Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages «<34567>»
Gibbo's DelPrado Victory Build Options
Gibbo
#81 Posted : 07 July 2014 20:25:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

sparks wrote:
Blimey Gibbo, that brings back some frightening memories Blink
Glad to see you are going for the improvements on your Victory, the gratings look great, be aware though that there are a couple of divisions in the forecastle gratings.
Well done again, nice to see another Del Prado in the mix.
Regards
Alan

Hi Alan
Thanks for pointing that out to me, just had a look at your build and i can see what you mean, i might try putting some thin strips of card over to see how that would work, if not, they should pop out ok to re-do them, they do look good with the divisions, between yours and Robins build of this model it has given me a lot of inspiration on what's possible.
Thanks
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Plymouth57
#82 Posted : 07 July 2014 20:44:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Doing really well on those gratings Paul! You've gone even further than I did, I just painted the decking underneath the wooden replacements matt black!Blushing

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
sparks
#83 Posted : 07 July 2014 21:23:22

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Gibbo wrote:
sparks wrote:
Glad to see you are going for the improvements on your Victory, the gratings look great, be aware though that there are a couple of divisions in the forecastle gratings.
Regards
Alan

Hi Alan
Thanks for pointing that out to me, just had a look at your build and i can see what you mean, i might try putting some thin strips of card over to see how that would work, if not, they should pop out ok to re-do them, they do look good with the divisions, between yours and Robins build of this model it has given me a lot of inspiration on what's possible.
Thanks
Paul

No problem Paul

Here's a plan view that might help

Notice how they are not quite equally divided.
Regards
Alan

England expects that every man will do his duty.
Gibbo
#84 Posted : 07 July 2014 21:56:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Plymouth57 wrote:
Doing really well on those gratings Paul! You've gone even further than I did, I just painted the decking underneath the wooden replacements matt black!Blushing

Robin

Hi Robin
The gratings are 5mm deep and i wanted them to sit flush with the frames so it was a matter of cutting open the deck, and i thought the opening was a bit narrow so i made them slightly squarer. a 15mm bloke would have kept smacking his head on it.
Gibbo
#85 Posted : 07 July 2014 21:58:52

sparks wrote:
Gibbo wrote:
sparks wrote:
Regards
Alan

Hi Alan
Thanks
Paul

No problem Paul

Here's a plan view that might help

Notice how they are not quite equally divided.
Regards
Alan

Thats great, thanks for that Alan.
Gibbo
#86 Posted : 10 July 2014 01:30:38

Update on the gratings
Gibbo attached the following image(s):
Grating Update.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#87 Posted : 10 July 2014 10:04:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good Gibbo lovely job ThumpUp Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gibbo
#88 Posted : 10 July 2014 11:37:25

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Looking good Gibbo lovely job ThumpUp Rgd Martyn

Thank you Martyn, managed to get them out ok but they are very fragile so i had to remake some of them, the two by the main mast were easy enough, i managed to bend inbetween the grating and paint a very small strip and glue it in, if only i thought of that before i did the others, ah well lesson learned.
Gibbo
#89 Posted : 25 July 2014 00:48:02

Recently i've been working on the skid beams and the rudder, i ordered some columns from CMB which were 2mm short so i packed underneath them with 1.5mm thick squares, with a layer of paint they sit on the lower deck very nicely, with the rudder i cut a groove to take the spindle and gave it a coat of varnish then covered it with the copper tape method used to do the hull, cutting, shaping, painting and sticking it to the hull with the thin metal strips was a very fiddly job, i busted a few of them on the way.
DSCN0352.JPG
DSCN0354.JPG
Rudder 1.JPG
Rudder 2.JPG
Gibbo
#90 Posted : 26 July 2014 00:45:09

This time around i've been working on the lower gun deck openings, painted the cannonball housings and glued them in place,then turned my attention to the railings, i used the original posts supplied with the kit and some thick black thread
Cannonballs 1.JPG
DSCN0416.JPG
DSCN0417.JPG
DSCN0410.JPG
Gibbo
#91 Posted : 26 July 2014 00:57:36

The Skid Beam positions have been marked out and the ladders painted, i haven't fixed them into position yet i'm trying to find some crew members to put in there, the only ones i can find are 15mm British Seamen from Minifigs, but there are no pictures and seems like there is no way of contacting them, has anyone out there used them before or has any pictures of these items ?
DSCN0407.JPG
Gandale
#92 Posted : 26 July 2014 13:20:18

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Gibbo, nice to see your build progressing.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#93 Posted : 26 July 2014 13:56:35

Gandale wrote:
Looking good Gibbo, nice to see your build progressing.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Thank you Alan, your comments and opinion are always very much appreciatedCool
sparks
#94 Posted : 26 July 2014 19:58:05

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Gibbo wrote:
The Skid Beam positions have been marked out and the ladders painted, i haven't fixed them into position yet i'm trying to find some crew members to put in there, the only ones i can find are 15mm British Seamen from Minifigs, but there are no pictures and seems like there is no way of contacting them, has anyone out there used them before or has any pictures of these items ?

Hi Paul,
Nice work on the gratings, skids, rudder and rails ThumpUp
Re: The Minifigs, that's what I've used in the waist area, see page 2
post #38 of my build log for some pics.
There are some issues with these as Minifigs were bought out or something but they are still produced if you keep searching. Any problems PM me and I'll try to dig out some info.
Regards
Alan
England expects that every man will do his duty.
arpurchase
#95 Posted : 26 July 2014 21:15:05

BigGrin Hi Gibbo
Try here for figurines

http://www.miniaturefigu...1&SubCategoryID=169

Hope its of help

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gibbo
#96 Posted : 29 July 2014 12:21:18

Thanks guys, all the minifigs i could find turned out to be Lego, i found a 15mm Royal Navy gun crew at warmodellingminiatures.com and a pirate gun crew and british seamen i think from Essex Miniatures, i have ordered both sets so we'll see what turns up, will post up some pics when they arrive, thanks very much for your help
Paul
Gibbo
#97 Posted : 30 July 2014 01:07:59

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Gibbo
Try here for figurines

http://www.miniaturefigu...1&SubCategoryID=169

Hope its of help

Regards

AndyCool

Hi Andy
It was the site you suggested i went onto not Essex Miniatures that i ordered figurines from, thanks for the heads up on that.
Paul
Gibbo
#98 Posted : 08 August 2014 00:05:58

Miniature figurines arrived the other day from www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/, cannon and 15mm crew, which makes them about 5'-6", i also ordered some pirates just for fun.
DSCN0439.JPG
DSCN0431.JPG
DSCN0461.JPG
DSCN0462.JPG
Gibbo
#99 Posted : 08 August 2014 00:23:55

In the meantime i have been lining the gun ports, started by cutting a 5mm strip of red painted Sapele veneer lengthways, then cutting them to approx 8mm lengths with angles on the one side, needed around 300 of these, 8mm X 300 (3 for each gun port)= 2.4m, is it a long job ? (yes), is it a boring job ? (not to begin with), am i still at it (yes) halfway through the Port side,a little touch up with paint here and there and Happy Days.
DSCN0471.JPG
DSCN0465.JPG
Gibbo
#100 Posted : 08 August 2014 00:46:03

POTC.jpg