Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages «<16171819>
Gibbo's DelPrado Victory Build Options
tom.ganc
#341 Posted : 12 January 2022 13:26:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Looking good, you are pushing forward hard :)

Looking forward to the next update ;)

Regards
Tom
Gibbo
#342 Posted : 13 January 2022 02:17:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Tonights effort has been put into filling and sanding for the new positions for the Channels, also while the wood filler was drying sorting out some deck elements, i dived into the Heller kit for the Chimney because the one that came with the original kit was way to small and the wrong shape, the Staghorns, the poop deck Snatch Blocks, the Boat chocks, ( of which there were only six large ones so i had to cut four of them down to medium and had to make two small ones which i did out of planking material and sapele veneer as the base ) and positioned according to John McKay, unfortunately before i had realised i cut down two snatch blocks which could have been used for the forecastle and are now going to be used as cathead Cleats.....DOH.
Gibbo attached the following image(s):
Deck Elements.jpg
Sanding channels1.jpg
Sanding channels2.jpg
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Gibbo
#343 Posted : 13 January 2022 03:20:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Paint touch up and Channel ready
Channel Ready.jpg
tom.ganc
#344 Posted : 14 January 2022 14:10:24

Gibbo wrote:
Paint touch up and Channel ready

Looks like nothing ever happened there LOL

Get the channels fitted I can't wait...

Tom
Gibbo
#345 Posted : 14 January 2022 23:55:02

I started by putting some 3mm masking tape where the channels will fit, i then drilled the back of the channels and using some 1mm stainless steel wire inserted into the holes and cut them quite short but still able to get them out, i then pressed it against the masking tape and made an indent, the channel seat indents were then drilled and the channels were sanded to fit the hull shape , the short stainless steel wire was then replaced and glued with longer wire and temporarily fitted.
Channels Ready To Go.jpg
Channels Temporary Fit.jpg
Channels Temporary Fit2.jpg
Gibbo
#346 Posted : 15 January 2022 23:49:17

I thought it would be a lot easier to put the deadeyes into the chains while they were still in there sprue to not lose anything to the carpet munchers, working out which way was the best way turned out to be a bit of a mission, after trying a couple of things i found using a sprung pair of tiny pliers to open them up turned out to be the best way, on the fore and main channels you use 5mm and 3mm deadeyes, there was a couple of times i tried to put 5mm into the 3mm slots and wondered why i had so much trouble and then you realise you've been a complete idiot, Blushing the Mizzen channel on the Heller etch needs 3.5mm deadeyes so they are on order which gives me time to sort out some more deck elements.
20220115_211628 (2).jpg
tom.ganc
#347 Posted : 16 January 2022 13:45:04

Wow that’s small ;)
Looking great and it will
Look even better when you fit it. She is coming along nicely ;)
Gibbo
#348 Posted : 18 January 2022 01:08:25

Thank you Tom your comments are much appreciated, i turned my attention to the poop deck hammock cranes, these are part of the Heller aftermarket upgrade kit, after priming the whole sprue with red oxide they were painted black and the holes drilled out a little wider to take rope.
20220117_235041.jpg
goddo
#349 Posted : 18 January 2022 13:41:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Paul,
Looks like you’re doing another fantastic job with the cranes and chainwales.
Keep it coming.
Chris.
birdaj2
#350 Posted : 18 January 2022 21:16:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks very nice indeed.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gibbo
#351 Posted : 23 January 2022 00:40:14

Tony and Chris, thank you very much for your comments and encouragement it's much appreciated, the hammock cranes are slowly getting put in place with the paper netting templates.
Hammock Cranes a.jpg
Plymouth57
#352 Posted : 23 January 2022 21:10:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is coming on beautifully Paul! A lovely job. I really must try and do something to my old girl soon - even if its only to finish off the fore-channels so they are all on together!
I keep getting waylaid with other builds!Crying

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gibbo
#353 Posted : 28 January 2022 00:07:02

Thanks Robin much appreciated mate, i have finished attaching the hammock cranes all 80 of them, and the paper templates for the netting, my eyes are spinning in my head, how you had the patience to build your own Robin i will never know, time to finish off the deck elements left me thinks.
DSC_2671.JPG
tom.ganc
#354 Posted : 28 January 2022 10:05:26

Hiya
Looking great, rope looks way better than wire in my opinion. Once netting is in place it looks really smart. Wait when you start messing with the hammocks. I'm at this stage now but doing it different way than instructions advise.

I will post some pics shortly ;)

Regards
Tom

Gibbo
#355 Posted : 28 January 2022 18:36:14

tom.ganc wrote:

Hiya
Looking great, rope looks way better than wire in my opinion. Once netting is in place it looks really smart. Wait when you start messing with the hammocks. I'm at this stage now but doing it different way than instructions advise.

I will post some pics shortly ;)

Regards
Tom

Thanks Tom, i look forward to seeing how you do yours, i'm thinking of ditching the forecastle cranes as i think it takes too much away from the details of the forecastle, i shall wait until i have the netting on them and live with it for a while and see if it changes my mind, i will get as much done as i possibly can before hitting that " it's now or never" moment.
Regards
Paul
Gibbo
#356 Posted : 30 January 2022 03:32:45

Just had delivered C Neapean Longridge's book on The Anatomy Of Nelson's Ships, what a great read, on my visit to the 'ol girl a few years back i took lots of photos as reference for my build and took photos of the Shrouds, it didn't register at the time but there were Cleats on the shrouds and looking at the cleats supplied with my photoetch stock i'm thinking how the hell am i going to get them on there, they are 0.5mm X 2mm, it's impossible, so reading through Longridge's book i discover Shroud Cleats, (i never knew they existed before) so searching the internet i come across "Dry Dock Models" who want £40 for 24, now they are a great product but Vanguard do 48 for £12 delivered and they are 1.5mm x 5mm something my eyes and fat fingers can handle, they might need a bit of thinning out and rounding off but nothing a diamond file and a bit of patience cant handle, the 3.5mm deadeyes i was waiting on slipped straight through the photoetch and had to order 4mm instead but that turned out ok because they will go go in the futtock shrouds which are 3.5mm, so all is not lost, anyway this evenings project has been to start on the hammock netting, the paper templates were transfered onto an A4 sheet of paper which was stuck onto some cardboard, then the patterns were cut around 2mm oversize and the netting was glued onto the card with PVA, the next step is to soak thread in some diluted PVA and place the thread 2mm inside the pattern and let it all dry and cut out trim the netting with some nice crisp edges, i can't take credit for this method as i saw it Bernd's build log a good few years ago (if you haven't seen it go take a look it's an amazing build), the patterns cut out on the card were kept in case it all went tits up.
Hammock Netting 1.jpg
Hammock Netting 2.jpg
Hammock Netting 3.jpg
Hammock Netting 4.jpg
Hammock Netting 5.jpg
Gibbo
#357 Posted : 02 February 2022 01:05:10

Well that all went quite smoothly as the first photo shows, the trouble is this made them at this scale rather stiff and a right pain to work with, i tried a couple of different things, so i thought i would have to remake them all but the last thing i tried was to cut off the outside threads and that made them a lot more pliable so i fitted one side of the poop deck, there was a lot of fiddly tabbing with Superglue and poking with cocktail sticks for a couple of hours but was a lot easier, the rest i am going to soak in warm water to remove the outside thread so just the other seven to go.
20220201_231208 (2).jpg
20220201_223053 (2).jpg
goddo
#358 Posted : 02 February 2022 09:48:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Paul,
They are tricky things those hammocks aren't they?
I spent what seemed like a week trying to get mine fitted, never to my satisfaction but got there in the end.
Yours are looking really good so well done that man!!
Chris
tom.ganc
#359 Posted : 02 February 2022 15:27:33

Wow that looks great, well done.
I was wondering about the cutout you have in the netting and I can see it is to accommodate pulley mounted on the rail. Well in DeAgostini model netting doesn't go all the way to the end...
I'm not sure how it is on the real thing... you got me thinking now but I'm not changing mine now Flapper
I'm getting the shroud cleats and looking to get open and closed heart blocks for the stays and bowsprit rigging as official instructions use double blocks and this weird looking things that suppose to be heart blocks...

Plymouth57
#360 Posted : 02 February 2022 18:55:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking great as usual Paul! (Of course, with my extra wooden bulwarks I managed to avoid all the poop deck ones!!Flapper )
Thinking on the fitting, maybe if you cut a short piece of dowel just a little thinner than the width of the cranes it might be easier to tamp the netting down flat as opposed to the sharp point on the cocktail stick.
Keep them coming, my 'Ol' Vic' fingers are itching!BigGrin

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1