Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

21 Pages 123>»
John Passmore Options
John Passmore
#1 Posted : 26 April 2014 01:05:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi everyone
This (SotS) is my first build ever and I'm up to issue 7 without any problems so far. I get all my tools and things from a very good modelling shop in Perth 1-1/2 hrs drive away.
I have been reading Tomics' excellent build diary and have an initial question; There is a Stand advertised for GBP 19.95. Will this be available in Australia at some stage? There is no indication this early so I have inserted 2 captive nuts in the false keel as described in issue 6, but will need to decide on the stand when the time comes for planking (in order to provide bolt access holes - or not).
Tomick
#2 Posted : 26 April 2014 09:11:34

Groups:

Hi John,

Welcome to ModelsSpace Cool

Yes, the stand will also be offered in Australia at some point.

arpurchase
#3 Posted : 26 April 2014 09:24:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi John
Welcome to the Forum
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

AdamHall
#4 Posted : 26 April 2014 10:09:32

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

G'day John.

Welcome to the forum. I noticed that you are from Mandurah. I'm just up the road in Safety Bay.

I'm also undecided about the final mounting arrangement. Still tossing up between a cradle or threaded rod. I understand that the ship will be about 5kg in weight when completed. Thus, I am not sure whether the threaded rod will have enough strength whenever it has to be moved. Also don't want the ship rolling over in the cradle.

Maybe a combination of the two types will be the way to go?

Enjoy, hope to see some pics of your progress.

Adam.

karl1113
#5 Posted : 26 April 2014 11:58:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

welcome a board, and hope to see some pics of your build,good sailing m8.Cool
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
George1
#6 Posted : 27 April 2014 03:34:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi John

Welcome to the forum.BigGrin

I did welcome you on Build Discussions re a post, but better here on Australian Forum. BigGrin

Look forward to your build. Cool

Regards

George1
Building HMS SOTS
John Passmore
#7 Posted : 27 April 2014 05:30:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

G'day all

Tks for the welcome - what a nice friendly site this is!
I have a couple of pics of my build to date and will include in Build Discussion when I can figure out how to attach in this Forum.

Regards
JohnP BigGrin
File Attachment(s):
P1010174.JPG (1,548kb) downloaded 188 time(s).
P1010176.JPG (1,541kb) downloaded 140 time(s).
John Passmore
#8 Posted : 28 April 2014 06:33:46

AdamHall wrote:
G'day John.

Welcome to the forum. I noticed that you are from Mandurah. I'm just up the road in Safety Bay.

I'm also undecided about the final mounting arrangement. Still tossing up between a cradle or threaded rod. I understand that the ship will be about 5kg in weight when completed. Thus, I am not sure whether the threaded rod will have enough strength whenever it has to be moved. Also don't want the ship rolling over in the cradle.

Maybe a combination of the two types will be the way to go?

Enjoy, hope to see some pics of your progress.

Adam.

Hi Neighbour

I've decided to allow for both options. I'll leave holes for the threaded rods, but if I decide on the the cradle option I can always plug 'em up. I'm thinking solid brass, flared fittings would look good.

I've got pics of my build to date but I'm still grappling with how to attach in this forum.

John Passmore attached the following image(s):
P1010174.JPG
John Passmore
#9 Posted : 28 April 2014 07:29:45

G'day fellow shipbuilders,

I finally have success in attaching some pics of my (SotS)build to date.
I have inserted captive nuts in the false keel which will be a mounting option.

I only had one minor problem thus far, the brace plates between rib frames 7 and 13 were oversize and encroached the mounting slots. Carefully filed back, so rib frames are nice and square.

All rib frames except 20, 21 and 22 are glued in as it seems that adjustments are needed to brace plates at the stern joint. These braces have been glued.

Now I'm aware of this forum, I will post progress from time to time.
Thanks for your welcoming messages.

John Passmore attached the following image(s):
P1010174.JPG
P1010175.JPG
P1010176.JPG
George1
#10 Posted : 28 April 2014 10:09:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi John

Your build looking very good. Cool

Pleased to see you now have pic problems overcome.BigGrin

Regards

George1

Building HMS SOTS
karl1113
#11 Posted : 28 April 2014 10:19:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

very nice start john,keep up the good work.Cool
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
AdamHall
#12 Posted : 28 April 2014 16:46:07

Good work so far John.

Glad to see that you have managed to get the posting of pictures sorted.

Regards,

Adam
Gandale
#13 Posted : 29 April 2014 09:20:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi John, looks as if you are off to a great start there, the jig or dry dock looks spot on and will certainly help to ensure everything is lined up correctly..... Cool Cool . Will be following you build with a great deal of interest.....

Regards

Alan
bb1949
#14 Posted : 29 April 2014 13:15:45

Hi John. Yes this is looking very good and will watch your progress with keen interest.
stevie_o
#15 Posted : 29 April 2014 13:48:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Marcel
#16 Posted : 29 April 2014 14:18:19

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

It looks beautiful and neat. I suggest you go for the Balsa in fills at the bow to support the tapers of the strakes.
"Rather try and fail than had failed to try".

Sovereign of the Seas

Model Space forum: Marcel's build
John Passmore
#17 Posted : 30 April 2014 01:18:44

Marcel wrote:
It looks beautiful and neat. I suggest you go for the Balsa in fills at the bow to support the tapers of the strakes.

Hi Marcel

I see you're in Cape Town - beautiful city - I first went there in 1962 working on Union Castle ships out of Southampton.

Thanks for the tip re Balsa inserts at the bow, I had been ruminating on that topic after reading several other builds. I noticed Mr Tomic dosn't
use them in the official build.

Thanks for the welcome and from all you other chaps.

Regards
JohnP
John Passmore
#18 Posted : 30 April 2014 14:53:45

Tomick wrote:
Hi John,

Welcome to ModelsSpace Cool

Yes, the stand will also be offered in Australia at some point.

Hello Mr T

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - I've been reading other peoples' builds most of the week and have gleaned lots of useful information.
Wish I'd have read the info (re this forum} in Issue 1 more closely instead of charging straight into the build, there are lots of things I would have done differently. However, luckily my build to date seems to check out ok - nice and straight and square. Can't wait to get to grips with the nitty gritty now.

Couple of quick questions:
When plankings are issued, are there surplus materials in each pack to cater for the errors of absolute novices like me?

I've been studying Mikes'(MWG) build with keen interest - that bloke is absolutely brilliant. His text and photos explaining his methods are so concise and easy to follow, but he stopped contributing October last. Is he not doing SotS anymore?

Thanks for the advice on the display stand and for your message of welcome.

Regards
JohnP

Martyn Ingram
#19 Posted : 30 April 2014 19:23:04

BigGrin Hi John to answer your question on the planks you get lots of them . I have 2 bags left over . Hopes this helps rgd Martyn BigGrin
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
John Passmore
#20 Posted : 02 May 2014 01:26:42

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Hi John to answer your question on the planks you get lots of them . I have 2 bags left over . Hopes this helps rgd Martyn BigGrin

Hi Martyn

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Regards
JohnP BigGrin