Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Heller 1/125 Airbus A380 Build Options
Warthog
#1 Posted : 04 July 2014 21:24:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Hi Folks BigGrin

One of my favourite Civil aircraft of late has to be the enormous Airbus A380 after seeing it in action at the Farnborough Airshow about 4 years ago if my memory serves me right..

So having looked around I noticed that Revell did a 1/144 scale kit and although its big, I wanted bigger. So after looking on Ebay I got myself the Heller 1/125 beauty, paid my monies and awaited delivery.

A few days later a nice big box turns up and I quickly unpacked it to inspect the contents... So far so good and the lines and detail are good and minimal flash to worry about. Yoy will notice that the kit is made up of sub-sections due to the size of the fuselage and was to be expected but I did'nt expect some of the problems that awaited me in getting a good fit! Well in for a penny in for a pound as they say.

I started off with the nose section and worked my way to the tail and as you can see by the photo's I have my work cut out for me!

Warthog attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
stevie_o
#2 Posted : 04 July 2014 21:41:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Warthog
#3 Posted : 04 July 2014 21:49:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just the Prototype ones in the box and even they are not accurate. There's not a lot floating about Steve due to it's unusual scale, I have got hold of the 1/144 British Airways set and will look at either making my own by resizing or attempt airbrushing the tail livery.

I didn't want to use the only ones available as wanted something different and as yet I've not seen any 1/125 A380's in BA guise.

Spencer
stevie_o
#4 Posted : 04 July 2014 22:18:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I like the emirates livery, we live on a main flight path for the US - middle east flights, and although they are at full altitude I always know where they are from and where they are going with the help of Flight Radar - http://www.flightradar24.com/51.57,-2.81/11 and a good pair of Bino's Laugh

Steve
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 05 July 2014 08:56:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looks a beast , but iv sussed out your devilish plan to use to to go on holiday later in the yearBlink LOL BigGrin Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Supaheli
#6 Posted : 05 July 2014 09:00:53

Best plane ever!
Supaheli
Warthog
#7 Posted : 07 July 2014 20:19:52

This latest update tackles more horrible joins of the fuselage sections as you can see by the first 2 photos. Once they where all put together using EMA MEK some slight tweeking of the sections was done to get the best possible fit and only then was putty filla added to the areas ready for sanding and blending the fuselage. Once this was complete it was given a coat of Halfords grey primer and allowed to dry for at least 24hrs before some more filla in areas that where highlighted by the primer.. more to come soon including the four mighty engines and the the wings and some re-scribing of the panel lines that where removed during the sanding process..

10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
stevie_o
#8 Posted : 08 July 2014 00:21:13

Like it Spence, nice and smooth. I take it your not going to be super detailing the interior then, seating, overhead lockers, passengers, cabin crew, working toilets....etc, etcLaugh Laugh LOL Laugh

Steve
birdaj2
#9 Posted : 08 July 2014 17:17:28

Hi Spence

That likes like a very nice model.

Tend not to see much of Heller these days. Seem to recall at one point they were tied in with humbrol.

I love to see civil aircraft builds because they appear so deceptively easy to finish but getting that smooth even white finish takes some real skill.

Following with great interest.

Regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Warthog
#10 Posted : 08 July 2014 18:30:01

Thanks for looking in guys BigGrin

@Steve... Noooo not on this one.. Not enough time in the day lol

@Tony... My first civil airliner or any civil aircraft come to think of it so hope I do it justice Tony BigGrin it is fun though and nothing like a nice long smooth fuselage Blink

I forgot to mention... There are no clear window parts with the kitConfused apart from the cockpit one and that's terrible!

Spencer
stevie_o
#11 Posted : 08 July 2014 19:06:01

Warthog
#12 Posted : 08 July 2014 20:00:30

It's the only stuff I use Steve for this type of thing and considering I've recommended it to other members it would be silly of me not to use it BigGrin

Spencer
Supaheli
#13 Posted : 09 July 2014 00:10:04

Looks like your going to need some putty on that warthog (2 set of pics first picture) up the top it looks like a flat spot
Supaheli
Warthog
#14 Posted : 09 July 2014 23:49:37

Supaheli wrote:
Looks like your going to need some putty on that warthog (2 set of pics first picture) up the top it looks like a flat spot

A few tubes of the stuff Heli Crying

Spencer
Warthog
#15 Posted : 09 July 2014 23:52:45

Another day and another update.. more filling and sanding was required to the fuselage and after another coat of primer it was time to start rescibing the panel lines. Onto the wings and once again some major sanding and filling of joins etc as everything was either too high or to low at the joins. The four main engines where assembled and given a coat of white primer ready for more sanding and filling..

18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
Supaheli
#16 Posted : 10 July 2014 01:14:04

A model should not need this much putty...I think heller need to redesign there molds not to mention to fix up the gaps
Supaheli
Warthog
#17 Posted : 10 July 2014 09:49:14

Supaheli wrote:
A model should not need this much putty...I think heller need to redesign there molds not to mention to fix up the gaps

Totally agree with you Heli! I'm not sure what the rest of there kit range is like for gaps and misaligned parts but it's certainly a challenge building it BigGrin

Regards

Spencer
Warthog
#18 Posted : 16 July 2014 21:27:53

Some more work done on the fuselage with the addition of fitting some of the doors.... once again plenty more filling to do around that area as you can see and some more priming to get rid of any further imperfections.
The exhaust nozzles have had a coat of Alcad Manifold and stainless steel and the wings assembled and then any bad joins once again filed out and filled ready for rescribing etc..

26.jpg
27.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg
31.jpg
davetwin
#19 Posted : 16 July 2014 21:47:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good ThumpUp

Have you changed the way you post as the last week or so I have had to hit quote to see what you have written as there was no text showing.

I have just noticed now that on the bottom left of your posts there is a 'show/hide post' button which when pressed reveals your post. If I refresh or go away then come back to the forum I have to press it again Confused
Warthog
#20 Posted : 16 July 2014 22:12:11

Hi Dave BigGrin Nope not done anything different so not sure why you can't see the text on the build. Can you see it as a guest I'e not logged in?

Spencer