Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages <12345>»
Adam's SotS Build Options
Gandale
#41 Posted : 25 June 2014 07:33:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Adam, I am just about to go out to work so this reply is brief but may help you decide your options. I had a problem with the height of the main deck leaving the gun ports too low so had to lower the complete deck.. The link will show you how I achieved this.. If you are looking to lower rib 7 then you may find this useful....

http://forum.model-space...sts&t=5013&p=80

Good luck, will be watching.

Regards

Alan
AdamHall
#42 Posted : 04 July 2014 17:18:22

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

G'day all,

I thought it was about time to post an update on the build progress and after hitting a hurdle with my problematic fwd desk section. But firstly, very many thanks to Marcel and Alan for providing sound advice to consider. I spend a few days mulling over my options to determine the best way for me to move forward and get cracking on with the build. In the end I decided on a slight variation to Alan's input. Thus, I set about raising the deck support at rib #5 & #6 and lowering it at rib #7 & #13.

So, I removed the deck support beams and corresponding balsa support blocks that I had for ribs #7 & #13. Access to the balsa blocks were a touch difficult to remove with a hobby knife so I shaved them down to deck level with a 1/2" chisel. It was heart-in-mouth for a while as I thought I would slip and end up snapping a rib with my hands (or stab myself with the chisel and end up spilling some blood to the cause). Anyhow, the first photo shows the end result. Next I added a length of decking strip that I had left over from a previous build to the deck support beam at rib #5 and placed additional balsa blocks at ribs #7 & #13. As it turned out, the additional balsa were at the required height to take on the function of the deck support beams. So there was no requirement to install the beams for ribs #7 & #13. Although at rib #13 I did insert some small lengths of left over support beams between the balsa block and the rib. This was more to support the join of the fwd and mid deck sections. The second photo is the completed modification and the third photo shows the fwd deck section now sitting flush with the mid deck.

Mid deck sections were then glued, installed and weighed / clamped whilst the glue set. This is where the benefit of the deck support balsa blocks really came into play. Although I do not thing that I will have that luxury when installing the upper deck sections. There were no deformations in the deck after the weights and clamps were removed, the section joints were square and flush but most of all I was more than happy with the end result.

The dummy gun supports and deck are also painted. For me this was actually an enjoyable aspect to the build and it seemed to mark a definite milestone. I also forgot how much untreated timber soaks up paint and I ended up putting on two coats the same evening (may even need a third).

This also provided a good mental note for the painting of the launch. I have a bottle of all purpose craft sealer that I will use on the launch as an undercoat. This is particularly noting that the launch hull planking is pretty thin with white & burgundy paint on either side. Just want to be sure that there is no possibility for the two paint colours to beep between the hull planks and bleed together.

So, that's the main progress to date. Now it's onwards and upwards with the assembly of the stern pieces.

Ciao,

Adam
AdamHall attached the following image(s):
P6270013 (600x450).jpg
P6280015 (600x450).jpg
P6280018 (600x450).jpg
P6300021 (600x450).jpg
P7040023 (450x600).jpg
P7040025 (600x450).jpg
P7040031 (600x450).jpg
P7040030 (600x450).jpg
Gandale
#43 Posted : 05 July 2014 10:23:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nicely done Adam, great to see you managed to resolve your deck height problem... Looking good and now you will soon be starting to plank the old girl.... Keep posting, will be following...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
AdamHall
#44 Posted : 13 July 2014 14:09:02

Hi folks,

The build continues at a steady pace. Main effort has been with the assembly of the stern assembly as well as chipping away on the launch.

The assembly of the stern was fairly straight forward. I had to install a small spacer wedge at the bottom of piece #45 where it joins to #30. Also found that there was no need for a similar spacer at the top of piece #45 as depicted in the build diary.

The stern assembly is a very loose fit when placed into the keel slot. This aspect I identified in one of my previous posts http://forum.model-space...mp;m=117119#post117119. Now it's time for inserting into place and there is still a fair degree of movement and will need some serious clamping arrangements to secure it into place.

I also noticed that the top of frame #27 does not align with the deck extension #47, it actually is positioned below the deck piece (As shown in photo 3). This seems a bit odd at the instructions within Issue 16 (Step 12) has a layer of glue being applied to the whole rear edge. I have temporarily placed (dry fit) an offcut from a leftover die (As shown in photo 4).

So, can anyone reading this let me know whether it is expected that frame #27 sits below the deck extension. I have tried to look at other build logs cannot find a clear picture of this particular area.

Regards,

Adam
File Attachment(s):
P7130014 (600x800).jpg (320kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
P7130015 (800x600).jpg (278kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
P7130016(600x800).jpg
P7130017(600x800).jpg
AdamHall
#45 Posted : 13 July 2014 14:51:34

Hello again,

Apologies for the different picture formats in my previous post. An error on my behalf associated with the resize of the pictures.

The launch is now ready for painting. I have cut out the oar slots in different locations to that depicted in the instructions. The required location just did not seem right, particularly with their positioning with respect to the oar frames. I have included a photo that shows a mock-up of the cross pieces (bench seats?) that I aim aiming for in the finished build. I don't think that this will create too much of a problem when it comes to the final assembly.

The placement of the small strips on the hull either side of the keel was a tedious evolution. I was not too sure whether the required 1mm strip was to be positioned flat onto the hull or in their edge. I went for the latter and this gives a look of two stabilising fins. I am also experimenting with different colour finishes for the launch that I am also the ship itself. I have a range of acrylic paints available in tubes from a local art supplies store. There is Antique White (in-lieu of Ivory) with Burgundy, Raw Sienna (centre) and Burnt Sienna (far right). It is great to see the launch coming to life.

Regards,

Adam

P7040033 (600x450).jpg
P7040035 (600x450).jpg
P7040037 (600x450).jpg
P7130012 (600x450).jpg
P7040044 (600x450).jpg
Gandale
#46 Posted : 13 July 2014 15:09:33

Lovely work Adam, coming along very nicely and excellent work on the launch too...Cool Cool As for the gallery, my build diary from page 16 covers the fitting of the gallery quite extensively and I too found the top of frame 27 sat slightly below the deck extension 47. Important thing is to ensure the gallery is fully seated in the keel slot and it sits level. Check also the gallery assembly and the deck extension form a right angle. If you also look at Mr T's official build diary, issue 16, pics 11 & 12 you will also see the top of frame 27 sitting slightly below the deck extension.

Hope this helps however should you have any further queries then please get back to me.

Regards

Alan
AdamHall
#47 Posted : 15 July 2014 15:20:25

Thanks Alan. Just wanted to check before I proceeded with the putting glue to timber. ThumpUp

Further progress over the past few days associated with the installation of the stern assembly. It is finally glued in and secured into place. I had to raid the kids old toy box for Duplo blocks in order to make up a support brace for clamping the assembly. (I don't have a small enough square in my tool kit to fit onto the deck extension). Placed spirit levels in the middle deck and stern top to check that all was level. All is good so far, I hope.Unsure

Now it is on to fairing the rib frames. Looks like a job for a fine day out in the patio. Hopefully this weekend.

Regards,

Adam
P7140009 (450x600).jpg
P7140011 (600x450).jpg
P7150025 (450x600).jpg
P7150015 (600x450).jpg
P7150016 (450x600).jpg
P7150017 (600x450).jpg
Gibbo
#48 Posted : 15 July 2014 16:53:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Lego, what great idea.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
davetwin
#49 Posted : 15 July 2014 17:01:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great progress, love the use of lego blocks to keep ot all square BigGrin
Gandale
#50 Posted : 15 July 2014 23:08:41

Hi Adam, some really nice work there.... From what I can see think you have got the fit of the stern gallery spot on... Nice idea to use the duplo blocks, have seen others use the same on their builds... Cool Cool .. Now down to fairing in preparation to planking.. do take your time with this task, check often to see how the strakes will flow from one rib to the next, the smoother the flow of the strakes the better finish to the overall shape you will get...... Will be following your progress so keep posting those pics.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Whizgig
#51 Posted : 16 July 2014 18:43:13

You are doing an amazing job mate well done I love the use of the Lego. BigGrin
bb1949
#52 Posted : 17 July 2014 09:14:31

HI, I am very happy that I saw your post. I am still wanting for issues 15 & 17 (being on back order) but that has given me the time to check your work (very impressive. Now I know how I will complete the assembly as we have plenty of Duplo left over from the 'kids'. Drool
jock
#53 Posted : 19 July 2014 06:37:31

Best part of Lego it doesn't stick to PVA glue
Previous builds
Bounty, Cutty Sark, Red Baron Triplane, Bismark,Titanic,Endeavour
http://jockspage.webs.com/
mathewp
#54 Posted : 26 July 2014 23:08:42

Hi Adam. The Launch looks spot on. You're doing a great job.
completed builds; Brig Perseverance, H.M.S. Bounty and San Marcos(almost)
George1
#55 Posted : 27 July 2014 03:43:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Adam. BigGrin

Everything looking really good mate. Cool Cool

You've done a great job on the ship as well as the launch. Looking very professional.Love Cool

Keep up the great work. Cool Cool

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
AdamHall
#56 Posted : 17 August 2014 16:16:15

G'day folks,

It has been a few weeks since posting an update on my build, but progress is being made as seen in the attached photos.

I decided to go with the balsa inserts, but only at the bow and stern sections. This was my first experience using balsa as inserts and as a result there are some lessons learned:

- Balsa is not cheap
- Have a few different thicknesses available on hand (I used 1.5mm, 6.5mm and 8mm).
- A scroll saw is definitely a handy tool used to cut out curves and thus economise on the balsa strips.
- Apply generous coatings of glue (in may case PVA) with a paintbrush to all surfaces.
- Be aware that balsa swells slightly when applying glue. What was a snug dry fit will turn into a tight fit once glue has been applied.

Fairing with balsa for me was another learning experience:

- Old steak knives are great for trimming (and carving) balsa to a basic shape.
- A b@st@rd file is ideal for obtaining a smooth final shape. (I was quite surprised at this discovery considering that balsa is a relatively soft wood. For this reason I had initially used a second cut file only to find that it only removed minute amounts of material and was not effective at all as a shaping tool).
- Using the file as a scraper (direction of movement along the width) is more effective at removing material and obtaining a shape rather than drawing the file along its full length.
- When using the file to shape the ribs, place a layer or two of making tape on adjacent ribs where you do not want material removed. Scraping the masking tape with the file is better than taking an unexpected gouge out from a rib section.
- The laminates in the plywood are easily removed when you are not careful and when you least expect it (so have a bottle of PVA on hand to repair any damage straight away.
- Do not use sandpaper on a sponge block when attempting to obtain a smooth shape on the balsa insert.(I found that this removed too much balsa and made a slight depression in between the ribs).
- Fairing the last rib section (#49) was a delicate evolution, being wary not to damage the stern assembly ribs. A few bumps and scrapes were unavoidable.

It has taken a longer amount of time than expected, but in the end, I am fairly happy with the net result.

I can now say, HULL FAIRING IS NOW COMPLETE - Whoot, whoot.

Onwards and upwards with the planking.

Adam
P8030030 (450x600).jpg
P8030032 (600x450).jpg
P8090048 (450x600).jpg
P8090051 (600x450).jpg
P8170009 (450x600).jpg
P8170012 (600x450).jpg
P8170014 (600x450).jpg
P8170015 (600x450).jpg
birdaj2
#57 Posted : 17 August 2014 16:49:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Adam

A very neat finish to your balsa Infills.

You will have a good base here onto which to start your planking.

Happy modelling

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Ponty
#58 Posted : 17 August 2014 17:37:47

Hi Adam,
Fantastic job on your Balsa fill ins. You really show the skill needed to do this. I'm impressed with the level of expertise you have in your build.ThumpUp
Building - DeAgostini HMS Victory, McLaren MP4-23, Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Lamborghini Countach
Gandale
#59 Posted : 17 August 2014 23:30:35

Nicely done Adam, fairing looks spot on....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
John Passmore
#60 Posted : 20 August 2014 05:29:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Adam

Lovely bit of infilling there, looks absolutely immaculate - as does your ships' boat. Well done mate...BigGrin BigGrin

Regards
JohnP