Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages 123>»
Stevie's Santisima Trinidad Build Options
stevie_o
#1 Posted : 20 April 2014 21:34:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi everyoneBigGrin
Well I'm approaching the end of the road on HMS Victory now, the woodworking is over and it's rigging all the way from now on so thought it was time to begin another wooden build.

It was a very close run thing between choosing this kit or the SOTS but in the end the Trinny won due mainly to the number of SOTS build diaries already on here compared to just the one build of the Trinny. So, I decided to join Andy and follow the in the footsteps of his superb build diary.

Andy is far enough in front now for me to get a nice idea of how things will look at future stages and I'm sure I will be pestering him a fair bit from here onBigGrin

So, Month 1, issues 1-5 are here -

Just a couple of pics here of issue one, no need to dig out the old Victory build jig yet until I add the second piece of the false keel, and this won't be added until the joint reinforcement are dry.

I only have the Victory to compare this with really so will be making comparisons / references to that build a fair bit but, the first thing noticeable was that the frames are cut much more roughly than the Vic's were and did need a fair bit of sanding to get all the splinters off and get a nice smooth finish.

Next it was just glueing in frames 1-4 and ensuring they were square, the deck is not glued in, just there to check things are level.

Not done much tonight but will push on tomorrow...now out to the garage to find my jigBigGrin

Cheers
Steve

stevie_o attached the following image(s):
DSC07083.JPG
DSC07084.JPG
DSC07085.JPG
DSC07086.JPG
DSC07087.JPG
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 20 April 2014 21:51:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Steve
Excelent choice on your new build and it will be nice to see another build diary started. The false keel and all the rib formers are of light -ply but its the fitting of the ply decks that is important here as they are what square everything up, but im sure you know that already. The false keel also has two stubs that will get in the way when using a dry dock these are not really needed and are removed later I just cut them off from the start.
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

stevie_o
#3 Posted : 20 April 2014 21:55:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Steve
Excelent choice on your new build and it will be nice to see another build diary started. The false keel and all the rib formers are of light -ply but its the fitting of the ply decks that is important here as they are what square everything up, but im sure you know that already. The false keel also has two stubs that will get in the way when using a dry dock these are not really needed and are removed later I just cut them off from the start.
regards
AndyCool

Fantastic, my first piece of good advice, hoping for lots more - I will chop off those lugs tomorrowBigGrin
Cheers
Steve
jase
#4 Posted : 20 April 2014 22:11:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice to see another build of this, don't know why so few have started this it must be all that SOtS bling

looking forward to it

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#5 Posted : 20 April 2014 23:13:03

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Yes, brilliant news Stevie, have this one being stored away for a later date..... Really looking forward to seeing another build of the Trinny get under way and am sure you will do a fabulous job.... Cool Cool .. Will be following your progress all the way so will simply say, best of luck with you new project.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#6 Posted : 22 April 2014 14:14:06

Groups:

Good to see another Trinny underway Cool
stevie_o
#7 Posted : 22 April 2014 20:13:30

Thanks everyoneBigGrin

Did a little bit more, in fact this is it now for a month or soMellow

The lower deck is now nailed in place and supports are added for the upper deck. I am supposed to have the forward sections of the 2 upper decks in place by now but I have decided I want to wait till I have all the frames and false deck first before I carry on, this will allow me have better continuity in the deck planking rather than doing it in staggered stages.

The other pics are my new light to go under my Vic shelf, it is a 65 led mains light and is very, very bright - I love itBigGrin It's really going to save my eyes for a few more years anywayLaugh

Back when I have some more bits...
Steve
DSC07088.JPG
DSC07089.JPG
DSC07090.JPG
DSC07091.JPG
DSC07093.JPG
DSC07095.JPG
DSC07096.JPG
DSC07098.JPG
karl1113
#8 Posted : 22 April 2014 20:39:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

nice one steve,looking foreward to this one.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
ian smith
#9 Posted : 23 April 2014 17:05:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Steve.
Great start look forward to seeing more IanBigGrin Cool
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 07 May 2014 21:06:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Steve, BigGrin

Yep I missed the start of this one. Blushing

Blame it on:

1: Kitchen adverts Cursing Cursing Cursing

2: Too much time at work Crying Crying Crying

Now I know it`s underway will pop in when time permits.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

stevie_o
#11 Posted : 24 May 2014 20:47:42

Thankyou Karl, Ian & DelBigGrin
Well, good news - Pack 2 arrived yesterdayLaugh Bad news, it only took a couple of hours to do a months workCrying
So, not much to report really, this is the state of play after 2 packs. I should have started the deck planking as well by now but I am leaving it until I get pack 3. The reason for this is that I want to plank the deck as one piece not add to it in bits each month, I have bought myself 40 metres of 4mm Tanganyka wood, hoping its going to be enough!BigGrin

Steve
DSC07219.JPG
DSC07220.JPG
DSC07226.JPG
DSC07227.JPG
DSC07228.JPG
arpurchase
#12 Posted : 24 May 2014 21:10:08

BigGrin looking good SteveCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jase
#13 Posted : 24 May 2014 21:52:27

Good straight keel and ribs looks the dogs... looking forward to next months updateCool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
der Gohfelder
#14 Posted : 24 May 2014 22:33:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Steve!
Nice start, let´s wait and see what happens next BigGrin
I hope we will get the Santisima in Germany too!

Regards, Bernd
Gandale
#15 Posted : 25 May 2014 00:57:07

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Stevie, looking good.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
stevie_o
#16 Posted : 25 May 2014 16:17:19

stevie_o
#17 Posted : 24 June 2014 15:03:18

Had some more bits delivered for this so on we goBigGrin

fitted the last 2 sections of the lower false deck and was then able to get the whole deck planked in one go. This is the first ship I have built where the deck is planked before the hull and it is much easier this way as you dont have to lay the deck against the inside bulwarks. This way the deck can overhang the false deck for easy sanding off later.

I replaced all the kit deck planks with 4mm wide Tanganyika at 1mm thickness. 3mm would have been more in scale but I went for a happy mediumBigGrin

The first pics are the deck before sanding, then after sanding then with the danish oil, not weathering this deck, may do a 25% mix of "weather it" on the top deck.
The pic with the oil being applied is basically to show that even without any added caulking effect the oil changes the colour of the gaps so much that there is a subtle effect of dark gaps or caulking between the planks. Not sure if Im going to do the nails on deck either.

Need to let this deck dry now then matt varnish it and then I can add the deck supports for the next level.

More soon,

Steve
DSC07427.JPG
DSC07429.JPG
DSC07431.JPG
DSC07434.JPG
DSC07435.JPG
DSC07437.JPG
DSC07438.JPG
DSC07441.JPG
davetwin
#18 Posted : 24 June 2014 18:02:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work, I really like how the danish oil looks, I am thinking of using it on mine. Is there anything special I need to look for when buying it.

At the moment I have my 1st pack but am going to stock up a few before starting
Martyn Ingram
#19 Posted : 24 June 2014 19:06:30

BigGrin Lovely work on the deck planks Stevie BigGrin rgd martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
stevie_o
#20 Posted : 24 June 2014 21:12:49