Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

21 Pages <12345>»
John Passmore Options
John Passmore
#41 Posted : 25 May 2014 11:38:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Tomick wrote:
No worries John, the system hadn't picked you up, is now resolved and congrat's on your first medal Cool .

Tks Mr T. Makes me feel like one of "us" now.BigGrin

Regards
JP
Tomick
#42 Posted : 25 May 2014 11:44:16

Groups:

Good to have you along BigGrin
jonny7england
#43 Posted : 25 May 2014 12:24:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi John...Looking really good mate...Keep the pictures coming!! Smile ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
bb1949
#44 Posted : 25 May 2014 13:53:26

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

John, Please allow me to join the others in remarking on how well your job looks.

Brex.
John Passmore
#45 Posted : 25 May 2014 15:15:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks guys for looking in and the kind words of encouragement.

I won't be doing a build diary as such as I don't feel capable of doing anything better than some of the great builds in this Forum. I shall be following Mr T's official build diary, deviating only with the inclusion of balsa infills' per MWG's excellent tutorial. (except bowsprit and stern gallery).BigGrin

However, I shall be posting 'progress reports' together with pictures and would welcome any comments or constructive criticism.

Kind regards
JohnP
George1
#46 Posted : 26 May 2014 03:55:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

John Passmore wrote:
Thanks guys for looking in and the kind words of encouragement.

I won't be doing a build diary as such as I don't feel capable of doing anything better than some of the great builds in this Forum. I shall be following Mr T's official build diary, deviating only with the inclusion of balsa infills' per MWG's excellent tutorial. (except bowsprit and stern gallery).BigGrin

However, I shall be posting 'progress reports' together with pictures and would welcome any comments or constructive criticism.

Kind regards
JohnP

Hi John. BigGrin

Regarding not doing better than others there is nothing wrong with your build to date. Your build is as good as any on this forum in fact better than mine regarding a better cleaner build. BigGrin We all can only put together the kits as they arrive and do our best with them. Some will shine in places and others elsewhere as build progresses. When you look at some of the more experienced builders their builds really shine and we all will be doing exceptionally well to emulate some of them. BigGrin

Keep up the great work mate. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
John Passmore
#47 Posted : 26 May 2014 06:06:13

G'day George

Thanks for the words of encouragement - I just find the high degree of care for this miniscule work quite daunting at times. Gimme base load boilers any day where tolerances are often +/- 5mm!LOL

I've done a small mod to my careening dock as there was a little too much movement putting strain on the 2 dowels. It's nice and steady now with no strain on the keel. Here's a pic...Cool

Regards
JohnP
John Passmore attached the following image(s):
mod to careenage.JPG
George1
#48 Posted : 26 May 2014 06:58:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi John.

Yes I thought that might be the case with just the two dowels whether on a base board or like you did into bench. BigGrin

I think Andy's suggested clamp build page 10, post 188 my thread re the URL from an inventive idea from Victory builder he gave to look at for upside down stability is the most sturdy of the different types. I will make the effort to build such as we progress towards planking and of course final painting. BB1949 has made up something in the same vein re his thread and you can see much more stability. BigGrin

Re the fiddly bits I agree with you they are difficult and we need to take on board any advice we can get on making those parts easier if possible. I've already had good advice on making up the tiny pulleys with wire and as soon as brass nails arrive I will use the advice I received from Karl on how to make them up. I had found them extremely fiddly so put aside for now.BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
mathewp
#49 Posted : 06 June 2014 05:29:56

You've picked a great hobby. I hope you have a lot of fun with her. Your work space looks nice and tidy. Look forward to the rest of your build.
completed builds; Brig Perseverance, H.M.S. Bounty and San Marcos(almost)
John Passmore
#50 Posted : 07 June 2014 05:31:56

Progress report June 2014

G'day fellow shipbuilders

Have completed hull infills as far as possible to date;
First 2 pics are of Careening dock prototype #3, which does away with the 2 dowels which were a bit floppy, and delicately utilises a brick paver.LOL This worked really well and kept the work very safe and firmly in place.
The remaining pics are the completed infills sanded, shaped, shipshape - sorted.BigGrin
Some grooves can be seen where the glue lines are but will cause no problems as they will be covered by planking.
Must say, the infills took 20-25 hours over a couple of weeks - a little longer than MWG's tutorial of 6 hours - but I put that down to my inexperienceBigGrin Cool

Regards to all
JohnP
John Passmore attached the following image(s):
Careening dock Prot #3.a.JPG
Careening dock Prot #3.b.JPG
Hull infills complete.1.JPG
Hull infills complete.2.JPG
Hull infills complete.3.JPG
Hull infills complete.4.JPG
George1
#51 Posted : 07 June 2014 06:35:26

Hi John. BigGrin

Infills looking good mate.Cool Cool

It will definitely help with planking later now you can more easily see the profile shaped. BigGrin

Regards

George

Building HMS SOTS
arpurchase
#52 Posted : 07 June 2014 08:50:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good JohnCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Tomick
#53 Posted : 07 June 2014 09:11:38

Groups:

Well done John Cool
John Passmore
#54 Posted : 07 June 2014 09:47:26

George1 wrote:
Hi John. BigGrin

Infills looking good mate.Cool Cool

It will definitely help with planking later now you can more easily see the profile shaped. BigGrin

Regards

George

Yeah George, she feels great too - quite solid and firm like a log - only lighter. Reckon I can chuck it about now without too many dramas!LOL BigGrin
Thanks for looking in mate.

Regards
JohnP
John Passmore
#55 Posted : 07 June 2014 09:58:39

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Looking good JohnCool

Thanks Andy and Mr T for looking in.

Now the infills are done I can get on with modelling - I've fallen about 3 weeks behind.BigGrin

Regards
JohnP
Gandale
#56 Posted : 07 June 2014 10:25:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great work John, she is coming along very nicely indeed....Cool Cool .. Don't worry about being 3 weeks behind, just take your time and enjoy the experience.. Anyone can build quickly but sometimes the quality suffers... Keep going as you are and she will be a credit to you....Cool Cool .. Will be following...

Regards

Alan
John Passmore
#57 Posted : 07 June 2014 12:31:14

Gandale wrote:
Great work John, she is coming along very nicely indeed....Cool Cool .. Don't worry about being 3 weeks behind, just take your time and enjoy the experience.. Anyone can build quickly but sometimes the quality suffers... Keep going as you are and she will be a credit to you....Cool Cool .. Will be following...

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for looking in and your kind words of advice. Don't worry about me rushing the job as I'm well and truly hooked on this little caper. If I can achieve just half the quality of your build I shall be happy!BigGrin

Regards
JohnP
jonny7england
#58 Posted : 07 June 2014 12:44:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi John...Well done mate...Very nice work!! Smile ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Martyn Ingram
#59 Posted : 07 June 2014 15:54:49

BigGrin Nice work on the infills John. Looking good ThumpUp Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
John Passmore
#60 Posted : 08 June 2014 14:59:59

Hi Jonny and Martin

Thanks for looking in and words of commendation. Yes it was hard work but I'm sure the infills will have a positive impact on the future of the build.

Regards
JohnPBigGrin