Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Experten's McLaren Options
experten
#21 Posted : 08 October 2014 05:36:29

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Official Builds

I have the scent now!

Parts set 11 starts with pack 71, which is the other side of the induction cowl. I was fortunate in that I did not have to wait long for my replacement parts to arrive, so I was able to press on. I strayed from the instructions a small bit in that I applied the adhesive from the inside, while the 2 induction cowl parts were held tightly together. I also scraped the paint off of the adjoining surfaces. The Tenax evaporates far too quickly to apply small dots as recommended.

Pack 72 has several parts for mounting into the nose of the car. This is a pity. They are beautifully detailed, and will be forever hidden once the nose is put into place. Regardless, I know they are there! In this step, you also finally get to use those clear "C" clips. They are used to affix the front suspension assemblies to the monocoque. be VERY careful here. These little puppies are highly subject to tweezer launch! I spent some quality time on my hands and knees trying to find one. (the cats helped too)

Pack 73 has the sidepod cowls, and some screws. The push rod mount gets glued into place in this step and the front push rod gets screwed to it. Be careful not to let the screwdriver slip here!

Pack 74 has the complimentary sidepod cowls. In thsi step, you get to assemble the cockpit tub to the underbody, as well as the engine/ rear suspension assembly. It really starts to look like something now! Take care, and make repeated dry runs to mount the engine to the cockpit tub. You want to make sure it all fits well, when it should! (when glue is involved!!) The battery is also installed into the cockpit in this step. This is a bit fiddly, and a good set of self clamping tweezers is recommended here. The side cowls from pack 67 are finally glued into place. Take time here to recollect how they fit before you apply glue.The lower sidepod cowls are also assembled here. They are then bonded to the Now Car (ish) looking model. This was a huge amount of work as compared to previous steps. It is a LOT of fun though, as it is really starting to look like something.

Pack 75 has bargeboards, deflectors, skirts and fins. There is paint scraping to be done on the bargeboards. The deflectors are then glued to the bargeboards. As a note, I do NOT use tape! I have had far too many instances of capillary action wicking adhesive under the tape, and along the face of the part. Use your own sense of discretion here! In this step, the seat also gets placed into the cockpit. Conduct a few dry runs, as the seat is bonded to the underbody here. The loops holding the harness to the tub are a bit fiddly to place. I started them in the holes, and then applied a spot of glue with a toothpich, and pushed them in from there.

Pack 76 has the parts for the induction box. These have some fantastic logos and script on them. They are glued together. Again, I applied adhesive from the inside of the parts, and kept my fingers well away from the seam. The two include vortex generators also get glued on here. The last part is the forward wing. Take your time here, and make sure everything is right, and square.
The engine cowls are also applied in this step. This is a bit nerve wracking as the parts are pre-painted, and a misstep with the adhesive could spell disaster.

Pack 77 has right and left engine cowls, as well as the transmission cover. The work performed is that of mating the monocoque to the rest of the body, and installing the steering linkages to the mechanism.

Man, it is looking cool!!
experten attached the following image(s):
IMG_0970.JPG
IMG_0971.JPG
IMG_0981.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG
IMG_0984.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_0990.JPG
IMG_0991.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG
IMG_1004.JPG
IMG_1006.JPG
IMG_1007.JPG
IMG_1014.JPG
IMG_1015.JPG
IMG_1017.JPG
IMG_1023.JPG
IMG_1025.JPG
IMG_1026.JPG
IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1032.JPG
Tired, Old, and Cranky!
experten
#22 Posted : 25 October 2014 03:39:45

Hi all,

Ok!!! ALL sorts of goodies in the bumer issue that is pack #12.

Parts set #78

It starts with the parts for the cockpit side protector, and head pad, and also has several wings for the right and left sides. The directions have you install the brake master cylinders to the front of the body. You then add more of those absolutely beautiful carbon decals, to the front suspension. the next step is the assembly of the rear cowls, and the mini wings for either side of the cowl. Take your time here, as they want to settle a bit as the glue dries, and will easily go all catiwumpus. The last sequence in set 78 is the side protector. This is pretty easy stuff. I used CA glue instead of the recommended ABS cement here.

Parts set #79

The parts you get here are the right and left fairing fences, as well as border wings. These go together very easily, and the fit is flawless. The next step is the installation of more carbon decals to the front wing. Again, these look great! You then fit the bargeboards. This required a few dry runs on my part. The stays in particular are somewhat difficult to position. What I ended up doing was to fix them to the body, and then while the cement was still a bit soft, I dryfit the bargeboard into position, and let the stay cure. I then went back and glued the bargeboards on. ***Exercise extreme care with the adhesive when gluing on the bargeboards. The seam is highly visible, and a run would look horrible!!*** This step concludes with a brief tutorial on giving the radiators a dark wash, to pop the detail. I did this, and they look great!

Parts set #80

The pieces here are fins, monocoque covers, and a replacement induction box, for an improved fit. You, in addition to fitting the new box, also install the induction pod cowl. It really starts to look cool along in here!

Parts set #81

The bits here are the other cockpit wings, covers, and mirror. I ran into a bit of a hitch here, as the wing was a duplicate of the left one, and as such, wasn't "handed" correctly. I put in a call to CS, got the part on the way, and moved on. Plenty of other stuff to do! The work is the installation of the pushrod cowls. They have you use double sided tape, but instead, I went toth a minuscule dot of CA glue. Double sided tape dries out pretty rapidly here in the desert, and I didn't want parts going on walkabout later. You also apply carbon decals to the wings. This step is wrapped up with the installation of the cockpit display panel, camera, and pitot tube, as well as the canards and cockpit wings. Easy stuff, but again, watch that glue!!

Parts set #82

The parts with this issue are the mirror lenses, reflectors, optional windscreen, tail light assembly, and a long phillips screwdriver. The work to be done is simply assembling and installing the mirrors, and the taillight. quick and fast!

Parts set #83

The parts enclosed here are the camera, foil, the kill switch, and an antenna. You start by cutting the foil, and installing it inside the body. this is REALLY awkward, and do a couple of dry runs before you take the backing off. It is a bit difficult to het the position dead on, and I had to trim a bit off after the fact. It still came out looking very good. After the foil is placed, you get to install the radiators, and pipe. The reason for that hole and socket waaaaay inside the engine become apparent here. Take your time, and get everything situated before you stick it all down. Again, I recommend dry fitting a few times to get the motion down. The side camera is a simple bit of work.

Parts pack #84

The parts enclosed are the skid blocks. I gave brief thought to making these out of some scrap basswood I have, but decided I'd rather finish this model! You also get exhaust connectors that would tie the manifold and exhaust pipes together on the real car. The work is simple, and the biggest worry is messing up the car as you install the skid plates. I had the wheels on mine, and simply stood the car on edge, and placed them with the model in this position.

Parts pack #85

decals, decals, and decals! There are some fantastic looking decals with this set. The work, (besides decals) is the installation of the front wing, and border wings. (I deviated a bit here, and attached the border wings to the removable cowl, as opposed to the body. My thought behind this decision was that the body would be getting looked at a lot, and I wasn't comfortable with the idea of the border wings floating out there, where they could easily be knocked off by inquisitive fingers.)
I left off the front wheel shrouds, as the calipers provide an intriguing flash of silver inside the the wheels that begs a closer look.

IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1034.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1039.JPG
IMG_1041.JPG
IMG_1047.JPG
IMG_1048.JPG
IMG_1052.JPG
IMG_1055.JPG
IMG_1057.JPG
IMG_1059.JPG
IMG_1063.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG
IMG_1091.JPG
IMG_1092.JPG
IMG_1094.JPG
IMG_1099.JPG
IMG_1107.JPG
Tired, Old, and Cranky!
experten
#23 Posted : 25 October 2014 03:54:05

FINISHED!!!!
IMG_1109.JPG
IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1117.JPG
IMG_1116.JPG
IMG_1112.JPG
IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1134[1].JPG
Tired, Old, and Cranky!
Ponty
#24 Posted : 25 October 2014 04:20:36

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

That's one sweet build!ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp Woot Woot Woot
Building - DeAgostini HMS Victory, McLaren MP4-23, Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Lamborghini Countach
RM1
#25 Posted : 26 October 2014 16:02:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very Nice build.Congrat's BigGrin
Malc
Tomick
#26 Posted : 26 October 2014 17:28:41

Groups:

Well done! Cool
birdaj2
#27 Posted : 26 October 2014 17:40:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Mark

Very well done it looks a stunning model.

What has really surprised me is just how big this model is. I sometimes find it difficult to judge size just from the pictures that get posted. It's only with a picture such as yours hold the model that you get a true appreciation of the models size.

Very nicely put together.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
experten
#28 Posted : 27 October 2014 05:53:40

Thanks guys! It was an absolute blast to build. I can't really say that I gained a huge appreciation for F1 building it, but I did have enough fun to go get the MP4/4 complete from a seller in Japan. The MP4/4 reminds me of when I DID watch F! as a kid. I really do prefer the cleaner, more simple lined of the early cars...

Now, bring on the Countach, and the Mustang!!
Tired, Old, and Cranky!
Warthog
#29 Posted : 28 October 2014 20:38:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

You've done a fantastic job there Mark and something to be proud of BigGrin Very nice build indeed Drool

Spencer
experten
#30 Posted : 23 February 2015 16:44:51

Here are a few pics of he base for the MP4/24 I built. It is destined for display elsewhere. I was going after a general "look" for the water filled temporary barricades. I still need to sand it, clean up the glue, and get a good varnish on it. Then, I'll build a crate, and off it goes!
base2.jpg
base3.jpg
base4.jpg
base5.jpg
base6.jpg
Tired, Old, and Cranky!
darbyvet
#31 Posted : 23 February 2015 19:42:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Mark that look amazing.Great job.