Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

The sorrow of joy Options
GluedFingers
#1 Posted : 02 April 2014 20:00:06

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

G'd evenin'all.

What little difference there is between joy and sorrow and how easy it is to slip from one to the other. But that, as they say, is life.

Take this afternoon, for instance.

Having found out that I mislaid my card reader I was unable to upload any pictures that I took of the progress of a build. BUT, fearnaught, the internet was nearby and a replacement was quickly ordered with a delivery estimate of two days. That was yesterday, so imagine my surprise when I came home and found a box on the doorstep with inside the ordered item. Oh joy, oh glorious joy.

But wait, my joy was not completed yet because underneath the box with the reader I found another box. One from De Agostini! Could this be? Could this be the first installment of the HMS Surprise? The one box I had been pining for for more than a week and a half?

With trembling hands I ripped open the plastic and withdrew the delivery note. And, oh greatest joy of joys it was indeed so! My first installment!!

But then reality dawned on me. The box inside the plastic was small. Surely that small box could not contain both keel parts, the strenghteners and the mast foot? Unless the pictures I saw on this forum had deluded me regarding the size of the model. Was is that small? Surely not because that would mean that the fellow builders on this forum would have fingers 1 mm thick.

I guess that would be a possibility but not very likely. Mind you, that would be one huge help when making models, though.

But as I withdrew the box from the wrapping my worst fears were shown true because as if to mock my eager willingness the box clearly stated: HMS Surprise Part 27.

Oh, what sorrow! Oh, how cruel fate has played his trick on me. O tempora, o mores!!!

Alas, my dear brothers and sisters, my quest has been sorrowfully delayed. Oh, what pity.

Of course I informed the fair fairies of CS of this cruel fate and I already received a kind email response from them and hopefullt they can lead me into the joyous light again.

Until then, I guess, I should swallow this bitter pill and continue with the current project at hand.

At least it gives me an opportunity to test out the camera and card reader.

Until a later date, my good friends, in the hope that good tidings may be upon me soon.

Adrie.

'Where to glue or where not to glue, that is the question'

Building: Hr. Ms. de Ruyter (card), Retourschip Batavia (Revell), HMS Surprise (De Agostini)
Built (and sunk): Too many to list
GluedFingers
#2 Posted : 08 April 2014 19:38:21

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

G'd evenin'all.

What little difference there is between sorrow and joy and how easy it is to slip from one to the other. But that, as they say, is life.

Of course, being down in the dumps has some perks. One is that there is ALWAYS somebody who says: "Don't cry, dear. I'm gonna make you a nice cuppa of tea."

Unfortunately I positively LOATHE the stuff!! Mad

But luckily there is also the realisation that there will come a time when things will finally go your way. It just takes some time, that's all.

And this afternoon it was MY time!

The fair fairies came back to me with an apology and the assurance that the correct issue was on its way to me!

Oh joy, oh glorious joy.

So now I am happily waiting, having calculated that there is still a decent chance that the first installment might make its way to me before the second installment. And that's good. The universe will make sense again.... BigGrin

And not only that, I have just found out from Mr. T that I have received a medal! I have no idea what for, but who cares!! LOL LOL

Adrie.

Building: Hr. Ms. de Ruyter (card), Retourschip Batavia (Revell), HMS Surprise (De Agostini)
stevie_o
#3 Posted : 08 April 2014 19:47:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

GluedFingers
#4 Posted : 08 April 2014 21:22:04

Thanks for the info, Steve, the link and your kind words.

I can't help but wonder, though, if there should be something like a clasp to be added when you actually finish it? I have seen plenty of forums and whilst there are plenty of starters, the finishers seem to be a lot less.

Of course, there are plenty of reasons why things don't go the way you expect them to go, but still .....

Oh, don't mind me, just chipping away to get closer to the (luv'ly) orange Active Service Medal. Flapper

Wink

Adrie