Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<23456>»
Stevie's Santisima Trinidad Build Options
stevie_o
#61 Posted : 24 September 2014 21:14:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

A belated thanks guysBigGrin

I have actually done a bit more to this one, 8 rows of planks per side next to the keel, get some pics up soon.

@David, yep, you have a tough decision to make as they are both fantastic builds - you could build them alongside each other then you'd never be waiting for parts each monthLaugh

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Steve
captain bligh
#62 Posted : 24 September 2014 21:25:47

Cheers Stevie!BigGrin just finished my Ship jig today with the 90deg steel angles and a reclaimed MDF sheet from a Cabinet.. saved a few bob too!..and looking forward to my Final decision which I think is still gonna be the SOTS??...I watched master & commander last night.. good stuff!

happy modelling!

David.
Promise too much ...and many will be in search of you!
captain bligh
#63 Posted : 24 September 2014 21:37:23

Great job on the Planks Wink
stevie_o
#64 Posted : 29 September 2014 19:39:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just a one pic update here, not much to see but the planks are progressing from the keel upward now.
I have decided to ignore all the instructions to fit stairs and doors and any other deck furniture until I have done both layers of planks completely, which is more the route taken with the Victory build and get all the messy stuff out the way before the details beginBigGrin

Steve
stevie_o attached the following image(s):
DSC08563.JPG
arpurchase
#65 Posted : 29 September 2014 20:03:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good on the plankingCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#66 Posted : 29 September 2014 22:21:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Planking looks great Stevie, not much to do now before the hull is finally closed up..... Cool Cool .. Keep the posts coming....

Regards

Alan
captain bligh
#67 Posted : 04 October 2014 23:56:39

Hi StevieThumpUp

Great looking work! I had my 1st pack of santisima delivered today...and it's going in the cupboard till all the packs are here... this ship looks great and you have done a great job of the planking!!

keep up the good workBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

David.
samson
#68 Posted : 06 October 2014 23:41:03

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Stevie

the model looks good Cool Cool Cool
and I share your view on the order of the workflow. it makes sense.BigGrin

cheers Jens
Martyn Ingram
#69 Posted : 07 October 2014 09:52:49

BigGrin Stunning work as always Stevie Cool Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
jack.aubrey
#70 Posted : 07 October 2014 14:15:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Stevie, a personal suggestion about planking, coming from experience:

installing all the short planks ending on the same bulkhead as you are making (according with the DeA instructions?) is risky !!

The "c u m b e r" in that joint is interrupted and the result may appear more as an angle than a curve. You should end a plank alternatively on two different bulkheads . .

Regards, Jack.Aubrey
stevie_o
#71 Posted : 07 October 2014 15:51:18

Thanks for all the nice comments guys - appreciate itBigGrin

@Jack - There is no curvature at frame 5 at all and only a fraction at frame 8, the curve seems completely smooth over the joints and it's going to be veneered also, plus copper tiles in my case.
The pdf instructions states this method and any new builder taking up this kit will be doing the same.
Build diaries of this partwork are few and far between so I'd like to think a beginner can look at these diaries for re-assurance and see it done the same way. Thanks for looking in though.

Steve
George1
#72 Posted : 12 October 2014 02:27:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Steve. BigGrin

Popped in to see what you were building currently and it all looks great as I expected. Cool Cool

Your e4xperience is certainly showing. Cool Cool

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
stevie_o
#73 Posted : 19 October 2014 23:56:19

Thanks for looking in George, and your commentsBigGrin

Small update, planking is continuing nicely, I actually like this stage.
Both sides are done up to the level in the pics so I hope to have the 1st layer all done, filled and sanded in a couple of daysBigGrin More soon!

Steve

DSC08667.JPG
DSC08668.JPG
davetwin
#74 Posted : 20 October 2014 00:12:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good Steve, Im guessing that all the gaps are filled with left over planks cut to size. What issue is this up to now?
stevie_o
#75 Posted : 20 October 2014 00:39:48

Hi Dave, thanks for looking inBigGrin Yes, this is the way the instructions have you build this one, do all the full planks then fit the wedges at the end - I normally fill gaps as I go but I thought Id go by the book and do it this way.
I think this is up to pack 10 but I have skipped a lot in order to get the planking done first, I should have also done ladders, doors, ships boat, loads of cannons, anchors and started the x-section but I will go back to all this after both planking layers are done.
Cheers
Steve
arpurchase
#76 Posted : 20 October 2014 21:15:40

BigGrin Nicely done SteveCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#77 Posted : 20 October 2014 23:25:05

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking great Stevie, soon have that first layer of planks complete although fitting all those wedge pieces could be a little time consuming....Huh Huh .. Look forward to seeing your next instalment ....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
stevie_o
#78 Posted : 25 October 2014 13:31:56

Thanks for looking in Andy, AlanBigGrin

Posts are slowing down a little at this stage as it's been a case of more of the same for a while now but the 1st layer is doneLaugh

On to the bow and stern fillers next before the second layer starts - I thought Id put a pic in below of how the bow fillers look before sanding.
More soon !

Steve

DSC08676.JPG
DSC08678.JPG
DSC08677.JPG
arpurchase
#79 Posted : 25 October 2014 20:29:50

BigGrin Nice work SteveCool

Gandale
#80 Posted : 26 October 2014 09:56:44

Looking great Stevie, nice to see her fully covered up... Cool Cool . Think she has a beautiful shape to her.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan