final finish if I intend to use a clear only.

Another option is to use a lightly coloured stain and if it works over coat that with a clear.

If the stain does not work then from your experience is it ok to overcoat the stain with an acrylic (note no clear finish applied at this stage).

The other question is of course were these skiffs varnished or painted or stained originally. Not sure on that. Any suggestion?

Thanks.
Brex.
George1
#117 Posted : 30 June 2014 15:05:59

bb1949 wrote:
Hi George. I am still not sure which way to go at this stage. I have used paints and washes on the outside of the original skiff I built and will use stains on the inside. At the moment I need to clean up the inner to get a reasonable perspective as there are a few bits of glue and filler poking through.

My main issue with staining the outside of the new version is some of the timber is already stained from sources I am not sure about, maybe oil from my fingers or form soaking the timber overnight to make it more flexible. Whatever the cause there are darker spots that mar the final finish if I intend to use a clear only.

Another option is to use a lightly coloured stain and if it works over coat that with a clear.

If the stain does not work then from your experience is it ok to overcoat the stain with an acrylic (note no clear finish applied at this stage).

The other question is of course were these skiffs varnished or painted or stained originally. Not sure on that. Any suggestion?

Thanks.
Brex.

Hi Brex. BigGrin

Re your query;

So long as it was only stain and so long as fully dry it should take water based paint OK if that's the way you then finally decide to go. BigGrin

As far as stained and varnished as you'd realise it's up to the modeller, however the official build style is painted; Burgundy/Maroon top half outside and fully within; bottom half ivory white.BigGrin

There is also a strip of "Bling" that runs down the outside in the Burgundy/Maroon paint on top half. Not that it matters if it was stained and varnished. As far as finishes I prefer the painted after seeing a couple of varnishes. Again that's me not everyone. If the planking had been say sapele or likewise then yes I'd go for stain and varnish. BigGrin

Hope that's of some help. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
AdamHall
#118 Posted : 01 July 2014 03:31:02

Hi Brex,

Good to see that your launch MkII is coming along well.

Just thought I would pass a quick comment regarding stain / acrylic (however you may be aware of this already and I am not sure how you are going to go about painting the two types of finishes).

Anyhow, acrylic paint will not bond well if applied onto oil based paint / stain. This is if you are thinking of doing any overcoats onto the stain (if it is oil based).

Not telling you how to suck eggs, but, just thought I would pass this comment to you in order to avoid a potential launch MkIII.

Regards,

Adam
bb1949
#119 Posted : 01 July 2014 11:21:21

Hi Adam,

I have no issue with your offer of help here. In fact I appreciate it a lot and I encourage you to do so.

I mostly use water based paints, washes and clears, and sometimes overlook there are oil based paints, stains and clears.

I did try the stain but the effect was less than hoped for. The outcome was a 'dirty' look which was not pleasing at all.

First 2 Photos's attached show the use of n acrylic mid tone brown on the hull, with one side also coated with a darker brown wash. Neither look any good. I also used an oi;l based stain on the gun-whales which looks even worse highlighting the defects.

3rd shot shot shows the new version lightly stained on one side and unstained the other. Staining is definitely not the go for me here.

bb1949 attached the following image(s):
skiff 1- painted.jpg
skiff 1 - painted side 2.jpg
Skiff 3 new.jpg
bb1949
#120 Posted : 01 July 2014 11:47:02

Hey George. Many thanks on the livery and the staining. I now know which way to go i.e. paint not stain. Thank you.

I have attached some photos to show the various effects and have to agree browns are out and burgundy (maroon) is in! After all being a Queenslander what other choice is there? Certainly not blue. BigGrin