Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages <12345>»
Gibbo's DelPrado Victory Build Options
Gibbo
#41 Posted : 19 June 2014 00:12:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

with the copper strip upside down i ran the mini circular saw along both edges, this takes a bit of practise to get right but you soon get the hang of it, it's a lot easier using a 44mm blade than a small one, i tried using it with a spindle attached but found i didn't have enough control, it wobbled about a bit.
Gibbo attached the following image(s):
Coppering 3.JPG
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Gibbo
#42 Posted : 19 June 2014 00:14:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

This is what you end up with.
Coppering 4.JPG
Gibbo
#43 Posted : 19 June 2014 00:26:30

This is where the gadget comes into play, in homage to Plymouth57 i've called him "Denter Dave", you place the copper strip face-up and with the edge of the razor saw simply press into each slot to create 1/2" tiles
Coppering 5.JPG
Gibbo
#44 Posted : 19 June 2014 00:31:08

This is your finished copper strip, with the copper face down peel off the backing paper making sure you keep the copper flat on your work surface otherwise it goes very crinkley, then stick the self adhesive copper on the ship.
Coppering 8.JPG
Coppering 9.JPG
Coppering 6.JPG
Gibbo
#45 Posted : 19 June 2014 00:46:00

NOTE! Make a whole batch of them before you start sticking, each strip to rivet and dent takes about a minute and the larger saw is easier on the hands, If i ever do this again i would paint the hull copper first and them varnish it, painting it with white primer shows through any little gaps there might be in the coppering, they dont stick out like a sore thumb but i know they're there, i shall paint over these with copper paint then wipe off any left on the tiles.
Coppering 7.JPG
Plymouth57
#46 Posted : 19 June 2014 23:22:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow! I've been homaged!!Blushing

Seriously though, a lovely job there Gibbo and I like the plate marker/denter! A great idea Cool I must admit I found using the smaller saw disk on its spindle easier but you DO have to watch where its going!BigGrin
If I was coppering another ship's hull I think I might dream up another jig of some kind with maybe brass strips giving a slot to run the saw blade along Blink
It certainly looks the part though. Some use plain tiles because they say you wouldn't see the nails at that scale which may well be true, but I like to go with the 'if its there in full size - stick it in!!'BigGrin

Well done, only a few thousand more to go!Flapper

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gibbo
#47 Posted : 20 June 2014 01:46:43

Plymouth57 wrote:
Wow! I've been homaged!!Blushing

Seriously though, a lovely job there Gibbo and I like the plate marker/denter! A great idea Cool I must admit I found using the smaller saw disk on its spindle easier but you DO have to watch where its going!BigGrin
If I was coppering another ship's hull I think I might dream up another jig of some kind with maybe brass strips giving a slot to run the saw blade along Blink
It certainly looks the part though. Some use plain tiles because they say you wouldn't see the nails at that scale which may well be true, but I like to go with the 'if its there in full size - stick it in!!'BigGrin

Well done, only a few thousand more to go!Flapper

Robin

Thats what i keep telling the wife RobinBigGrin , anyway back to the ship, i tried glueing a piece of wood along the top of the two strips with a 1mm overhang but they kept popping off under a bit of pressure, but the brass with the slot sounds like it could work really well, thats given me an idea, a couple of bits of ally angle back to back with a strip of wood in the middle could replace Denter Dave, i've got some of that knocking around i might give that a go over the weekend
thanks Robin
Paul
stevie_o
#48 Posted : 20 June 2014 11:54:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gibbo
#49 Posted : 20 June 2014 14:24:08

stevie_o wrote:
Nice work on the tiling Paul, that's what I used on my Vic also.Keep it up, following this one all the wayBigGrin

Steve

Thanks Steve, very much appreciatedBigGrin
Paul
Gandale
#50 Posted : 20 June 2014 21:17:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Excellent work with the copper tape Gibbo, great results from a great technique... One I will bear in mind when I come to starting on my Vic.....Drool Drool .. Well done.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#51 Posted : 21 June 2014 00:37:28

Gandale wrote:
Excellent work with the copper tape Gibbo, great results from a great technique... One I will bear in mind when I come to starting on my Vic.....Drool Drool .. Well done.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Thank you Alan, your comments are very much appreciated.
Paul
Gibbo
#52 Posted : 25 June 2014 01:21:58

Evening all, just finished coppering the hull, 30 metres of 6mm wide self adhesive copper tape cut six inches long and turned into approx 2500 riveted tiles, a long job but well worth the effort, when the strips were laid i didn't notice the gaps that had been created until i got it into the natural light so i painted the gaps with metallic copper paint and then very carefully wiped off any excess paint, next time i'll be painting the hull first.
FC1.JPG
FC2.JPG
FC4.JPG
FC6.JPG
FC7.JPG
arpurchase
#53 Posted : 25 June 2014 07:42:36

BigGrin Very nice work GibboCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#54 Posted : 26 June 2014 23:10:12

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Copper tiling looks really good Gibbo, think you have done a fab job....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#55 Posted : 27 June 2014 01:42:43

Thanks guys, just in the process of giving it a couple of coats of satin varnish to stop any strip ends kicking up and giving it a good seal, tested a piece and it seems to work really well.
Gibbo
#56 Posted : 29 June 2014 02:51:29

When i started this build around ten years ago i had the ribs together and the decks planked and stained with a very light stain, i cant remember which, but after sitting on a window sill for that amount of time the stain had obviously faded and lightened so i decided at this point to re-stain it, after doing a test piece i decided to go with a medium oak which went very dark and i hated itCursing so i set about the task of sanding it all back to natural wood so we went from this to this ( pic 5 & 6 )BigGrin from this i have given it a coat of Danish Oil which has really brought out the grain of the wood and the stain is still inbetween the planks so it looks like it's been caulked, hope to get some pics up on Monday after two or three coats of oil.
Deck Stain 1.JPG
Deck stain 2.JPG
Deck stain 3.JPG
Deck stain 4.JPG
Deck stain 5.JPG
Deck stain 6.JPG
Gibbo
#57 Posted : 30 June 2014 21:58:26

3 coats of Danish Oil later and i'm a happy builder again, more lessons learned, so it aint all bad.
DSCN0247.JPG
DSCN0248.JPG
DSCN0249.JPG
DSCN0250.JPG
DSCN0251.JPG
stevie_o
#58 Posted : 30 June 2014 22:04:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gibbo
#59 Posted : 01 July 2014 00:46:32

stevie_o wrote:
Looking good GibboBigGrin

Steve

Thanks Steve
Martyn Ingram
#60 Posted : 01 July 2014 12:18:54

BigGrin Looks like new Gibbo Bril work rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe