Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
flying tank Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 08 July 2014 21:20:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

In early 1942 the British were made aware (by the Master spy Leopold Tepper) that the Russians were developing a flying tank. The A-40 Krylya. This information was was passed on to the MOD who hastily commissioned the design our own flying tank.
It was decided this tank should be able to take off and land under its own power and not,as a glider towed by another plane, just increasing the target size and not as useful.
The top designer, a young handsome genius by the name of K.P. Nuts was called in to do the job, his first request was to find the lightest, strongest materials available, it was discovered the MOD owned a patent on a product called Carbon fiber, invented by W. Watt, L.N. Phillips and W. J. Johnson.
The Grant M3 was the tank chosen to be used on the project. The turret and mantle would be made of carbon fiber and the middle set of wheels would be removed and carbon fiber skids added to replace them, reducing the weight from 30 US short tons to 19 US short tons.

I realise I've been a bit inventive with history carbon fiber was not invented till 1963 (at least as we know it today, they did have it in 1939 but was not useable for this type of thing)
I will be building the tank as normal to start with, to get the experience with washes and stuff, my first attempt was not very good.

as you can see very crude and no washes, but I hope to improve.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
kpnuts
#2 Posted : 10 July 2014 20:48:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well have started the Grant. please let me know about the weathering, (is it any good)its all watercolour so it will all come off if no good, also i have bought some filters how do I use those, it says nothing on the bottle.

Warthog
#3 Posted : 10 July 2014 20:49:32

Groups: registriert, Registered

Looking great KP! Look forward to seeing more Cool

Spencer
stevie_o
#4 Posted : 10 July 2014 21:42:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

kpnuts
#5 Posted : 10 July 2014 21:47:07

It is the exact same kit, apparently the suspension is all wrong but I'm no tank expert and anyway it won't look like a grant m3 by the time I've finished with it.
kpnuts
#6 Posted : 12 July 2014 08:58:03

here is tonights update

kpnuts
#7 Posted : 12 July 2014 20:53:20

here is tonights update, I've tried an experiment and used pastels and water I think it looks quite good, but feel free to disagree, I want to improve.

kpnuts
#8 Posted : 15 July 2014 18:49:18

Hi all just got our Internet and phone back.
Anyway back to the model, not for novice tank builders(the parts fit perfectly, it's the instructions)the instructions are very vague and confusing. I built their tiger type I tank as my first and the instructions were great but these are not 3 times I have had to unglue things as they have been in the wrong place and there is a round adjuster handle and gearing which goes in the lower gun turret that I am going to just have to guess where it goes as where the arrow points there is no obvious place to attatch it,shame as all the parts (when in the right place( or not the right place even) fit perfectly, in fact it is the best fitting kit I have built in a long time.
kpnuts
#9 Posted : 15 July 2014 21:25:41

hi all here is the latest progress.

Gandale
#10 Posted : 15 July 2014 23:32:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good, some really nice weathering effects there.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
stevie_o
#11 Posted : 15 July 2014 23:39:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

kpnuts
#12 Posted : 16 July 2014 22:01:03

And here is tonights tank progress.

Warthog
#13 Posted : 16 July 2014 22:20:57

Looking great KP! Very nice weathering you've done there Drool

Spencer
kpnuts
#14 Posted : 17 July 2014 22:12:18

well the tank is done

now all I have to do is make it fly.

The way I visualize this is another smaller wing above this one with a massive jet engine in it also a cockpit either in the smaller wing or the one you see here as i dont believe you could pilot it from within the tank, also I think it would be impossible to make all the cable controls detattchable with the wing then reattatch them when the tank was finished its job.also some big fuel tanks hung beneath the big wing or between the big and smaller wing.
Warthog
#15 Posted : 17 July 2014 23:35:22

That is looking pretty dam cool KP BigGrin can't wait to see the outcome with this.. Some fine work and imagination you have there Cool

Spencer
kpnuts
#16 Posted : 18 July 2014 08:04:14

Thanks spencer, won't be anything done this weekend its my father in laws 80th birthday this weekend so leaving early tomorrow morning driving up to Scotland then back home late sunday, not looking forward to the 7hour drive (and that's with no holdups.
Tomick
#17 Posted : 18 July 2014 09:27:59

Groups:

An interesting twist KP, well done Cool
arpurchase
#18 Posted : 18 July 2014 11:08:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Certainly different and interestingCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Spal
#19 Posted : 18 July 2014 11:17:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Not seen a tank like that before, nice one Cool

Al
stevie_o
#20 Posted : 18 July 2014 11:56:27