Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Airfix 1/24 Scale P51 K/RF Mustang IVA Options
Warthog
#21 Posted : 15 April 2014 19:37:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Only a small update but once again using plasticard to make up more detailing in the wheel wells and one of the wing gun ports.. Soon be time to start adding some plumbing! BigGrin

Spencer
Warthog attached the following image(s):
20.jpg
21.jpg
Warthog
#22 Posted : 16 April 2014 22:12:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Another update and a little more done to the wheel wells and some interior work done. Small details need to be picked out and a lot of wiring work to the wells..

Spencer
22.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
stevie_o
#23 Posted : 16 April 2014 23:02:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Nice work Spence, I think I can imagine what this is going look like once completeCool

Does the Airfix kit come with the Tuskegee red tails decals or are you having to get these as an extra?
Steve
arpurchase
#24 Posted : 16 April 2014 23:31:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice job on the weathering SpenceCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Warthog
#25 Posted : 17 April 2014 10:55:46

stevie_o wrote:
Nice work Spence, I think I can imagine what this is going look like once completeCool

Does the Airfix kit come with the Tuskegee red tails decals or are you having to get these as an extra?
Steve

Hi Steve, this one does not so I'll have to either make the markings myself or get some from a reputable shop which funny enough is just around the corner from RAF Hendon where I will be going tomorrow. BigGrin

Spencer
Warthog
#26 Posted : 17 April 2014 10:57:09

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Nice job on the weathering SpenceCool

Hi Andy and thank you BigGrin a lot more to do on the inside yet which seems a shame as it will be semi-closed up when complete but needs to be doneCool

Spencer
Warthog
#27 Posted : 06 May 2014 21:14:34

Just a small update as I think i will have to competely rework everything that Airfix calls an engine support! after test fitting etc it's obvious that the kit supplied part will not be sufficient enough to hold the it in place so a bit more scratch building needed.. Anyway, pic below shows a bit more work done under the hood but everything is loose fitting for more work..

Spencer
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
arpurchase
#28 Posted : 07 May 2014 07:43:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Spencer
Sounds like there's a lot to do yet, but looking impressive
Regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Warthog
#29 Posted : 07 May 2014 08:50:50

Hi Andy and thanks for looking in.BigGrin yep there's loads to put right LOL nice kit though!

Spencer
stevie_o
#30 Posted : 07 May 2014 09:34:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Warthog
#31 Posted : 07 May 2014 21:03:16

stevie_o wrote:
Love it SpenceBigGrin It's certainly going to be a unique build when finished,the further you get,the more you will want to change
Steve

It's also knowing when to stop Steve!LOL beauty of having a kit that has none of the detail that you get with modern day tooling but saying that some of the detail for such an early kit is actually very good... Just seems they stopped with the body lol

Spencer
Warthog
#32 Posted : 23 June 2014 22:17:26

Hi Chaps BigGrin another update and some more progress to report albiet not a lot but enough to see some progress. When I started this kit I was looking forward to what I can only say would be an easy straight forward build.... but there is no easy when it comes to the older Airfix kits and this one has proven to be no different. As you will see from the pictures there are a lot of gaps and before I can even think about starting to add more detail and fight with the parts when going together I decided that I would assemble the main parts and tackle the details later.. and i'm glad I did as you can see by the gaps that will need to be filled with styrene sheet and sanded down. Once this is done I will then turn my attention to the engine bay and start to cut things about until I'm happy with the results.. untill then enjoy BigGrin

Regards

Spencer
11.jpg
22.jpg
33.jpg
44.jpg
55.jpg
66.jpg
jase
#33 Posted : 23 June 2014 23:46:09

You say old Airfix kits, the new ones are only a bit better when it comes to fit. nice job so far I feel another masterpiece coming along
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Warthog
#34 Posted : 23 June 2014 23:51:40

Thanks for looking in Jase BigGrin This must be the first Airfix kit I have purchased and started building since my father brought me a 1/72 Spit as my first kit! (yes 40+ years ago)He had the 1/24th Spit when that came out and i think he threw it in the bin as it was that bad lol.. this one is certainly a challenge though but fun BigGrin
Just hope the new Typhoon is.. well.. a lot better.

Spencer
petpole
#35 Posted : 24 June 2014 00:21:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Your doing a cracking job of that Airfix kit and it looks a lot closer fit than my 1/24 ME 109 LOL .
Keep upthe good work, your going to have a great model.
Drool Drool Drool

Peter

Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
Tomick
#36 Posted : 24 June 2014 08:41:22

Groups:

I hope the new Typhoon doesn't have similar gap problems Blink

Keep up the good work Cool
stevie_o
#37 Posted : 24 June 2014 10:03:23

The fit on this kit is horrible, one of the worst I've seen and I have done a few 70's and 80's Airfix kits. I'm sure you'll do a great job with this though, you may need to order some more fillerBigGrin

Steve
Warthog
#38 Posted : 24 June 2014 18:53:15

Tomick wrote:
I hope the new Typhoon doesn't have similar gap problems Blink

Keep up the good work Cool

I hope not too, so much anticipation for this release Drool

Spencer
Warthog
#39 Posted : 24 June 2014 18:59:51

stevie_o wrote:
The fit on this kit is horrible, one of the worst I've seen and I have done a few 70's and 80's Airfix kits. I'm sure you'll do a great job with this though, you may need to order some more fillerBigGrin

Steve

Thanks for the encouragement SteveBigGrin yes it is a bit of a dog but as I've said before about troublesome kits, it's something that makes the build more enjoyable having to find ways of a fix.. May not be the best fix mind!LOL

Regards

Spencer
Warthog
#40 Posted : 24 June 2014 19:01:41

petpole wrote:
Your doing a cracking job of that Airfix kit and it looks a lot closer fit than my 1/24 ME 109 LOL .
Keep upthe good work, your going to have a great model.
Drool Drool Drool

Peter

Hi Peter and thanks for the positive comments BigGrin I was going to get the ME109 to go with the Mustang and Spitfire I have but after seeing both kits I thought I'd give it a miss but maybe one day once the airfield has been cleared LOL

Regards

Spencer