Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages «<1415161718>»
Gibbo's DelPrado Victory Build Options
Gibbo
#301 Posted : 08 December 2021 00:23:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

After painting the thread and stanchion black i made a template for the netting and then with a very sharp knife and a steel rule cut the netting, the top was sewn on first by doing a bit then a dab of superglue, doing a bit more and more superglue, the bottom of the netting proved to be a lot more difficult so i put a spot of superglue on a couple of places to keep it from moving around and them sewing it up, so about 4 hours later one side is done, now i need to rest my eyes.
Gibbo attached the following image(s):
20211207_224805.jpg
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
tom.ganc
#302 Posted : 08 December 2021 23:21:02

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

She is looking really good. Some nice progress here.

I need to get some more work on mine too ;)

Regards
Tom
Gibbo
#303 Posted : 09 December 2021 00:00:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks Tom, thanks Chris, your comments are much appreciated.
Regards
Paul
Gibbo
#304 Posted : 11 December 2021 01:01:02

The netting is done on both sides and the squiggly bits are on( still don't know what they're called, anybody ? ), next up is the ekeing rails, i think i'm going to have to build these from scratch as the Heller ones are too short and they thin out at the ends, but they'll be a good pattern to work from.
20211210_230347 - Copy.jpg
20211210_230307.jpg
Markwarren
#305 Posted : 11 December 2021 10:17:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Excellent work Paul, looking very nice.Love Drool Drool

Mark
z8000783
#306 Posted : 11 December 2021 11:06:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Well done Paul, coming together nicely.

Plymouth57
#307 Posted : 11 December 2021 19:16:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely work again Paul!Cool Cool Cool
I couldn't find any reference to the 'sqiggly bits' in my huge Alan McGowan Victory book, the DelPrado instructions weren't much help, only calling it 'decoration' but then I found it in the John McKay 'Anatomy of the Ship' book on Victory - it's called the 'False Rail'!BigGrin
Strange name but I suppose it rolls off the tongue a little easier than 'Untrustworthy Barrier'!LOL

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gibbo
#308 Posted : 11 December 2021 21:38:31

Plymouth57 wrote:
Lovely work again Paul!Cool Cool Cool
I couldn't find any reference to the 'sqiggly bits' in my huge Alan McGowan Victory book, the DelPrado instructions weren't much help, only calling it 'decoration' but then I found it in the John McKay 'Anatomy of the Ship' book on Victory - it's called the 'False Rail'!BigGrin
Strange name but I suppose it rolls off the tongue a little easier than 'Untrustworthy Barrier'!LOL

Robin.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL A "False Rail", i think i prefer "Untrustworthy Barrier"

Thanks Robin
Gibbo
#309 Posted : 12 December 2021 22:12:51

After going through my stash of off cuts and bits of wood i couldn't find any soft wood for bending that would do for the Ekeking Rail so decided to start work on the Channels, i had some 15mm X 2mm Tanganyka that i had bought for the 1/84 victory stuck them together to make it 15mm X 4mm then using the John Mckay book Anatomy Of The Ship i measured the pictures of the channels and multiplied them by 1/192 then divided by 1/100 to give me the correct sizes, i then took pictures of them and using MS publisher, changed the sizes on screen to give me where i needed to cut and drill for the deadeyes and bolts.
20211212_203029 (2).jpg
20211212_203539 (2).jpg
tom.ganc
#310 Posted : 14 December 2021 11:08:05

Looking great again, can't wait to see it finished. I just have done mine and she looks so much better with the channels on :)

Regards
Tom
Gibbo
#311 Posted : 14 December 2021 23:56:37

tom.ganc wrote:
Looking great again, can't wait to see it finished. I just have done mine and she looks so much better with the channels on :)

Regards
Tom

Hi Tom
Thanks for that, my first effort didn't go to plan so have ordered some 3mm softer wood than the tanganika for the channels, they turned out to be too thick anyway, i tried cutting the slots with my Proxxon table saw but just couldn't get the depth to be uniform so my plan is now to put it in the vice to a certain level and find a thicker saw blade to do in one cut, so onto plan B.

Regards
Paul
Plymouth57
#312 Posted : 15 December 2021 21:14:03

Coming on really well there Paul! I had to look back through my diary to remember how I did the slots on mine. Turns out I did them in a mini vice but with the pair of channels from port and starboard gripped together so they would both have mirror image slots as far as the spacing was concerned, and with the slots filed out with a flat diamond dust file.
Keep them coming!

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gibbo
#313 Posted : 16 December 2021 02:38:45

Plymouth57 wrote:
Coming on really well there Paul! I had to look back through my diary to remember how I did the slots on mine. Turns out I did them in a mini vice but with the pair of channels from port and starboard gripped together so they would both have mirror image slots as far as the spacing was concerned, and with the slots filed out with a flat diamond dust file.
Keep them coming!

Robin.

Ah thanks Robin, i put a larger thicker blade in my Proxxon table saw and because of the etch i bought which is a bit thinner i think that'll do the trick, i've had a bit of a play and it seems to work OK but will probably need stronger glasses to get it bang on, In John Mckays Anatomy of the ship the outer edge of the channels are thinner, so if i take the 3mm i have ordered and take the outer edge and graduate it down to 2mm i'll have enough meat going into the hull with some pin supports and narrow enough to take the chain etch, ( well it's a plan ), i have a flat diamond file and i'll give both a go tomorrow night if my wood arrives.
thanks for the advice mate and i'm glad you're keeping an eye on me it's much appreciated.
tom.ganc
#314 Posted : 16 December 2021 11:06:39

Sounds like a great plan. It's always a fun when you have to come up with idea how to make certain things. I'm gradually growing an idea of building one model from scratch but I will need to gear up for this first :)

Have fun and keep us posted...

Regards
Tom
Gibbo
#315 Posted : 29 December 2021 05:41:00

Hey Tom
Well happy days my plan worked, i took the the measured blank and with some dividers set at 1.5mm scored down the middle a few times and then took a diamond file and made a groove for the 1.6mm electrical copper wire to sit in, then i shaped the ends with my Proxxon drill with a Proxxon cylindrical sander attached to create the curved shape at each end of the channel, i then cut the slots out for the chain whales to sit in and offered it up to the model and surprising with this model it lined up to the gun ports really well, ( based on past experience with DelPrado they got this bit pretty bang on, makes a change doesn't it Robin ) then i had to literally had dig out the groove at the end of each channel to continue the groove, when that was done i sanded down both sides of the cannel to bring it down to approx to 2.3mm, i clamped some 1.6mm copper wire to the edge of the channels put in a vice and with a hammer and a round edge of a file moulded the the copper around the curved edge of the channels, these are all sitting in their own bags ready to be blackened and painted but before that the channels were too high on the original setting so they will have to lowered which means cutting into the original moulding that i put on, yet more chopping up of the ship, it's not like we haven't done this before on the DelPrado, but hey, happy days.
20211220_195202 (2).jpg
20211220_195339 (2).jpg
20211220_204639 (2).jpg
20211229_002125 (2).jpg
20211229_002242 (2).jpg
20211229_005847 (2).jpg
Gibbo
#316 Posted : 30 December 2021 23:42:34

Well i'm happy with the way things turned out on the channels, just a bit of tidying up to do on them, just a couple of shiny bits to dull down from gluing on the copper edging.
20211230_214058 (2).jpg
tenderfoot
#317 Posted : 31 December 2021 01:08:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

Gibbo wrote:
This is the original stern metal backplate that came with this kit, the instructions said just stick it on it doesn't need painting, i think it was an afterthought as the kit was being produced

OMG! That is truly entertaining. Looks to me like the perfect opportunity for a mod. That aside, absolutely beautiful craftsmanship on this. Gonna keep following.
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
tenderfoot
#318 Posted : 31 December 2021 01:13:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

Gibbo wrote:
After going through my stash of off cuts and bits of wood i couldn't find any soft wood for bending that would do for the Ekeking Rail so decided to start work on the Channels, i had some 15mm X 2mm Tanganyka that i had bought for the 1/84 victory stuck them together to make it 15mm X 4mm then using the John Mckay book Anatomy Of The Ship i measured the pictures of the channels and multiplied them by 1/192 then divided by 1/100 to give me the correct sizes, i then took pictures of them and using MS publisher, changed the sizes on screen to give me where i needed to cut and drill for the deadeyes and bolts.

The “Anatomy of the Ship” series is fantastic. I grab them whenever I can find one related to the ship I am
Building. If it isn’t the same exact ship, I try to find one in the same class. Can’t begin to describe how much they help.
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
Gibbo
#319 Posted : 01 January 2022 20:37:20

tenderfoot wrote:
Gibbo wrote:
This is the original stern metal backplate that came with this kit, the instructions said just stick it on it doesn't need painting, i think it was an afterthought as the kit was being produced

OMG! That is truly entertaining. Looks to me like the perfect opportunity for a mod. That aside, absolutely beautiful craftsmanship on this. Gonna keep following.

You think that's funny, the original forcastle would look good outside a country cottage as a white picket fence. Laugh Laugh
Gibbo
#320 Posted : 01 January 2022 21:30:32

A little progress made over the new year period, the Channels were marked out on the hull to be able to cut out the moulding and lower them, the Chain plates have been blackened along with my fingers, i decided to blacken them while still on their sprues because they are very small and very delicate and i just know there will be one that will go missing and i can cut them off and attach them in sequence, the 5 & 3mm deadeyes were soaked in ebony stain for around an hour or so and were bagged up with the channels for when they're ready to go, i also purchased some 1.5mm belay pins for the bitts, i was going to paint them black but they're natural as they sit now in Portsmouth, so i'm going with that.
fore channel placement.jpg
Mizzen & Main Channel placement.jpg
Brass Chainplates.jpg
Blackened Chainplates (2).jpg
Blackened Deadeyes.jpg
Belay pins.jpg