Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages «<89101112>»
Jack.Aubrey's Soleil Royal Options
jack.aubrey
#181 Posted : 21 July 2014 12:05:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Monday, January 13, 2014 - Channels and chain plates

Yesterday I spent the afternoon of Sunday working on Soleil.

I delayed for a while the preparation of the chain plates, waiting to feel confident with "soldering" methodology. But I had to find new size of deadeyes, 7mm. rather than 5mm. (the latter are provided by De Agostini but I feel them out of scale), so I worked to finish the wooden part of the channels.

In practice, as you can see from the pictures so far proposed, they lack all the reinforcements of the upper side, similar to reversed bracket. These pieces are distributed by De Agostini pre-cut but, once again, I decided to redo them from scratch, starting from a strip of solid dark wood.

In practice I had to do from scratch these fairly small pieces with the aggravating factor that I had to correct them to get the joints to fit (one by one) to their individual locations.

This activity, laughing and joking, took me a whole afternoon . .

PS: the pencil marks on the channels and the wale below indicate the position for each chain plate. This positioning takes care of the locations of the gunports.

01 P1090710.jpg

02 P1090711.jpg

03 P1090712.jpg

04 P1090709.jpg
jack.aubrey
#182 Posted : 23 July 2014 11:33:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thursday, January 16, 2014 - Small but important progresses. . 

Yesterday, Wednesday, I spent a couple of hours to find, plan and fix on the sides of the hull, with the usual two-component epoxy glue, new decorations, elements that should be applied before fixing the chain plates. 

Then, while waiting for the glue to take its course, I have finished the preparation of the individual pieces that make up the chain plates that I had in mind to build for my Soleil.

01 P1090723.jpg

02 P1090724.jpg

Today, however, I was able to proceed with the assemply of the chain plates . . my bigger problems was the need to weld some pieces, task which for me had always been rather problematic. But this time I put new right efforts and, with the proper tools and the correct method I finally managed the job . . 

Below two pictures show you ten "prototype" chain plates . . but I'm so satisfied of the result that I will pass to mass production soon: I need to build about sixty of them.

03 P1090721.jpg

04 P1090722.jpg
jack.aubrey
#183 Posted : 23 July 2014 11:34:36

Saturday, January 25, 2014 - Chain plates again . .

On Thursday and Friday I continued to devote myself to the construction of the " blessed chain plates". After the ten prototypes that I have fully complied with, now it remains to construct another 50 to complete the full set.

So these two days I started this business, pretty boring because of the high repeatability.
Let's say that today, if I find a couple of hours to work, matter that is not guaranteed due to other commitments, I should add to the ten prototypes about 35-40 new pieces.

Then I'll can finally proceed with their installation on the hull.

But first, there is still another task to do : paint or burnish brass/tin with which they are made.

1st hypothesis : Painting
Here the problem lies in how to prepare the pieces for painting . The solding flux paste leaves a film of dirt that must be removed in advance with a detergent. Then a coat of primer and matt black or gun metal. Does anyone have any idea what is better to use for cleaning ?

2nd Hypothesis : Browning
Again, there is the problem of degreasing with the addition of the uncertainty of how the burnishing liquid works on brass and tin. If that produces the same color effect or not. In the latter case I would say that this hypothesis would be rejected. Has anyone an answer on this matter?

For now it's all about, to hear from you, Jack.
jack.aubrey
#184 Posted : 23 July 2014 11:36:29

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - Display Case 

Cause a very aggressive flu I did nothing since my last post in this topic.

In the meantime, however, I had arranged with a craftsman to prepare for my model a display case in plexiglass; this case went in the meantime available just these last days. 

It seems pointless to go back on the exposition way of the model, since it is a topic discussed in detail in the past. 

Here are some photos which show that, even with the selected display solution, it is a very nice "backside" although it's nothing if compared with the model completed with masting. 

Cheers, Jack.

01 P1090734.jpg

02 P1090733.jpg

03 P1090732.jpg

04 P1090731.jpg
jack.aubrey
#185 Posted : 24 July 2014 08:56:43

Thursday, February 20, 2014 - still chain plates . .

Today I started the painting of the more than 50 chain plates.

- I prepared a small polystyrene frame on which I applied two strips of double-sided adhesive on which to place the pieces to be painted.

- Once I placed all the chain plates on the frame I painted with the airbrush a metal primer on all the items. I then waited an hour or so waiting the primer to dry.

- In the meantime I prepared the airbrush with the final paint color (the final color is not exactly this, but for now we can consider it so).

- I then sprayed the chain plates and I left everything to dry thoroughly.

- Tomorrow I will proceed to remove and reposition the chain plates on the other side to repeat the same procedure on the hidden side . Only at this point the task of painting can be considered as finished.

At that point i'll have to mount them in place and, once established definitively, with the dry-brush technique pass a rather rough coat (only on the metal parts of the chain plates) with "gun metal" paint.

Hoping everything is clear, warm greetings, Jack.

01 P1090736.jpg

02 P1090735.jpg

03 P1090738.jpg
jack.aubrey
#186 Posted : 24 July 2014 08:59:28

Saturday, April 12, 2014 - reopening the shipyard . .

It's almost two months since this yard was closed, due to various commitments . . Now it is a couple of days I've found the will to start working again and I immediately applied myself to finish the work I stopped before this health interruption.

The new work consisted of installing in their place all the deadeyes and their chains . An operation that requires a good deal of patience and precision. At the end it came out with a job half done, in the sense that I finished the right side of the model and for the next few days I have to complete the left side.

I forgot to write that before closing the shipyard I prepared the stumps of the masts, excluding the bowsprit. These pieces can be seen in some of the attached images.

I omit the explanation of how I proceeded in fixing the chain plates, I think everyone can imagine how . I am very happy with the resulting strength and appearance.

Here are some pictures to describe the work done and the results obtained.

01 P1090756.jpg

02 P1090750.jpg

03 P1090752.jpg

04 P1090751.jpg
jack.aubrey
#187 Posted : 24 July 2014 09:03:23

Saturday, April 19, 2014 - slowly but . .

As I said in the title, slowly. . . but regularly, I resumed working on the Soleil Royal. This week I finished the installation of the chain plates and the deadeyes, left missing on one side of the hull. This time, thanks to the experience gained from the work of the previous week, I went slightly faster.

I then changed type of activity: although it probably will not be the most appropriate activity in a logical sequence, I began to work to install the gun ports and the guns (or the half pipe skeletons of the gun) themselves. Twenty-six gun ports on each side plus four aft and four in the bow.

I already prepared long time ago the wooden part of these ports. Now I have prepared brass rings starting from wire 0.25 rolled around a drill bit of 0.5. For every door will need three, two to lift it and one to withdraw, so 60 x 3 = 180.

To make the story short, after having prepared enough material for one side, I set the rings on the gunports, and then I tried gluing the ports in their position. I  used for this task the two components epoxy glue and a drop of cyan in gel format. The gel is useful to keep the ports in position for the 12/24 hour necessary to the epoxy for hardening.

I think this is the strongest bonding possible, as confirmed by the prototype that I prepared and shown long time ago.

Here are some pictures . . but the work still to be done is a lot. I took photos with the smartphone, so they are not very sharp, but still give the idea in their own way .

01 CAM00168.jpg

02 CAM00162.jpg

03 CAM00165.jpg

04 CAM00166.jpg
jack.aubrey
#188 Posted : 25 July 2014 09:53:00

Today, Easter Sunday, resting relaxed.

I just checked when I went to pick up my mother-in-law to bring her to my house that the bonding of the gun ports, made  with the epoxy came well: I have not tried the breaking point it seem to be, for my feeling, pretty high. So I'm fully satisfied with my choice.

Cheers, Jack.

CAM00163.jpg

CAM00167.jpg

P1090757.jpg
jack.aubrey
#189 Posted : 25 July 2014 09:54:42

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The day is dedicated to building a hundred rings with pin, to simulate the ring bolts on the gun ports, in order to have material enough for the remaining pieces. The photo below shows the procedure I used to build these "ring bolts": 0.25 brass wire with the ends bent and clamped in a tweezers. At this point everything is screwed around a drill bit and run enough revolutions to achieve the right piece . . simple but VERY repetitive, every 10 pieces I was surfing on the internet to change and relax.

01 P1090759.jpg

Then I browned the whole so that they were ready for final assembly.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

At the last moment I discovered in my personal, old, unused pieces reserve some copper elements that may serve very well to simulate the hinges and I decided to use them. The decision resulted in looking at the gun ports already attached to the hull, where the top is very well visible and therefore this kind of element should improve realism. 

I then browned them too and I began to prepare them for installation by cutting them into pieces of appropriate length. 

In the first image we see the wooden gun ports ready to start work, pre-drilled to accommodate a group of ring bolts and also the ring bolts burnished.

02 P1090763.jpg

Below we see the gun ports "finished", that is, ready to be bonded on the hull and then go to the following processes: ropes to open the ports, for their closing and the half-barrel of the gun. 

I forgot: after the operation a thin coat of matt transparent paint to even out the color and hide the spots of glue.

03 P1090761.jpg

That's all for today, but tomorrow I'll continue with the same activities of today. I hope to finish all the gun ports according to picture 03. 
Regards, Jack.
jack.aubrey
#190 Posted : 25 July 2014 09:57:23

Saturday, April 26, 2014

I've finished to setup the gunports. Today I've mounted them to the hull with the usual method (bi-component epoxy glue and cyano-acrylate). 
I've also definitely installed the masts on the decks. 

Here are the four aft gunports below the galleries . .

01 P1090766.jpg

02 P1090770.jpg

. . and here are the two (not four as I mistakenly wrote earlier) gunports at the bow . .

03 P1090768.jpg

04 P1090767.jpg

I'll continue soon . .
jack.aubrey
#191 Posted : 27 July 2014 09:24:12

Continuation. . 

Now even the starboard side has been "decorated" with the gunports. Here, unlike the left side, the hinges are already present on the ports, or rather the bits of burnished copper that simulate them. I think the aesthetic is much better. Obviously I will have to mount the same details on other gunports on the left side. 

Now all gunports are positioned and well bonded. The next step in equipping the ropes to close them. To do this, I'll have to tie a rope on the internal ringbolt, drill the hull inside the port window in proper position, place the head of the rope through the hole and secure it with a some glue. This for sixty times. .  

01 P1090765.jpg

02 P1090771.jpg

03 P1090773.jpg

04 P1090772.jpg

To break the monotony at the same time I'm preparing the structure supporting the boats that you can see (only positioned) in the next photo. The work is still in progress. .

05 P1090769.jpg

Cheers, Jack.Aubrey
Whizgig
#192 Posted : 27 July 2014 09:42:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

nice work JackBigGrin
jack.aubrey
#193 Posted : 27 July 2014 14:00:26

Thursday, May 1, 2014

This afternoon was quite fruitful, at least considering my way of working, notoriously rather slow. 
As a diversion about working around the gunports lids, I focused on the preparation of the support structures for the boats. 
In the following picture the structure coloured in red was already partially ready, I limited myself to prepare cradles with the shape of the boats hull, fix them and stain in mahogany. Finally some eye bolts to band the boats to the structure with ropes. 
The other two in the image, left natural wood, are the ones that will be placed on the basement of the display case and that will support the two larger boats.

01 P1090776.jpg

Below the boats as they will when installed. They are almost all finished, there are only a few details (oars, rudder, etc.) to add on the "green" boat.

02 P1090777.jpg

03 P1090780.jpg

Finally I tried the final fixing of a boat, just to see the final effect. It is one of the two launches which will be fixed on the basement.

04 P1090781.jpg

05 P1090782.jpg

That's all for today, tomorrow I should have the afternoon available, maybe I'll continue . . Regards, Jack.Aubrey
jack.aubrey
#194 Posted : 27 July 2014 14:00:48

Whizgig wrote:
nice work JackBigGrin

Thank you very much. Jack.
Gandale
#195 Posted : 27 July 2014 14:27:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Stunning work Jack, really enjoying your build...Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
riff-raff
#196 Posted : 27 July 2014 15:41:21

A fantastically clean build - Love the contrasting colours - keep up the good work
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Built:
Golden Star, English Brig. RMS Titanic. (Academy 1/400 Centenary Anniversary Edition) Revell-Monogram 1/48 B-29 Superfortress 1:8 Baron von Richthofen's Fokker Tri-plane. HMS Victory. Nelsons Flag Ship. Sultan Arab Dhow. Artesania Latina Carmen II. The Battleship Yamato. Model Airways Wright Flyer 1:16 Scale. Trumpeter Bismarck 1/200. HMS Sovereign of the Seas. The Black Pearl.

Building:HMS Surprisel. Hatchette U96. Soleil Royal.
birdaj2
#197 Posted : 27 July 2014 16:10:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Jack

It gets better and better.

Really lovely paint finishes you have there.

And you are so lucky to have a large work area in which to build.

Looking forward to seeing more of your stunning build.

Happy modelling

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gibbo
#198 Posted : 27 July 2014 17:38:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looks fantastic Jack
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
jack.aubrey
#199 Posted : 28 July 2014 08:48:21

First of all I need to thank a lot all of you that made the previous, incredibly positive, comments: I really appreciated your sentences and they make me even more interested to continue posting . . thanks again, Jack.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Not a very productive week. Apart the short time dedicated to the model, most of the work done on it was to work around the gunport lids to fix the ropes used to close them. Nothing significantly for taking a photo. In the interval between these boring activities I have finished the fourth lauch, the "green" one, and I fixed it to its support together with the "blue" launch. 

The two pictures here below show the two boats on its basement . . .

01 P1090793.jpg

02 P1090792.jpg

. . . while the remaining two images show the boats on board of the vessel. They are only positioned, not fixed, because I do not think it is the right time to definitely bond them in place. I'm thinking about a fixing method that uses pins instead of glue so it can be removed if necessary for access to the details installed on the deck . . . 

03 P1090791.jpg

04 P1090790.jpg

I hope next time I'll be able to show something more interesting. Sincerely, Jack.Aubrey.
jack.aubrey
#200 Posted : 28 July 2014 08:52:09

Monday, May 12, 2014

The work proceeds quite slowly. After I've finished installing the ropes to close the gunport lids on both sides now I started to apply the half-barrel guns. . activity much less boring than the previous one. Tomorrow I plan to complete also the right side. 

For the installation I built a simple tool that helped me to accurately position the drill to make the hole in the right position into the gumport background. In this hole it's then possible to insert the half-barrel of a gun. . . With this tool it was a mere matter of making holes with the drill of the appropriate diameter. 
The bonding of the half barrels was done using the two-component epoxy glue. 

01 CAM00180.jpg

02 CAM00177.jpg

03 CAM00175.jpg

04 CAM00170.jpg

05 CAM00171.jpg

When I'll have finished installing the guns on the other side I will start the next activity that I think harder and more tedious: the two ropes above the gunport lid needed for its opening. See you soon, Jack. 

PS: I've taken these photos with my smartphone: they are significantly better than I did a while ago with the same equipment.  Maybe, after so many scribbles, I start to learn.