Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<678910>»
Stevie's Santisima Trinidad Build Options
davetwin
#141 Posted : 29 January 2015 14:32:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

How did I miss this update

That copper tiling is looking spectacular, a job well done
antswain
#142 Posted : 01 February 2015 01:43:01

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

hi Steve

that coppering looks really good, never done it beforeConfused but defo going to try it on my next build and the colours are striking. excellent buildBigGrin

regards Ant
Current builds :

AL's HMS Surprise
Model Shipyards HM Cutter Mermaid
tf64
#143 Posted : 01 February 2015 10:01:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Steve,
Just looking at your build Steve and I must say that your coppering look's very realistic, what a job to do but well worth the time and effort, but what a result you will accomplish, waiting for the next post Steve no pressure eh!
Regards
Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

stevie_o
#144 Posted : 08 February 2015 15:33:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for the commentsBigGrin

A small update, although a lot more work has been done. As you can see in the last update I saved all the cut tiles till the end. This took a week to complete, a lot more work than I allowed for.
On side 2 I will be doing the cut tiles as I go, row by row so I dont have this horrible job left till the end againAngry

Anyway, side 1 is completeBigGrin It's had an all over polish to even out the aging on the tiles and already it's stated to tarnish. I will be leaving to age plus will be adding a very weak patina solution when the entire hull is complete.

The walnut strip at the keel is there instead of the lower copper row, I found these were getting bent and knocked off a lot when placing the ship down. I will prob replace the strip with tiles later in the build or when I get a stand for it.

On with side 2 thenCrying

Steve
stevie_o attached the following image(s):
DSC09203.JPG
DSC09206.JPG
DSC09207.JPG
delboy271155
#145 Posted : 08 February 2015 18:02:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Steve, BigGrin

That copper plating is 100%. Cool

Plus the rest of the build is on a par.Drool

Did you buy the plates ready cut or make them from strip copper?

Lastly is there a way, once you`ve let the normal air do it`s work, that you can seal it to stop any further reaction?

Reason for asking is that I`ve got a lot of this to do in the future.

Victory and Cutty Sark, but to mention two.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

stevie_o
#146 Posted : 08 February 2015 18:26:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Del, Thanks for looking.
If you want the copper to look aged and want to let it happen naturally rather than with any solutions then the best way is to give it an all over very bright polish first (all traces of CA or glue must be removed first or these areas will stay bright).
Dont use any oils or chemicals though, just micromesh as you dont want any protection from corrosion.
When the tiles have the look you are after you can then clear coat them with lacquer.
It's surprising how fast the patina starts, within days in factBigGrin.

The tiles are the HMS Victory tile pack which I believe are now sold out.

Steve
arpurchase
#147 Posted : 08 February 2015 21:13:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin looking good SteveCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#148 Posted : 08 February 2015 23:09:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Excellent job on the tiling Stevie, looking fab....Cool Cool ..

Regards

Alan
ian smith
#149 Posted : 09 February 2015 17:14:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Steve.
fantastic job on the tiling. Look forward to seeing more. IanCool Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
samson
#150 Posted : 10 February 2015 17:18:34

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Steve
Well don . looking buteful Love
Cheers

Jens
der Gohfelder
#151 Posted : 10 February 2015 17:24:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Steve!
A very nice work, well done !!!

Regards, Bernd
ian smith
#152 Posted : 18 March 2015 14:08:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Steve.
Are you going to keep shiny tiles or let them dull.
looks realy superp with the black and red hull paint.
are the gun carriges red steve.
look forward to seeing more of this one IanCool BigGrin
Martyn Ingram
#153 Posted : 18 March 2015 20:56:41

BigGrin Stunning job on the tiles Stevie lovely work Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
stevie_o
#154 Posted : 18 March 2015 22:44:53

Thanks guysBigGrin I will be updating this one as soon as all the tiles are done.

@Ian - Yes, will be leaving the tiles to dull on their own, no varnish or polishing - and yes, the gun carriages will be red as wellBigGrin

Steve
ian smith
#155 Posted : 19 March 2015 00:55:25

Hi Steve.
I think the red gun cartridges will go really well with the deck colour. Ian.BigGrin
stevie_o
#156 Posted : 10 April 2015 13:21:46

Laugh Celebration Time!Flapper ...well for me anyway. The copper is complete, just the rudder to do later.

The wood on the keel bottom is a "U" shaped walnut cover press fitted over the tiles to stop them coming off as I don't yet have a stand to protect them.

I will give both sides a final polish up to get the shine even and then a wipe over with patina solution and let them age naturally.

I'll be having a brandy tonightLaugh Really glad it's done, took 3 months but not been at it every night. Back to the instructions now to pick up where I left off with this build.

Steve

stevie_o attached the following image(s):
DSC09548.JPG
DSC09550.JPG
DSC09549.JPG
DSC09551.JPG
jase
#157 Posted : 10 April 2015 13:30:32

Looks awesome Cool Cool Cool

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
davetwin
#158 Posted : 10 April 2015 17:08:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That does look pretty awesome, your patience has certainly paid off ThumpUp
Gibbo
#159 Posted : 11 April 2015 00:02:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice going Steve
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Martyn Ingram
#160 Posted : 11 April 2015 08:49:16

BigGrin Stunning work m8 looking forward to seeing more BigGrin

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe