Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Sandmans SotS Build Options
Sandman
#1 Posted : 14 June 2014 09:08:41

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello everyone, after much deliberation I have decided to take the plunge and start a build log. Unfortunately I do not have pictures of the build from the start but will post some of the pictures that I took up until now.

This is the first time that I do any type of scale model. I must say that I am very impressed by the guidance that the magazine gives with regards to the build. I have also done a lot of reading and snooping around on everyone's build log. There are some very impressive models on this site.

At the moment, I am busy with the secondary planking and have about three quarters of the hull covered. Progress is very slow as I am quite busy at work, but I plan to finish the planking this weekend.

If you have comments or queries about my build please do not hesitate to share. I am still a beginner and would appreciate all the advice that I can get.

Cheers
Hendrik

Tomick
#2 Posted : 14 June 2014 09:13:03

Groups:

Well done Hendrik, and congrat's on your first medal Cool
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 14 June 2014 09:18:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Hendrik, BigGrin

Looking good Cool Cool

Congrats on first medal and would guess many more to come.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#4 Posted : 14 June 2014 09:21:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Hendrik, great to see another SOTS build on the go and looks like you are doing a grand job.... Look forward to following your progress,,Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Sandman
#5 Posted : 14 June 2014 09:59:12

Thanks a lot for all the comments and for looking in.
stevie_o
#6 Posted : 14 June 2014 11:26:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sandman
#7 Posted : 21 June 2014 10:54:09

So I have finally finished the secondary planking. It has been a rather slow process but enjoyable none the less.

I am quite pleased with the outcome so far. Will start sanding and finishing the hull today so that I can paint it.

In order to break the monotony of planking I have started the beak platform as well

Regards
Hendrik

arpurchase
#8 Posted : 21 June 2014 11:10:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Hendrik

Very nice work on the planking

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#9 Posted : 21 June 2014 22:30:21

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work Hendrik, planking looks great.... very well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Sandman
#10 Posted : 26 July 2014 16:35:41

Today I made some progress after not being able to work on the SotS for quite a while.

I painted the ship as per the instructions. The only locally available paint that I could find is the Tamiya range. I used a flat white and tinted it a little with some XF-55 for the lower hull. The outcome is a very light off-white and exactly what I was going for.

For the red and black stripes I used the Flat red and flat black colors. (XF1 & XF7)

Next I started fixing the gunwales. I struggled to get the gunwales to stick properly and eventually cleaned off the paint underneath them. This helped a lot.

The pieces of the wales that go around the bow were soaked in boiling water and formed around a cup. In order to hold them in place I pinned them with some of the brass pins used during planking. I will then just fill the holes left by the pins with wood filler during touch up. When these are finished I will add photos of the process.

Regards
Hendrik

Gandale
#11 Posted : 26 July 2014 16:58:34

Hi Hendrik, some really nice neat work done there... very well done... Cool Cool .. Look forward to following your progress.. Cool

Regards

Alan
riff-raff
#12 Posted : 27 July 2014 15:36:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nicely done !!!
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Built:
Golden Star, English Brig. RMS Titanic. (Academy 1/400 Centenary Anniversary Edition) Revell-Monogram 1/48 B-29 Superfortress 1:8 Baron von Richthofen's Fokker Tri-plane. HMS Victory. Nelsons Flag Ship. Sultan Arab Dhow. Artesania Latina Carmen II. The Battleship Yamato. Model Airways Wright Flyer 1:16 Scale. Trumpeter Bismarck 1/200. HMS Sovereign of the Seas. The Black Pearl.

Building:HMS Surprisel. Hatchette U96. Soleil Royal.
birdaj2
#13 Posted : 27 July 2014 16:06:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hendrik

A very nice finish to your paint work. Your going to end up with a really beautiful model when it's all complete.

Happy modelling

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Martyn Ingram
#14 Posted : 27 July 2014 22:21:28

BigGrin Nice work there Hendrik lovely paint work Cool Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Sandman
#15 Posted : 31 October 2014 17:15:39

Hello everyone, after taking an extended break from the girl, I decided it is about time that I started working on the Sovereign again.

First things first, there was a small inaccuracy when I test fit the quarterdeck. I posted a question regarding this in the build discussions and thanks to the expert help, I could work out how to fix it.

Here is the link to the post regarding the problem if you are interested.
http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=12110

The problem was that the bulwark did not fully extend to where the rebate in the quarterdeck is. You can clearly see the problem in the photo below.

What I decided to do is fill the bulwark to where it is suppose to be with some scrap bamboo. I glued a short piece of bamboo to the existing hull, making sure the back of the bamboo was flush with the existing. I used a piece of scrap sapele to achieve this. Below is a photo of this step.

Afterwards I glued sapele strips to the new bamboo and sanded it flush. Afterwards everything was painted black. I am quite happy with how it turned out. The joint between the old and the new is barely visible.

Gandale
#16 Posted : 31 October 2014 23:26:38

Looking good Hendrik, looking gooooood....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
karl1113
#17 Posted : 01 November 2014 00:31:54

coming on a real treat, well done.Cool BigGrin
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Sandman
#18 Posted : 01 November 2014 06:58:24

Thanks for looking in and the encouragement!

Next I tackled the gunwales. I decided it would be easier to fit them first and then paint them afterwards. To get the curve in the first part I soaked the strip in boiling water for a while and clamped it around a bottle. This is how they turned out.

To fix them to the hull, I pinned them in place. Before I glued them, I took off the paint underneath the wales in order for them to stick better.

This is how it turned out after I patched them up and painted them.

Next, I did the gun port linings. It took quite a while and by the end I was really fed up with the tedious work. But I am happy with the end result. I pretty much followed the magazine instructions on how to do it. Here is what the ship looks like.

I plan to patch up the paintwork, but for the most of it, I am finished with issue 41.

Regards
Hendrik
Gandale
#19 Posted : 01 November 2014 09:55:11

Hi Hendrik, the port linings are just one of a number of tedious jobs you have to do on building ships like this but keep at it, think you are doing a great job, she really is looking great....Cool Cool .. Look forward to seeing more of your work....

Regards

Alan
Sandman
#20 Posted : 16 November 2014 05:15:42

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement.

This past week I managed to spend a few moments on the girl again. I was busy putting on the side panel galleries. Not a very difficult job, but just tricky to get the clamps on. In the end end, I got it to work.