Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<34567>»
Stevie's Santisima Trinidad Build Options
stevie_o
#81 Posted : 11 November 2014 19:40:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Thanks Andy / AlanBigGrin

Still plodding on so not an exciting update, I have nearly finished the second layer of planking. I was planning on saving the darker strips of veneer as they are sort of wasted when I intend to paint and fit copper tiles. I used them in the end though as I probably wouldn't have had enough of the lighter strips left, I'm glad I did though as they are way better quality than the light strips.
Should have the planking finished in a couple of nights, I have actually done a lot more than in the pics with about a third of one side to go nowBigGrin
Steve
stevie_o attached the following image(s):
DSC08681.JPG
DSC08685.JPG
DSC08687.JPG
DSC08688.JPG
DSC08689.JPG
Tomick
#82 Posted : 11 November 2014 19:50:34

Groups:

Four rows of gun ports must have made this ship very scary in real life and one of the very few four deckers ever. She was the heaviest-armed ship in the world when rebuilt, bore the most guns of any ship of the line and was reputed to be the largest warship in the world Blink

Nice work on the build Cool
stevie_o
#83 Posted : 11 November 2014 21:34:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Tomick wrote:
Four rows of gun ports must have made this ship very scary in real life and one of the very few four deckers ever. She was the heaviest-armed ship in the world when rebuilt, bore the most guns of any ship of the line and was reputed to be the largest warship in the world Blink

Nice work on the build Cool

Thanks Tom, going to look even scarier in red and black stripesBigGrin

Steve
birdaj2
#84 Posted : 11 November 2014 21:35:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Steve

Coming along very well.

Neat work with your planking.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#85 Posted : 11 November 2014 21:40:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Steve, BigGrin

An excellent display of planking, love the raw colours of the wood.

As for the four rows of gun ports:

Only frightening when they`ve got guns in them.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Seriously good build though and waiting for the next update.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#86 Posted : 11 November 2014 21:44:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good SteveCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Nemesis
#87 Posted : 11 November 2014 21:46:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very tidy build!! BigGrin BigGrin
Gandale
#88 Posted : 11 November 2014 22:11:41

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very much enjoying this one Stevie, wonderful clean work....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#89 Posted : 11 November 2014 23:15:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great work Steve

I agree she will look even scarier in red and black, I had decided that I was going to do mine in red and black after I found some photos online at modelshipmaster.

Not sure if these are of any use to you, I expect you probably already have them

jack.aubrey
#90 Posted : 12 November 2014 11:21:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi, if it may interest you this is an extract from the book "The ships of Trafalgar", by Peter Goodwin, regarding the colour scheme of the Santisima Trinidad at Trafalgar:

Quote:
"Lying in Cadiz harbour ready to sail with Villeneuve's combined fleet, Santìsima Trinidad clearly stood out from her consorts. Besides having four gun decks, her sides were painted, according to Lieutenant William Lovel serving on British Neptune (98) at Trafalgar, 'with four distinct lines of red, with a white ribbon between them. After hoisting the flag of . . . . "

In addition there is also a oil paint from Geoff Hunt depicting Santìsima Trinidad with this colour scheme . .

Regards, Jack.Aubrey.

jack.aubrey attached the following image(s):
Page01pic002.jpg
stevie_o
#91 Posted : 12 November 2014 12:01:38

Thanks for the kind words and all the input guysBigGrin I do have a good few pics as research but it's that first one, Dave, that I will be using from the http://www.todoababor.es..._barcos/perfiles-st.htm site with the Trafalgar colours and figurehead of the Lion. I will also be having my gunport lids closed and painted black and not red as in that pic. There will be enough guns on the upper deck to give a good effect anyway.
The good thing about this ship when compared to the Victory build is that the Wales and stripes actually follow the gunports exactly.
I will be making my wales a little thinner too, only 2 rows of the walnut as I want to allow for a 1mm strip of the white trim too.

Steve
stevie_o
#92 Posted : 16 November 2014 14:24:59

Well that's it, planking all doneBigGrin
I have also added the stem, keel and stern post and just need to tidy these up now. These parts are meant to be installed after the wales, but, as per the Victory build Id rather butt the wales up against the stem instead of cutting the wales out to fit the stem...if that makes senseBigGrin
By the way, if I was leaving this a natural finish I would be replacing the stem, keel and stern post parts with walnut as they are currently plywood - no probs if your going to paint thoughBigGrin

The gunports look a bit ragged in these pic as I have fitted a frame into every hole to check the fit and had to re-sand a few of them. Im having the ports closed so no need to tidy up any further.

More soon, dont know if I should rewind now and fit all the parts I have skipped to get the planking over with.

Steve
WP_20141116_001.jpg
WP_20141116_002.jpg
WP_20141116_003.jpg
Gandale
#93 Posted : 16 November 2014 15:10:39

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Ragged gun ports or not Stevie she's still looking fab...Drool Drool . I like you would be tempted to get the planking out of the way first then go back to start work on all the fixtures and fittings.....Cool Cool Cool .. Look forward to seeing more of your work.... As for the colour scheme, the red and black I find is really striking and is the colour scheme I am going to go with on my build....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#94 Posted : 16 November 2014 17:17:13

BigGrin Looking great, raggedy gunports who cares that's what metal gun ports are for hides all sorts of problems LOL Blink Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

karl1113
#95 Posted : 17 November 2014 00:29:02

really looking sweet steve,well done matey.Cool BigGrin
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
cruorangelussilicis
#96 Posted : 17 November 2014 12:14:03

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Fantastic looking build there
stevie_o
#97 Posted : 24 November 2014 12:44:41

Thanks for all the comments guys, appreciate itBigGrin
I went back to begin adding some deck detail that I skipped, this includes for now the stairs and grating surround for the cannon balls. I also thought Id get the wales out the way as well as Id like to get the main colours painted soon if I can and can then begin the huge task of copper plating the hullCrying

For those building this one you may notice that wales 2 and 3 (counting from the top) should be 3 rows wide like the bottom wale, I wanted the black stripes to be narrower as per most of the reference pics I have been seeing. I also needed the extra space as I intend to add a couple of 1mm white strips to separate the red and black.

DSC08744.JPG
DSC08745.JPG
DSC08748.JPG
DSC08750.JPG
DSC08754.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#98 Posted : 24 November 2014 20:39:34

BigGrin Stunning work Stevie she is one BIG ship ThumpUp Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
arpurchase
#99 Posted : 24 November 2014 21:40:33

BigGrin Looking good Steve

Gandale
#100 Posted : 24 November 2014 22:51:57

Lovely work as usual Stevie....Cool Cool

Ragards

Alan