Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages «<7891011>»
Jack.Aubrey's Soleil Royal Options
jack.aubrey
#161 Posted : 12 July 2014 10:07:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Friday I missed the usual appointment with my Soleil Royal because I had another appointment, not with a beautiful woman but with the dentist and I also missed Saturday morning because I cut the grass in the garden of my mother-in-law and in the afternoon I was too tired.

But on Sunday I resumed the activities and the day turned into a fruitful event: after spending last Thursday preparing all the necessary pieces, yesterday I started to reap the benefits.

Let's discuss a detail that I worked on between the downtime on the main work: the preparation and installation of the "stairs to climb on board" (whatever they call?) On the two sides, amidships, of the model.

Here I repeated the same method of construction adopted at the time I prepared the ladders at the bow: 1) apply a sheet of veneer on a plywood tablet, taking care to paste only the two ends; 2) then paste the steps (the composite strip element built Thursday) in a parallel manner to the right distance and, 3) cut the pieces with the table saw. An example is in Figure 01, where you can see from left to right, the initial piece, a piece cut out ready for use and two pieces already in use, where there are no elements of the ladder.

01 P1090548.jpg

Below you can see these ladders applied on both sides of the ship.

02 P1090559.jpg

03 P1090558.jpg

Then I continued to work with the metal columns on the forecastle. I will cover this topic with a separate message.

Sincerely, Jack.Aubrey
birdaj2
#162 Posted : 12 July 2014 10:15:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Jack

Another excelllant update.

This build is coming along a treat.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
jack.aubrey
#163 Posted : 13 July 2014 14:38:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Quote:
Jack
Another excelllant update.
This build is coming along a treat.
Kind regards
Tony

Hi Tony, infact this is a kind of diary of this build carefully maintained within some years. To better understand what happens keep in mind that every post has on top a date that is the real date when the facts described inside the post really happened. I'm posting them quite quickly until I'll reach today. Actually I'm very close to complete the model, I foresee more or less another month of work before finishing.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

And now let's discuss the famous red columns on the forecastle. The first image shows the composite handrail, prepared in advance and already shaped on the lines of the hull. Bending is permanent and non-deformable.

01 P1090549.jpg

The various elements, including columns, applied in place and ready for the next step, namely the fixing of the "handrail". The wooden parts are fixed with vinyl, the columns with the two-components epoxy. By the way, I decided not to color of gold the circular gunports: I prefer the natural wood color . . 

02 P1090553.jpg

03 P1090550.jpg

04 P1090551.jpg

In the next session I'll install the handrails and then I should close the works in the bow and forecatle area. Regards, Jack.
jack.aubrey
#164 Posted : 13 July 2014 14:40:18

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Yesterday afternoon was dedicated to the Soleil Royal.

Specifically, I completed the handrails of the forecastle area.

After two or three minutes of thoughts, I decided not to use the metal garnishments of the handrail estremities provided with the kit: too simple and not accurate. I spent a couple of hours to test prototypes of different shapes using a small tablet of pear wood (I was going to try some kind of engraving).

At the end I opted for a simple shape, easier to achieve, given that my first engraving attempts with various tools could not properly be called a success.

Here are some pictures, the first three before making some finishing, especially the "home made" garnishments. The other two are finished and after a coat of oil to enphasize the wooden color.

01 P1090560.jpg

02 P1090561.jpg

03 P1090562.jpg

04 P1090563.jpg

05 P1090564.jpg

I also worked on the preparation of other details located on the forecastle, when they will be completed and installed I'll show them. This afternoon relax. Sincerely, Jack.
jack.aubrey
#165 Posted : 13 July 2014 14:42:17

Sunday, June 30, 2013 - Forecastle

Today I finished some details on the forecastle . . I lost quite a bit of time to prepare the missing pieces, painting and installing them, but at the end, this part of the ship should be complete. Of course the guns and something else are surely missing,but for now it's okay.

Now I'll work on the rear decks of the ship, although first of all I need to study in deep how they should be arranged.

On the forecastle all the pieces where a metal piece is involved are bonded with bi-component glue: are attached in a truly "strong" way . .

Greetings, Jack.Aubrey. 

01 P1090576.jpg

02 P1090575.jpg

03 P1090574.jpg
jack.aubrey
#166 Posted : 14 July 2014 23:15:33

Saturday, July 6, 2013

It's several days I don't show any progress . . I have done quite a lot of work in spite of the heat that is back now, but I didn't have till now anything interesting to show. 

The work done, incidentally, is still about the well known "columns": the forecastle is almost finished, so i started to work on the other decks located in the stern area.

I had no big problems to deal with them, but the work has evolved rather slowly for several reasons, among which the main course is always the bi-component epoxy glue that takes a life to take hold and dry.

I have discovered a kind of epoxy glue that in theory works in 5 minutes instead of hours but for this type of work it is not suitable: once mixed you have only three minutes to paste the piece and for this reason is not suitable to be used on many pieces concurrently (like our columns). Ii's more suitable for one or two pieces, otherwise you do not have enough time to use it. So its usage is delayed to the next first available opportunity.

I am attaching four photos of details of the work done on the rear decks . . 

Kind regards. Jack.Aubrey

01 P1090585.jpg

02 P1090586.jpg

03 P1090587.jpg

04 P1090588.jpg
jack.aubrey
#167 Posted : 14 July 2014 23:17:27

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Nothing new compared to yesterday, only three pictures where the whole model is portrayed. Regards, Jack.

01 P1090589.jpg

02 P1090590.jpg

03 P1090591.jpg
davetwin
#168 Posted : 14 July 2014 23:32:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I am really enjoying our build log Jack.

You are doing some fantastic work which is showing your a beautiful looking model ThumpUp
jack.aubrey
#169 Posted : 15 July 2014 14:03:24

davetwin wrote:
I am really enjoying our build log Jack. You are doing some fantastic work which is showing your a beautiful looking model ThumpUp

Hi davetwin, be patient, I'm gradually updating the log to reach the progresses of today . . now, as you can see from the date in my last post we are still in the past, more/less one year ago. I'll continue to post updates. Cheers, Jack.

jack.aubrey
#170 Posted : 15 July 2014 14:05:50

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Even a small step forward in the installation of the gunwale with columns. Now only a piece is missing. It's a piece a bit complex because I need to insert a round gunport, but after it what remains is very simple. Let's say three working sessions, one per day, then three days.

01 P1090597.jpg

02 P1090598.jpg

03 P1090599.jpg

04 P1090600.jpg

Kind regards, Jack.
jack.aubrey
#171 Posted : 15 July 2014 14:08:01

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Some pictures of the aft gunwales practically finished. Now all the pieces are perfectly glued. There are now only a couple of things to be done to finally complete this phase:
- Cut the railing (visible in the photo n° 05) to open the gap in the middle. This element was glued in one piece to ensure a perfectly straight line;
- Decide how to color the gunwales top extremities: I scratch made these elements instead of the quarter-circle golden elements proposed by De Agostini;
- Remove all the dust, now practically covering the whole hull, with the air compressor;
- One coat of oil on the rails and maybe even on the decks.

Until next time with new images. . Jack.

01 P1090606.jpg

02 P1090608.jpg

03 P1090611.jpg

04 P1090610.jpg

05 P1090609.jpg
Gibbo
#172 Posted : 15 July 2014 16:48:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking fabulous Jack.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
jack.aubrey
#173 Posted : 18 July 2014 09:02:52

I'm publishing other five pictures of my Soleil, always dated back to Saturday, July 13, showing further details and / or views of the complete model.

On Sunday I still worked on the model for a couple of hours working on further trim the ends of the rails to embellish a bit. I also glued five stairs/steps on the decks . . then I left the Soleil and I started to apply seven / eight strakes on the deck of the 12 Apostles.

Now I have to think a little bit about the upcoming activities. Of big stuff there would still be a two/three things:
- End to apply decorations (boring part but that sooner or later I have to finish);
- Install the channels and related chain plates and deadeyes;
- Install all the gunports.

Then there would be other jobs that could be interesting (the stumps of the trees, the guns on the forecastle and quarterdeck, etc.). We'll see though probably (and rationally) follow my plan just stated above.

A cordial greeting, Jack.     

01 P1090617.jpg

02 P1090616.jpg

03 P1090615.jpg

04 P1090613.jpg

05 P1090612.jpg
jack.aubrey
#174 Posted : 18 July 2014 09:05:18

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

I have painted my "doodles" closing the tops of the gunwales with stain and I have installed five stairs/steps which connect various decks together . .

Now I have to find new things to do. There are still many and I cannot decide where to start, maybe I'll start with the installation of the channels . .

01 P1090622.jpg

02 P1090623.jpg

03 P1090625.jpg

04 P1090624.jpg
jack.aubrey
#175 Posted : 19 July 2014 12:20:45

Thursday, January 2, 2014

I spent the Christmas period to reorganize my lab. . it was really needed, partly because of the long period of activity and inactivity that characterized the last months. 

I have now a full and renewed knowledge of what I have in charge and where it is . . before I felt the lab of another person. 

I had to think for a long time during these days on which model to work: the Soleil Royal or the Twelve Apostles, and at the end I decided to resume my work on the Soleil Royal. 
The reason of this decision is quite simple: the next activity on the Twelve Apostles is to do works that generate a lot of sawdust and in this particular moment I prefer, at least for a couple of months, to avoid jobs that produce dust. This to minimize the impact on my eyes, just recoverted from two surgical operations. 

So, as a logical consequence, the choice fell on the Soleil.

There are quite a lot of works to do. Today I spent the afternoon preparing a working plan that I will refine further tomorrow. 
Anyway I decided that I will start with the preparation and installation of the channels
Obviously I think to improve the material provided by De Agostini . . 
Then I'll work on the broken pieces of the masts (you should already know they will not be full masts but only a mokup interrupted below the tops . 

Now I just have to start real work and I'm going to do this tomorrow.

We'll hear soon. Jack.
jack.aubrey
#176 Posted : 19 July 2014 12:22:25

Friday, January 3, 2014

As promised yesterday I went back at work. . starting with the channels.  I'm using my new glasses (I had to change them after the last cataract operation) and they sound OK.

I used the material provided by De Agostini just as a support to be coated above, below and to the sides with veneer strips of 0.5x5mm. This to provide greater realism to these details that were not built with a single piece of wood.

Obviously I still have to finish them and later I'll need to fix on the sides of the hull , so no photos.

On the other hand I wrote down a rough plan of the activities that I will carry forward in the future in order to get finished this model . It's a rough plan that needs to be further refined, but it is enough to understand that there is still much work to do, even if the solution I have in mind doesn't foresee the complete masts and consequently all the rigging and the sails.

The plan is roughly as follows; the list is not in order of priority, but only a simple list of macro activities. 

Quote:

• Masts: mainmast, foremastes, mizzen mast and bowstrit (only stumps) 
  • Lower and intermediate deck guns: fix gunports as prototype made some months ago 
  • Lower and middle deck guns fixing
  • Upper deck guns fixing 
  • Quarterdeck and forecastle guns: complete installation with rigging 
  • Channels 
  • Chain plates and deadeyes
  • Poop decorations to be completed 
  • Figurehead and headrails, bowsprit 
  • Missing riding bitts, belaying pins 
  • Poop lanterns 
  • Stern guns and gunports 
  • Boats to fix onboard 
  • Boat to be fixed on the display case 
  • Finishing the display case (plexyglass)

jack.aubrey
#177 Posted : 19 July 2014 12:24:51

Thursday January 8, 2014 - Channels

Today I did'nt work because I had other commitments but yesterdaty I carried out some useful work with the channels: today I only limited myself in taking photos.

Preparing the channels may feel a simple task but it is not. To bring MY channels to the point that you can see in the following photos, I spent three afternoons . . . and there are still to prepare other elements.

To build MY channels I used the material from De Agostini (a pre- cut plywood rather poor) only as internal support that I covered with strips of chestnut veneer on both sides of the element.

The outer frame is made with boxwood to match the original shape.

Then I inserted some metal pins with the objective of strengthening the bonding on the sides of the hull.

But let the pictures speak for me: work in progress, you can see more clamps than anything else. They keep in place a  reinforcement below the channel.

01 P1090704.jpg

The channels installed but without the outer frame complete. .

02 P1090703.jpg

The channels with the outer frame (here only positioned, not fixed)

03 P1090699.jpg

04 P1090700.jpg
Whizgig
#178 Posted : 19 July 2014 12:33:33

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice work mate I love how clean and elegant your attention to detail is spot on.BigGrin
jack.aubrey
#179 Posted : 21 July 2014 12:00:32

continuation of the previous message. . 

The channels photographed from a lower perspective. 

It's possible to note that I have added a further reinforcement with the same wood of the wale below. 

I felt this measure necessary because, having decided to set up the model with no full masts, there will be no standing rigging to firmly hold together these elemens. 
In my case, in fact there will be in place only the lower deadeyes . .

01 P1090701.jpg

02 P1090702.jpg

03 P1090705.jpg

These days I'd the possibility to use the grinding machine illustrated here below. It 'a great tool for many processes. 
To use at its best it has to be fixed to the worktop, in my case on an old desk.
I preferred an alternative solution (although not to spoil the desk) that works in practice in the same way and can be removed easily . .

04 P1090706.jpg
jack.aubrey
#180 Posted : 21 July 2014 12:02:22

Thursday, January 9, 2014 - Chain Plates

Today I started to do some tests to determine how to build the chain plates with the lower deadeyes . . 

I have in mind several ideas but all of them have as a prerequisite some kind of "soldering" . . 

Unfortunately, I discovered that soldering is a real headache for me and this doesn't make things easier. I'm following training courses via YouTube where everything seems quite easy, but then I can mess with. I also asked for recommendations to friends.

I know that sooner or later I will be successful but it will cost me tears and blood before I'll get satisfactory results. 

That's all for today, Jack.