Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages <1234>»
Gibbo's DelPrado Victory Build Options
Gibbo
#21 Posted : 08 June 2014 03:30:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

This is the original cardboard cut out windows that came with, a little bit mashed up because i had already stuck them on and then decided to change things and then pulled them off.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Gibbo
#22 Posted : 08 June 2014 03:32:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Not getting the hang of this multiple picture thingy, bear with me.
Gibbo attached the following image(s):
Stern  2.jpg
Gibbo
#23 Posted : 08 June 2014 03:41:27

So what i did was scan the original cardboard windows and in Microsoft Publisher overlay them with yellow lines, then delete the carboard template and back it with solid black, i tried different backing colours but the window frames just didn't stand out as well.
Stern 4.JPG
Stern 4.JPG
Gibbo
#24 Posted : 08 June 2014 03:48:26

I painted the original metal stern galleries with the same acrylic paint as the ship.
Stern 5.JPG
Gibbo
#25 Posted : 08 June 2014 03:50:34

Painted the stern decoration
Stern 6.JPG
Gibbo
#26 Posted : 08 June 2014 04:00:52

And then glued the new windows in place, the window frames are darker than the picture tells, i printed on photo gloss paper to give a glass effect but the flash from my camera makes them look a lot lighter, i am going to blue tac them onto the ship tomorrow to see how they look, i will be using the back plate but not sure yet if i'm going to use the quarter galleries or order some better replacements from Cornwall boats, it would probably mean ripping off what's already well and truly glued in (but tomorrow's another day).
Stern 7.JPG
Gandale
#27 Posted : 08 June 2014 09:50:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Gibbo, Keep posting, will be following your progress,,Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
karl josef
#28 Posted : 08 June 2014 12:36:32

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups:

the stern gallery is you super successfulDrool
Best regards,
Reiner
Gibbo
#29 Posted : 08 June 2014 13:21:48

Thanks for looking in guys, unfortunately photographic gloss paper and PVA dont go together, probably just as well because when i got it into the natural light the window frames were still quite yellowy, i'll have to darken them down and get some good quality card, another lesson learned.
DSCN0089.JPG
Plymouth57
#30 Posted : 08 June 2014 17:59:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gibbo.
That's a super improvement over the original cardboard and a very clever use of the computer graphics too!Cool
You could try an epoxy glue to stick the photo paper down with, I'm pretty sure thats what I used for the acetate on my stern. Its also easier if you cut the three tiers of windows into individual strips with just enough overlap top and bottom to glue with and stick each strip in with masking tape to hold it in place until set.
Looks so much better than the one in the instructions already!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
stevie_o
#31 Posted : 08 June 2014 20:16:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gibbo
#32 Posted : 08 June 2014 23:25:48

Thanks Robin, Thanks Steve, i went for the PVA in the end as this gives me a little bit of moving time to get the window frames lined up properly, and i used some of my wife,s watercolouring card, it's around the 330g mark so it's quite thick, got some making good to do and hope to get some pics up tomorrow.
Gibbo
#33 Posted : 09 June 2014 20:26:45

The new 330g artists card worked out really well, Stuck like s**t to blanket, had to do some making good as the arch of the wooden sternplate did not match the arch of the die cast metal sternplate, (a bit of filler required), i decided not to go with better replacement quarter gallery replacements from Cornwall Model Boats as i would have had to rip the whole back end off, if i'd taken off the original quarter gallery sections the wooden back plate would have gone "ping", so i went with what i had, next up is the coppering of the hull below the waterline courtesy of Plymouth57's build.
Finished Stern 3.JPG
Finished Stern 5.JPG
stevie_o
#34 Posted : 09 June 2014 21:23:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Plymouth57
#35 Posted : 09 June 2014 22:12:55

Now that is nice!!Cool Cool Cool The fit of the quarter galleries is better than the ones I had, well, actually the ONE I had as I discovered both were for the same side!! (And far too late to do anything about it!)Cursing
Far better looking than the official build photos (even the painted version had no painting instructions for the metal plates!)

Well done Gibbo!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
karl josef
#36 Posted : 09 June 2014 22:20:13

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups:

gibbo nice work.Drool
Best regards,
Reiner
Gibbo
#37 Posted : 09 June 2014 23:45:00

Thanks for your kind comments guys it's very much appreciated, i'm looking forward to coppering the hull, i know it' gonna be a long job with the prep work involved but it's gonna have to wait until next week, Happy building.
Thanks again.
Paul
Gibbo
#38 Posted : 18 June 2014 23:48:06

Now that my outstanding work has been caught up on and out of the way and my copper tape ( 6mm X 33m from ebay ) £7.00 with delivery, and mini circular saws ( £ 6.00 from ebay ) have arrived i can get cracking on the hull, this comes courtesy of Plymouth57,s build of this particular model ( thanks again Robin )i devised a gadget to make this process a little easier and quicker, i had a bit of skirting board knocking around and a strip of pine, i cut the pine into two strips of 6" in length and stuck them to the skirting board with a gap of 6.5mm inbetween them, then i cut 1/2" slots along the pine to make 12 sections.
Coppering 01.JPG
Gibbo
#39 Posted : 19 June 2014 00:01:17

Why are my images not attaching themselves to my post? lets try again, next i cut the copper tape into 6" strips
Coppering 1.JPG
Gibbo
#40 Posted : 19 June 2014 00:05:46

This is the plain 6" copper strip
Coppering 2.JPG