Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

DBP's Detailer Diary Options
j999dbp
#1 Posted : 23 March 2014 16:24:18

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi All,

Quick intro - I've been building since I was 4, badly then a bit better (!) and have written in the past for Tamiya mag and www.modelersite.com. Since the MP4/23 I seem to have become "sheepdipped" in the world of partworks, so it's time I started a build diary. And what better to do it with than the MP4/4.

"Resistance is futile". (B. Org)

Now - I should point out that this is in no way meant to detract from Spencer's Official Build Diary. Hopefully it will complement it. This is meant to show what you can do to detail the basic model - which really is immense as supplied from the box - or bags?! - so I will be building it in perhaps a more logical order than the one in which the parts are supplied. Also, I'm not on a timescale, so posts and pics may be sporadic - please excuse me for that. my main aim is to pass on a few tips and tricks that I've picked up - or even invented - over the years - in the hope that it may inspire a few to experiment with superdetailing.

To kick off, I posted a few pics of the gearbox a couple of weeks ago - this was painted over the bare plastic with a metallic mix. I've now got rid of most of the pesky screw heads and painted/added in a few nuts here and there - particularly over the damper top mounting, which should have a huge hex nut and an inner fixing nut - but NOT a chrome cross head screw!! - and all the suspension fixings. I havent done the top inner wishbones yet, as there is a cross-brace between the front fixing and the engine which is not supplied, and I have to work out how to make these yet.

The next step is to start adding wires and tubes, plus the many sensory widgets on the engine, that aren't supplied with the kit due to commercial economics - they had to stop somewhere. These are not too hard to make from bits and pieces, but need figuring out.

More in a couple of weeks.

DBPBigGrin

File Attachment(s):
IMG_8529.JPG (1,940kb) downloaded 226 time(s).
IMG_8532.JPG (1,975kb) downloaded 188 time(s).
IMG_8533.JPG (1,899kb) downloaded 163 time(s).
j999dbp attached the following image(s):
IMG_8524.JPG
stevie_o
#2 Posted : 23 March 2014 16:32:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Warthog
#3 Posted : 29 March 2014 15:54:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Some nice work DBP Cool any more progress?

Spencer
Josefk
#4 Posted : 29 March 2014 18:03:32

Hmm, you say in first post that wires and tubes are not included in the kit, I googled this chap's build diary of the kit as released in Japan.

http://lindberghbook.blog17.fc2.com/page-6.html

As you can see the parts supplied in Japan incude hoses, rubber tube, wiring and the like. Does that mean the kit we get in the UK is different to that released in Japan and doesn't contain the electrics etc
Warthog
#5 Posted : 29 March 2014 18:48:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You do indeed get wiring and piping included in the kit and it is exactly the same as the Japanese version BigGrin but DBP says he will be adding his own touch to his build.

Spencer
j999dbp
#6 Posted : 01 April 2014 09:49:53

Hi Josefk,

Just to clarify - yes, indeed, the kit is supplied with the obvious basic wiring and pipng - ignition and injection harness, oil tubes, brake lines etc. - and this will look just fine out of the box. However, take a look at any of the detail pics of this engine, and you'll see a whole layer of sensory equipment, interconnecting wiring, extra bracing, nuts, bolts etc. which would be totally impractical to include in a commercial kit due to cost reasons, but which can be added if one wishes, to transform the already brilliant model into a formidable replica. For me, that's the fun - especially if you have to work out how to do it yourself!

Spencer, I'm waiting for some bits to arrive before I can make much more progress - mainly hiding the screws! - but will be posting something very soon I hope.

DBPBigGrin

Weightaholic
#7 Posted : 04 April 2014 09:37:51

Hi DBP. I'm looking at my reference material, and it looks like the damper top housing has a flat plate over it, not a large hex nut. I'm looking at the Joe Honda Racing Pictorial Book No 03. Can you share your pics?

For some of the smaller parts, Top Studio released a super detailing parts kit for the MP4/4, I'm thinking maybe some of the connectors could be put into duty for some of the sensor connections? They might scale down well.

I'd be interested to see what you come up with for the bracing for the front arm of the suspension that connects to the valve cover/s. It's a little disappointing this wasn't included, as it's part of the suspension structure.
j999dbp
#8 Posted : 05 April 2014 07:58:12

Hi Weightaholic - been off the radar for a while on business.

Here's a small extract of a pic of MP4/4 I took in 2005 at Goodwood - pretty standard fixing for McLaren rear rocker/damper from mid late 80s. You can see the composite nut construction.

I don't have the Joe Honda book, but would be interested in seeing this area. PM me your email and we can swap a couple of pics...

As for the brace arms - a bit of brass rod, and a couple of photoetched link arms, plus a spare mount bracket for the engine, from an old Tamiya Williams I think, may do the job. I'll probably try to "fabricate" it like the original was welded, and add some filler to shape it around the gearbox link.

Fun, eh!

DBP BigGrin

j999dbp attached the following image(s):
IMG_2398 (2).jpg
Weightaholic
#9 Posted : 21 April 2014 11:49:55

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, been out of play myself for a bit.

I realised after I'd posted that I’d had a brain explosion. I do remember thinking "well, that's the gearbox, but anyhoo".

No, what I was talking about is the part I have drawn the arrow to on top of the gearbox. In the kit it has a rather significant cavity in the center, but on the real vehicle, every photo I have has it covered by a blanking plate?, and definitely flat across the top.

Nice pic of the dampers. I'll go out and buy a few photo-etched hexed nuts and some rod, see what I can come up with.
j999dbp
#10 Posted : 21 April 2014 19:39:23

Hi Weighty,

Yep - agreed! and well spotted.

Easy one to fix, fortunately.

The hole on the model contains a fixing screw - which is probably why they've done this - so I'll chop off the nuts and make a little plate to cover it from plastic card.

I've also got hold of some reasonable resin nuts and bolt heads, around 13mm in 1/8th scale, so will spray a few up and experiment with more 3D looking ones than the photoetch I have here. Should be good to cover the screw heads on the rear suspension mounts, although I'm thinking of dispensing with the screws and pinning with brass rod and cyano, then placing a resin nut on top. What do you think?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...rksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...rksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

May get some time to do some building this week...

DBPBigGrin
Weightaholic
#11 Posted : 23 April 2014 12:23:50

dbp, I'd like to see that plan in action (and if it looks good will shamelessly copy you). :D

When I get some free time I'll be looking for some items that could work in our specialty hobby shops.
j999dbp
#12 Posted : 30 May 2015 18:24:09

Been a while, but I picked up the bug again...

Here's a shot of the missing turbo oil feed unions and the fully wired injectors, replacing the kit parts. Next to scratch build the missing stays between engine and top rear wishbone mount, plus loads more wires and carbon fibre treatment.

I guess you guys on pack 14 are catching me up, and I haven't even built my chassis yet... DBP 😀
File Attachment(s):
image.jpg (1,026kb) downloaded 100 time(s).
Warthog
#13 Posted : 30 May 2015 18:34:37

Long time no see dbp and good to see you back on the MP4/4 Cool Look forward to seeing some more updates from you.

Spence
j999dbp
#14 Posted : 06 July 2017 18:25:14

She's done.... well, about 3 months of wiring and stuff under the cowling still to do, but as it's been so hot recently, perfect time to paint the body. Wiring can wait until the winter.

I had great intentions of a full build diary, but life got in the way.. anyway, here she is...

DBP BigGrin
File Attachment(s):
IMG_0580.JPG (2,474kb) downloaded 69 time(s).
IMG_0582.JPG (3,365kb) downloaded 59 time(s).
IMG_0583.JPG (2,345kb) downloaded 56 time(s).
IMG_0586.JPG (1,449kb) downloaded 63 time(s).
j999dbp
#15 Posted : 06 July 2017 18:38:56

Anyone guess what might be next up? Cool
File Attachment(s):
IMG_0588.JPG (1,571kb) downloaded 69 time(s).
ModelMania
#16 Posted : 06 July 2017 21:13:53

Groups:

Nice work on the MP4/4 DBP, like the extra details on the wheel and tyre, also nice to see that you have replicated Ayrton's trademark foam and duck tape padding on the upright part of his seat? A nice touch. Would be cool to see some more photos without the bodywork when you're finished with fitting the wiring?

Judging by your photo of the Cosworth DFV and it's relevant size to the MP4/4 in the background, I'd guess you are working on an Entex 1:8 James Hunt McLaren M23?

Kev Smile
j999dbp
#17 Posted : 06 July 2017 22:29:43

Got it in one, Kev! I've been messing around with this one for about 5 years, as it was a rescue kit... bodywork covered in polyurethane varnish circa 1978, which had gone rather brown! I've managed to remove it with sellotape and patience, and as it was about 30deg C today, perfect for quickly getting the white primer down. So, we're off! If I can get the bodywork finished over the summer, again, I can finish ithe rest over the winter.

As for the MP4/4, I will lift the lid over the weekend to show the work so far. Detail goes on in layers chez DBP, so I've got the first mods such as missing bracing between engine and gearbox done, but there's still loads of extra stuff around the turbos and exhausts, before I get to the huge array of pipes, wires and tubes.

Then there's the built but not painted DeAgostini Millennium Falcon, and the Bandai half scale BB-8, and the half scale R2D2, and....

Aargh...!

DBP Laugh