Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages «<6789>
SOS Options
Gandale
#141 Posted : 18 July 2014 22:52:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

bb1949 wrote:
Hey George, I have had no problem with my pin vice, and found it fits nicely into my power drill and works well. Ok I loose a bit or two along the way (I can be very clumsy) but that's collateral damage. In fact I loose less bits this way then by hand! BigGrin

As I was putting some planks on last night I recalled my neighbour (a Scot from Aberdeen). He was a builder. When I was a boy, his son and I would sit for hours at a time ( or so it seemed) straightening out the bent house nails which he would then reuse. I have been tempted to do the same with the pins we get today but decided against it. So like you I am using my future stock and just hope I don't run out in the end. [Scared

Brex.

Hi Brex, rather than go through a supply of the really small fragile drill bits you may like to consider cutting the head off a supplied pin, insert that into your pin vice and use that to pre drill your holes in the planks.... A lot cheaper than drill bits and does the job just as well. The beauty of this is they don't snap.... If you want even smaller holes then do the same with a dressmakers pin.... As for running out of pins, have a look at my recent post on George's build regarding the use of small map pins...., you could even use dressmakers pins if push comes to it.... at least you may be able to continue even if you run out of the supplied pins....

Happy building, hope this helps...

Regards

Alan
George1
#142 Posted : 19 July 2014 08:12:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Brex. BigGrin

Took Alan's advice on Map Pins and lucky didn't have to purchase as wife had whole box in sewing gear. BigGrin

Comparing the two, Nails and Map Pins it's like chalk and cheese. The Map Pins can be driven all the way home if springy piece of plank demands it and easy to remove later, where Nail if driven home to the head because same problem it is hard to remove later.BigGrin

I can now catch up to where I wanted to be re the planking. It's all go again.BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
Gandale
#143 Posted : 19 July 2014 09:28:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi George, nice to hear you are back on the build and the map pin idea helped you get going again... Just a word of caution about map pins with the plastic heads, don't be tempted to push in the map pin with just your thumb, has been known for the head to split and for the pin to go straight into your thumb. Painful experience. I push them in using long nose pliers after pre-drilling the pin hole...

Regards

Alan
George1
#144 Posted : 20 July 2014 04:41:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Alan and Brex. BigGrin BigGrin

Thanks Alan for the warning re the Map Pins its appreciated. They are working a treat. Cool Cool

Brex will take note as well. BigGrin

Regards

George.
Building HMS SOTS
Gandale
#145 Posted : 20 July 2014 09:50:25

George1 wrote:
Hi Alan and Brex. BigGrin BigGrin

Thanks Alan for the warning re the Map Pins its appreciated. They are working a treat. Cool Cool

Brex will take note as well. BigGrin

Regards

George.

If you look at Jock's build you will see thumb tacks work just as well....

Regards

Alan
bb1949
#146 Posted : 22 July 2014 11:44:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Alan & George, Just caught up on the posts and agree about the drawing pins etc. I am not brave enough to approach the sewing basket but I do have a contingency plan!

The good news is I am actively planking the forward end whilst still short of issues 15 & 17. In fact I do hope to take some time tonight (Tuesday) to do some more planking and show you the updates later tonight or tomorrow. BigGrin

Brex.
George1
#147 Posted : 30 July 2014 03:44:48

Hi Brex. BigGrin

Where's 'u' bin' mate? BigGrinOutside with the others!Laugh

Really I hope everything OK. Confused

Have you got your missing issues yet? Blink

Missing your input mate. BigGrin

Regards

George.
Building HMS SOTS
bb1949
#148 Posted : 01 August 2014 08:13:17

BigGrin Hi George, Finally issue 15 arrived and I have completed the rear assembly but yet to mount it to the hull. I have been doing some planking as you suggested and making some progress. With the arrival of 15 I should be back on track very shortly and hopefully I can catch up with the rest of the crew. In fact I intend to use some of this weekend to make up the difference. Now for issue 17.BigGrin
George1
#149 Posted : 23 August 2014 02:42:54

bb1949 wrote:
BigGrin Hi George, Finally issue 15 arrived and I have completed the rear assembly but yet to mount it to the hull. I have been doing some planking as you suggested and making some progress. With the arrival of 15 I should be back on track very shortly and hopefully I can catch up with the rest of the crew. In fact I intend to use some of this weekend to make up the difference. Now for issue 17.BigGrin

Hi Brex. BigGrin

What's happening mate. Confused

It's now been ages since you've posted and I'm starting to worry something serious has happened to you or family. I certainly hope that's not the case.Confused

Your last post said you were trying to catch up re missing issues. I hope you haven't been put off by such. I can well understand the frustration of missing issues. Whizgig is having real problems with what I consider is a ridiculous situation and very, very poor marketing by people who want you to purchase direct from them. Apparently he will have to wait up to two months to get missing in-between issues. If they can't supply immediately from stock they shouldn't be selling by that method. Cursing

Anyway mate I do hope to hear from you you and if you don't want to post for some reason then please PM me. Huh

Regards

George

Building HMS SOTS
bb1949
#150 Posted : 27 August 2014 07:55:08

Hi George,

Great news! Issue 17 arrived! I am now up to date with current issues. BigGrin Much of the building had to wait until 17 turned up as it impacted on the planking which is now in progress Huh . I have reached the stage where I will need to reread issues 18 plus so I don't over do it and find I need to remove planks etcCrying . I had some fun in the meantime by starting the Black Pearl from the Pirates of the Caribbean and built a plastic 1/350 scale model of the Tirpitz.LOL and into the Spitfire too!Laugh

I will be quite again from 6th - 23 Sept as I am in the UK catching up with my fathers crew member from WWII. BigGrin But I will post some photo's either tonight or tomorrow to show my progress (as rough as it is).

Thank you for your concern I do appreciate it. I'll check your page out too but right now I need to complete a very difficult accreditation matter that has occupied me for nearly 3 months.

Brex.
Gandale
#151 Posted : 27 August 2014 21:14:46

Hi Brex, great to hear your missing issue has turned up enabling you to get back onto your build.... Can now look forward to seeing your progress....

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#152 Posted : 27 August 2014 21:42:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Bred

Hope you have a safe and rewarding trip to the UK (wonder if it will remain united Confused for much longer).

Happy modelling

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
George1
#153 Posted : 28 August 2014 01:38:42

bb1949 wrote:
Hi George,

Great news! Issue 17 arrived! I am now up to date with current issues. BigGrin Much of the building had to wait until 17 turned up as it impacted on the planking which is now in progress Huh . I have reached the stage where I will need to reread issues 18 plus so I don't over do it and find I need to remove planks etcCrying . I had some fun in the meantime by starting the Black Pearl from the Pirates of the Caribbean and built a plastic 1/350 scale model of the Tirpitz.LOL and into the Spitfire too!Laugh

I will be quite again from 6th - 23 Sept as I am in the UK catching up with my fathers crew member from WWII. BigGrin But I will post some photo's either tonight or tomorrow to show my progress (as rough as it is).

Thank you for your concern I do appreciate it. I'll check your page out too but right now I need to complete a very difficult accreditation matter that has occupied me for nearly 3 months.

Brex.

Hi Brex. BigGrin

Pleased to see your post. That all is well. BigGrin

Will check for your pics when you post again. Cool

Have fun in the UK and will watch for your return. BigGrin

Regarding "The Black Pearl" and "Spitfire" are you going to have Build Diaries on them? If so I will definitely follow your progress. BigGrin I'm particularly interested in the Spitfire. BigGrin

All the best to you and your's.

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
John Passmore
#154 Posted : 30 August 2014 16:01:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Brex

Just catching up on postings.

Re the pin vice - I've been using the same drill bit (#71) in a pin vice since the very first plank, drilling every pin hole with it up to issue 25 now, and last night dropped it onto the tile floor...Glare
Amazingly the drill bit only bent slightly but didn't snap so I can still use it (a bit wobbly) but it works. (I'm a real tight wad y'know)Laugh Laugh

Another trick I've learned is if you're real careful you can use pins 2 or 3 times - just pull 'em out straight with pliers.BigGrin BigGrin

Bon voyage to UK mate...BigGrin BigGrin

Regards
JohnP
bb1949
#155 Posted : 04 September 2014 09:39:54

Hi George & John,

All starting to get back on track although the lead up to going away deserves a holiday. Lots of home renovations occurring at the same time, so between project managing, packing and working I have squeezed some planking in and have posted some progress (photo's).

bb1949 attached the following image(s):
20140904_173058.jpg
bb1949
#156 Posted : 04 September 2014 09:49:27

Missed the next two so here they are.
bb1949 attached the following image(s):
20140904_173139.jpg
20140904_173116.jpg
birdaj2
#157 Posted : 04 September 2014 10:50:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Brex

Coming along really well.

Sometimes feels you will never finish the hull planking but your getting there. Well done

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
George1
#158 Posted : 04 September 2014 14:40:24

Hi Brex. BigGrin

Looking good mate. Cool Cool

At least you've got some of the planking on the way now. BigGrin

From what you said I can understand you trying to find time at the moment with all you've got going on. BigGrin

I do have some idea of other pressures as my Wife who badly broke her ankle on week's holiday in Victoria (Did it at MT Buller re a hole covered with snow.)and so far has had 5 operations caused through "Golden-Staf" contaminating the plate they screwed to her ankle some 5 weeks ago. Damn thing cause the stitches to go pusy and the wound wide open right to the plate and from there all sorts of nasties have occurred since. Today, Thursday they performed a 6 hour operation with a new flap of skin and flesh after removing the plate. Big arguments between Plastic Surgeons and Orthopedic Surgeons on the removal but with my Wife and I plus the Plastic Surgeons demanding it be removed or the same thing would just happen again.The bone is healing so just a little more time re walking. So far the operation looks successful and with Antibiotics now being able to work without the plate hiding the germ underneath it we're keeping fingers crossed all goes well. Mellow BigGrin

Will look in again next time you post. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
Whizgig
#159 Posted : 04 September 2014 14:46:42

Looking good Brex good work mate, Wow George that doesn't sound good I am glad you stuck to your guns and now she is doing better some doctors just do not wont to be told they are wrong.
Eugene.
Gandale
#160 Posted : 04 September 2014 23:09:51

Moving along nicely Brex, won't be too long before your lower hull is done..... Cool Cool .. Keep the good work going....

Regards

Alan