Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

That's cool
Chasecar
AndreZS1AZ
#42 Posted : 27 May 2016 10:27:35

What can I say, it's Friday and I am looking forward to the weekend. I received the replacement servo and radio this week. I will test them and then re-assemble the car. That should see me doing the break in of the motor this weekend if it does not rain. I am running on my own fuel which is 20% nitro and 18% castor oil. After the fuel is finished I will have to use commercial fuel until I can get some nitro as I have run out. Enjoy the build.
Cheers
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop

Building: Bismark, 2.5m wingspan glider
AndreZS1AZ
#43 Posted : 22 August 2016 18:58:18

Received issues 96, 97, 98 and 98. Yes, you read correctly, 2 issue 98 and NO 95. I was promised that it will come within 2 weeks, but no problem. I have decided to do the engine break in as the car is and then strip it down to fit the 2 speed gearbox and try tighten up all the play on the suspension. I am going to take some photos and post them with comments. Your comments are welcome.

AndreZS1AZ
#44 Posted : 29 January 2017 17:28:35

Here's wishing you all for 2017. Received my last wheel last week and now I can try and finish the build.

AndreZS1AZ
#45 Posted : 21 June 2018 17:01:32

Hi Tomick, do hope that all is well that side. What a time I have had since last posting, been travelling and no time for hobbies, which was a bit of a pity. Right, let's discuss the RB7. There is so much slop/play on the the various suspension and steering parts. That is one of the reasons that I stopped building. I purchased a Hobby King buggy with better tolerances than the RB7. Well, it is back on the table and will be stripped down to Part 1 and I will rebuild and modify as I go along. The 2 speed clutch will also be fitted to give some more speed. Is there anyone willing to go along?

arpurchase
#46 Posted : 22 June 2018 07:07:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome back and have fun with itCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

AndreZS1AZ
#47 Posted : 28 June 2018 17:32:56

OK folks, I am back with the RB7 build. It might be a bit late as I have been away doing other stuff. I think that everyone has already finished the build. I have all the issues up to 115 and will be building out of sequence as the mood takes me. I will have to strip my car down to sort out the sloppy issues and see how it goes. I did not finish the car because of the fore mentioned issues. I ran the motor and the car for a brief period and it runs well. Are there still people building the RB7? Pictures will follow.

AndreZS1AZ
#48 Posted : 30 June 2018 12:19:15

Greetings all, from a cold Swellendam, but it is winter here in South Africa. As I mentioned on a previous post, I am now building out of sequence because I do have all the parts.
I, myself, do not agree with the way we are told to glue the tyres onto the rims. Super glue is a different beast, batch to batch. This is how I did it.
Roughen the rims as per instruction. Fit the tyre and check that the bead is the same all around the wheel. Pull the tyre away from the rim and then put in the super glue as shown.
AndreZS1AZ attached the following image(s):
P1040741.JPG

AndreZS1AZ
#49 Posted : 30 June 2018 12:22:50

P1040742.JPG
P1040743.JPG

AndreZS1AZ
#50 Posted : 30 June 2018 12:33:22

Hmm, actually a quick thought, not that I am capable of thinking after all the nitro flowing through me. Is anybody still building the RB7?
P1040743.JPG

AndreZS1AZ
#51 Posted : 08 July 2018 18:08:58

All the tyres are have been glued and they seem to be true. We will take that with a pinch of salt until I run the car again. I am stripping the car down to the basics and will be rebuilding it. I have no problem with the display parts, it is the running parts that give me the stressCrying Did I see that the car now comes as a complete kit. or was I dreaming?

AndreZS1AZ
#52 Posted : 10 July 2018 17:20:17

Went to the local off-sales (bottle store/booze outlet) and got some cardboard beer trays. No, they were not full which is a pity. I will be putting all the parts into them when I pull the car apart. I must take a picture of the amount of play on the RH rear wheel before I strip it down. This seems to be the most. The glue that I used to glue the tyres is very thin and it wicks around the rim very nicely. I leave them overnight and check the next day that they are firmly glued on.
All comments are welcome.

AndreZS1AZ
#53 Posted : 18 July 2018 17:39:21

Ok, been busy with some other stuff, almost finished stripping down to the bare bones. It has just been cold here and inside the Wendy house it feels even colder. Start shivering and then give it all up and go inside the house. I do not have a heater, so when it gets too cold I chicken out. Will post pictures soon.

AndreZS1AZ
#54 Posted : 01 August 2018 16:16:27

Stripped the car down to the chassis. Now for the rebuild.

AndreZS1AZ
#55 Posted : 02 August 2018 17:43:50

A bit chilly this evening, but it is still winter here in South Africa. I have put the front steering parts back together. I sorted out the slop on the front end when I did the previous build. I will post pictures when I get to the rear end. Going through the magazines to check the correct screw lengths, there is one thing that gets my back up. You build a section then they tell you to take it apart again to add some other parts. I know what is coming with the rebuild so I am forewarned. Could the parts not come in a different order to avoid this? Just asking.

AndreZS1AZ
#56 Posted : 03 August 2018 16:49:04

Hmm, it seems that I am talking to myself. Everyone has done the build and then I come along. The major play on my car is at the rear ball joints and swing arms. I should have taken pictures with a gauge to show the amount of play, but as they say, hindsight is 20/20 vision. Bearings too loose in the wheels and so on. My car was built on a Monday or a Friday. I am going away for the weekend and will show how I fixed the play problem when I get back
P1040754.JPG

Chasecar
#57 Posted : 11 August 2018 22:48:25

Hi AndreZS1AZ,

I'm in the same position as you in that I haven't completed my build. We've has a lot of family stuff to deal with and unfortunately somethings had to go on the back burner, the RB7 build being one of them.

I did a similar build in that it was out of sequence, I really didn't want to assemble parts of it and pull it apart for the next stage. As well I wanted to build it to a rolling chassis before starting on any body work.

Them I missed all the problems with Photo Bucket and lost all my diary entries, which was another set back. Anyway I'm going to try and redo the diary and see if I can get back onto the build.

I'n interested to see how you go about the rebuild to remove the play.
Chasecar
AndreZS1AZ
#58 Posted : 30 August 2018 17:04:54

Hi Chasecar,
It seems that we have the same ideas. I have been down to our place on the Breede river and then got ready for International Lighthouse/Lightship weekend so not much done on the car. Had a bit of a cold this week. Ok, what I did with all the balls on the suspension arms was give them a thin layer of glue. The glue that I use is harder than the suspension arms and a bit softer than the balls/knuckles. Once assembled, I will spray them with a teflon spray which is quite hard wearing. I do not mind redoing the glue after a few races, at least there is no slop.
P1040804.JPG

arpurchase
#59 Posted : 31 August 2018 07:18:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good and nice ideaCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

AndreZS1AZ
#60 Posted : 01 September 2018 14:56:05

Hi guys, it's a weekend and the weather is fine. 20°c in the radio shack. Right the last suspension balls have been done and assembled. It is a thin coat of Alcolin Ultra and that works. I do not use it on balsa wood because it is too hard. I seem to have run out of Teflon spray but I am using this stuff. I use it on my buggy axle joints and it seems to work well. Now on to the diff. I will be using Huddy diff oil once it is taken apart and cleaned. Have a great weekend
P1040806.JPG