Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Deck Planking tutorial Options
CAThompson
#1 Posted : 29 March 2014 14:48:55

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Greetings all,

I had an idea for a way to do the deck planking and add the caulking between the boards. I looked for this idea on this and a few other forums but could not find it. That does not mean that it is not there, I just did not find this idea anywhere else.

Deck boards and construction paper caulking

Step one
Stack a bunch of decking strips together. I layed them on masking tape to hold them.

Step two
Cut the decking boards to the desired length.

Step three
Using black construction paper (I am not sure what it is called in the UK), cut a rectangle larger than the bundle of deck boards.

Step four
Stread glue on the construction paper, making sure to get complete coverage.

Step five
Press the deck boards into the glue and fold one end of the construction paper up onto the end of the deck boards.

Step six
After the glue has started to setup trim the excess construction paper off the bundle of deck boards.

Step seven
Cut between the deck boards to seperate each board. This needs to be done before the glue completely dries. If any glue got between the boards they could be very hard to seperate.

Step eight
Glue the boards inplace so they lay with the construction paper edge touching the bare wood edge of the next board. This example shows the boards just layed in place but you can clearly see the black between the boards.

Step nine
After the boards are all glued in place and fully dry sand the surface.

I hope this is something that others will try. I am using it on my Black Pearl and I am sure I will use it on my HMS Victory.

If anyone has done this or knows of others that have please post images or links.

Christopher
Current builds:
HMS Victory
Black Pearl

Builds on hold:
Millennum Falcon
USS Constellation

Future Builds:
Hanse Kogge (14th C)
Mary Rose (16th C)
jase
#2 Posted : 29 March 2014 17:15:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi, Thats a nice little tutorial. this method is on another forum but the explanation is no way near as good.

instead of sanding your planks, you might want to try scraping them, this gives a smoother finish and apparently does not break the fibres like sanding does.

not tried it myself and not sure how the paper would react but i am going to try this method on my next deck.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
stevie_o
#3 Posted : 29 March 2014 18:20:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gandale
#4 Posted : 29 March 2014 22:11:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Christopher, great idea and great tutorial.... thanks for sharing.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
CAThompson
#5 Posted : 09 April 2014 23:40:57

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Greetings,

I tried scrapping and sanding the glued together deck. I found that the scrapping did create a smooth finish on the wood but it seemed to tear at the construction paper. Sanding the surface smoothed out both the wood and the paper.

Christopher
Current builds:
HMS Victory
Black Pearl

Builds on hold:
Millennum Falcon
USS Constellation

Future Builds:
Hanse Kogge (14th C)
Mary Rose (16th C)
jase
#6 Posted : 10 April 2014 00:10:29

Some great results.

Interesting. The answer to the paper issue with scraping is the quality of the Paper. the paper you are using is to good. Watching a tutorial from Dr Mike (Russian world champion ship builder) he says that all black paper is to high quality and that the solution is to dye poor quality white paper black with calligraphy ink. The adhesive bonds the paper better so it cannot rip. Also he applied the paper dampened so that he could squeeze out air bubbles and excess glue.

Ultimately the different methods of caulking suit different scales in my opinion with HB pencil fit for small scale thread for large scale and paper in-between.

Jase

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain