Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Hummer Paint colour Options
russell2
#1 Posted : 26 June 2014 20:04:20

Groups: Registered

Hi,
Being new to military type model building and painting can someone advise me on the colour scheme of the Hummer if it was to be in desert colours. Would it be one colour or random pattern and i presume matt finish, and would I be better to spray gloss and then overspray with a matt clear varnish or just spray with a matt paint. I see from previous postings that Tamiya TS would be the type to use, and that it is sprayed wet on wet. What would be effect if the layers were allowed to dry between each coat.
I am sorry for so many questions but this is completely new to me and do not want to spoil a beautiful model by bad painting.
Warthog
#2 Posted : 26 June 2014 20:27:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Hi Russell

Most US Army Humvee's where in Matt Desert sand colour so it's just a case of matching the best colour that suits.. If you google US Humvee you will find plenty of images and examples. If you want it to look like it's done a few rounds rather than it looking like it's just come out of the factory then some nice scratches and dents wouldn't look out of place either. Remember though that the Humvee your building is the civilian version and not the Army version as you will see in the pictures on Google.

With regards to applying tamiya spray paints, it's always best to apply another coat before the first coat dries completely thus the "wet on wet" to get the best results.
Regards

Spencer
kenjara
#3 Posted : 27 June 2014 14:02:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I recommend Humbrol 237 Desert Tan Spray if you want the colour of modern ISAF desert vehicles.

You only need to spray wet on wet if you don't want to give the paint time to cure. You don't need to worry about this at all with humbrol paints from my experience.

I was thinking of painting mine army colours but eventually chose yellow gloss. My idea was to spray it desert tan, with black and have a tarpaulin orange square on the bonnet to show up as an allied vehicle to air support. I was also going to paint the NATO vehicle markings on the side.

I usually spray humbrol gloss on my models followed by matt (if military) to finish them.

Oh and make sure you spray the body with primer before painting. I usually use Tamiya grey primer.

Hope this helps.
Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
jase
#4 Posted : 27 June 2014 18:39:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I am Planning bubble gum pink - just putting that out there BigGrin
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Warthog
#5 Posted : 27 June 2014 19:11:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

jase wrote:

Well it is your favourite colour! LOL

Spencer
jase
#6 Posted : 27 June 2014 20:18:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Warthog wrote:
jase wrote:

Spencer

Now then thats how rummers start LOL LOL LOL
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
kingkozy
#7 Posted : 05 July 2014 20:40:11

Hi All,

Anybody have an idea whether the factory spray touch up paint will work on the polystyrene body. I'd love to use the exact color of my Hummer. I bought a can and will test soon, but wanted to know if anybody has tested.

Gina
Tomick
#8 Posted : 05 July 2014 20:50:55

Groups:

Nice idea.

Unsure if anyone has tried this, but with the right primer it might be okay. You could possibly test on a not so visible area on the inside, such as on the underside of one of the roof panels.
kingkozy
#9 Posted : 05 July 2014 21:04:32

Hi Mr. T,

Underside of the rear roof is a good idea. I'm not sure what kind of paint it is, $36 a can. Maybe I'll I see if I can find some polystyrene panels to test primer/paint combinations...

Have a good evening.

Gina
Tomick
#10 Posted : 05 July 2014 21:18:12

Groups:

Let us know how you get on and have a good afternoon.
Supaheli
#11 Posted : 06 July 2014 00:43:41

jase wrote:
Warthog wrote:
jase wrote:

Spencer

Now then thats how rummers start LOL LOL LOL
wasnt it hot pink
Supaheli