Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tamiya 1/16 Zero Pilot Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 18 July 2014 17:01:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin BigGrin

Have started this little kit, as my flat and therefore, my life is in turmoil at the moment.

Got new windows/doors and central heating all appearing in the very near future.(Not my planning).

Am having to sort my man cave and shift many large fish tanks to accommodate the renovations, hence I`m building this Diddy kit as I can put it down at a moments notice.

So here we go.

Some parts painted/semi painted on the sprue`s and some parts assembled to aid painting.

The kit:Pic 1

Parts painted on the sprue`s:Pic 2-5

SOME MORE WORK TO DO ON THE EYES !!

The only clear parts are the base plinth and the pilot`s goggles (circled)Pic 6

THE DECALS:Pic 7

PART ASSEMBLED:

Body/legs
ONLY 7 PARTS,

Collar 1
Body and legs 2
Boots 2x2 parts Pic 8

Head
ONLY 2 PARTS
Front Forehead down to neck
Back Head in flying helmet Pic 9

and this is where I`m at at the moment BigGrinPic 10

So next,

Get car`s first MOT in the morning, then off to Nottingham to get the rest of the paints I need.

Question:

Best Finish

Matt or Gloss ?

Having never done something like this , my guess is matt, but I`m open to suggestions.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
Zero 001.jpg
Zero 005.jpg
Zero 004.jpg
Zero 003.jpg
Zero 002.jpg
Zero 007.jpg
Zero 006.jpg
Zero 008.jpg
Zero 009.jpg
Zero 010.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Spal
#2 Posted : 18 July 2014 22:09:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Nice work Derek,like the fleshtones.Cool

You could also try a satin finish.

Al
petpole
#3 Posted : 19 July 2014 01:23:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Derek glad to see you back, great work on the painting so far, he's going to look great finished and a satin finish I think would be best.
Keep up the good work.

Peter.
Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 19 July 2014 08:08:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Spal wrote:
Nice work Derek,like the fleshtones.Cool

You could also try a satin finish.

Al

Hi Al, BigGrin

Many thanks for looking in and the kind comments.

The skin tone was achieved using the Brown/Sand colour from the Valejo face painting set, with a Citadel wash called Agrax Earthshade.

For a first attempt at a figurine on this scale, I`m quite pleased with the results so far.

As for the Satin finish, hadn`t even thought of that option, but will be taking it up for sure.

Many Thanks

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#5 Posted : 19 July 2014 08:16:31

petpole wrote:
Hi Derek glad to see you back, great work on the painting so far, he's going to look great finished and a satin finish I think would be best.
Keep up the good work.

Peter.

Hi Peter, BigGrin

Many thanks for your comments and confirmation of the best finish, it`s greatly appreciated. Cool

Hope to be back to the main builds ASAP, when the housing association get their backsides into gear.(I`m not holding my breath on that one)Crying

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Gandale
#6 Posted : 19 July 2014 09:32:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice job Derek, hope you get your flat sorted out quickly and your man cave put back into full production.. Looking forward to following your builds once again...

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 19 July 2014 12:20:40

Gandale wrote:
Nice job Derek, hope you get your flat sorted out quickly and your man cave put back into full production.. Looking forward to following your builds once again...

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, BigGrin

Thanks for looking in and comments.

I`m off work for a couple of days now, so hope to make some headway with sorting things out.

In the meantime, will plod on with some smaller items that can be done in a short period of time and so reduce the frustration.Crying

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

stevie_o
#8 Posted : 19 July 2014 13:38:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

delboy271155
#9 Posted : 19 July 2014 15:19:25

stevie_o wrote:
Very nice so far DelBigGrin Good luck with your flat refurb, I understand your frustration.

Steve

Hi Steve, BigGrin

Thanks for looking in and the comments. Cool

As for the frustration, it wouldn`t be so bad, if only they would pin it down to a certain week, but they can`t manage that yet.Cursing

Will plod on regardless. BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#10 Posted : 20 July 2014 15:24:50

Hi, All BigGrin

Made some progress today and now near the final stages of finishing this little fellow.

Here`s where I`m at:See Pic below

What`s left to do?

Detail the flight gloves to go in his left hand
Fix gloves and sword in his hands
Paint flying goggle edges and fit
Decals
Coat or two of satin varnish.

So next pics should be in the finished model zone.

Only one other thing to sort is the display.

This may be the answer, if I`m right it`s about 6-8mm free head room for the chap, but will be checking with the suppliers before purchase.

Display Dome

Hope you like.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
Zero 011.jpg

Warthog
#11 Posted : 20 July 2014 16:47:01

Groups: registriert, Registered

Looking great Derek BigGrin painting faces for me must be the hardest things to get right, especially the eyes being so small at this scale.. Doing a fab job Cool

Spencer
delboy271155
#12 Posted : 20 July 2014 17:47:29

Warthog wrote:

Looking great Derek BigGrin painting faces for me must be the hardest things to get right, especially the eyes being so small at this scale.. Doing a fab job Cool

Spencer

Hi Spencer, BigGrin

Many thanks for taking a look and your comments. Cool

Yep the eyes are a bit of a "pain" shall we say.

Tried the plain colour, Confused

Then added just pupils. Do look a bit scary, but don`t know how to do it better at the moment.

My excuse is now, "How would your eyes look if you were about to dive into a boat deck".

They have my admiration, I could not do that for anything.

Thanks again,

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#13 Posted : 22 July 2014 16:55:27

Hi All, BigGrin

One final shot for this thread, then a mini photo-shoot will appear on the finished build section.(Close-ups, showing warts and all so to speak)

So here`s my Zero Pilot:See Pic below

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Zero 012.jpg