Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Dogtag Japanese pilot Pearl Harbour Raider 1/16 scale build Options
arpurchase
#1 Posted : 25 July 2014 23:12:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi All
Here starts my build diary of of the Japanese Pilot by Dogtag.
The assembly of the seven resin parts was quite straight forward bit of a gap at the centre section but soon cured with a little filler and putty as was any other small holes and joints that needed attention.
The metal hand holding the gloves has also been added the sake cup hand will be added later when its painted.
A paper strap was made up and added to the helmet it looks a little large in the pics but looks about right on the figure. There will be another strap made of paper to go around the pistol when its fitted aswell as the addition of a rope lanyard.
Finally the figure has been undercoated with 3 coats of Zero white undercoat which will be left for 24 hours to harden before any paint is applied.
Regards
AndyCool
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
P7251065.JPG
P7251074.JPG
P7251080.JPG
P7251090.JPG
P7251093.JPG
P7251095.JPG
P7251099.JPG
P7251103.JPG
P7251104.JPG
P7251105.JPG
P7251107.JPG
P7251109.JPG
P7251111.JPG
P7251112.JPG
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arpurchase
#2 Posted : 26 July 2014 19:02:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi All
Progress continues with the start of painting the figure but before that i decided to cut out some simple stand/bases from 5 mm Walnut with my electric fret saw set at 20 % from the vertical to get a bevel to the sides of the stands. After sanding back the best of the two cut was gloss varnished whilst the other is being used as the painting stand.
I started by coating the entire figure with Tamiya XF 52 Flat Earth as this was a good match for the flying suit, the life jacket was coated with XF 51 Khaki Drab , the straps and ties were finished off with XF 57 Buff, the glove hand was coated with XF 64 Red Brown and XF 4 Yellow Green, for the boots I used X 18 Semi Gloss Black, the sheepskin collar was coated with Revel white and i decided to give the silk neck scarf some colour by coating it with XF 3 Flat yellow.
The head was painted up with White, Red Brown, Flat Aluminum and Semi Gloss Black.
The gun and saki cup hand have still to be added to the figure and after this I can start applying washes and tones to give it some life.
More soon
Regards
AndyCool
P7261114.JPG
P7261115.JPG
P7261118.JPG
P7261119.JPG
P7261121.JPG
P7261123.JPG
P7261125.JPG
P7261126.JPG
P7261127.JPG
P7261128.JPG
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

birdaj2
#3 Posted : 26 July 2014 20:24:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Andy

He's coming on a treat.

Will really set off the zero model very well.

Looking forward to your further updates with this one.

Happy modelling

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 26 July 2014 20:37:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Andy,BigGrin

Great start with the painting bit. Cool

Some interesting, shall we say "differences" between this kit and the Tamiya.

According too the Tamiya info, the labels on:

Life Jacket (Large)
Boots (small)
Gloves (small)

Give the following info:

On bigger labels: Life Jacket

Name, Rank,Battalion (Group)

Small labels:

Boots, gloves.

Just name and rank

Is that the same thing with this kit?

In addition apart from collar colours and maybe a shade difference, looks pretty close between the two kits.

As much as I`m happy with the Tamiya offering, I love these resin options.

They just seem to be that bit sharper in definition.

My future builds include:

Samurai bust and RAF pilot with dog on shoulder. (Resin)
Plus soon to be acquired Tamiya pilot for the "Stuka"

So Andy, keep up the great work. Cool

Update ASAP so we can enjoy your results. BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#5 Posted : 26 July 2014 20:52:33

BigGrin Hi Tony
Thanks for looking in and your comments
Regards
AndyCool

arpurchase
#6 Posted : 26 July 2014 21:08:43

BigGrin Hi Derek

The uniform is more or less the same the sheepskin collars came in several colours as far as im aware but only the one small label on the back of the life jacket on this model. The silk scarf's were generally white but pilot's did change colour's as they wished or lets say there girlfriend/
wife mat have sent it as a lucky keepsake.
There is a reason for only one small label [name/rank] i think during the war period the large label with the name ,rank, battalion,group or aircraft carrier were removed so as not to give away important information to the enemy ,so just the small labels were left with minimal information.
Thanks for looking in and your comments much appreciated as always

Regards

AndyCool

delboy271155
#7 Posted : 26 July 2014 21:25:48

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Derek

The uniform is more or less the same the sheepskin collars came in several colours as far as im aware but only the one small label on the back of the life jacket on this model. The silk scarf's were generally white but pilot's did change colour's as they wished or lets say there girlfriend/
wife mat have sent it as a lucky keepsake.
There is a reason for only one small label [name/rank] i think during the war period the large label with the name ,rank, battalion,group or aircraft carrier were removed so as not to give away important information to the enemy ,so just the small labels were left with minimal information.
Thanks for looking in and your comments much appreciated as always

Regards

AndyCool

Hi Andy, BigGrin

Cheers for the info update.

APPRECIATED Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

kpnuts
#8 Posted : 27 July 2014 09:43:05

Never seen one of these 1/16 figures before,very realistic great work.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
arpurchase
#9 Posted : 27 July 2014 10:19:37

BigGrin Hi KP

These resin figures come in several scales and difficulty and range from fighting cave men to the present day, I like them because of the high detail that can be achieved by the sculptor and the moulding process.
Thanks for looking in and your comments.

Regards

AndyCool

stevie_o
#10 Posted : 27 July 2014 12:24:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase
#11 Posted : 27 July 2014 18:16:51

BigGrin Hi Steve

Thanks for looking in and your comments

Regards

AndyCool

arpurchase
#12 Posted : 27 July 2014 18:37:02

BigGrin Hi All

Well here he is warts and all, I will say im not the best face painter in the world so please be gentle with me.
I used the Vallejo face painting kit for the face which i think turned out not too bad.
On with the build , i managed to get some Saki into his cup using Glue n glaze which dried clear overnight and glued the hand in place. The gun was painted up and a strap made up from paper soaked in superglue fixed in place and painted.
The head after painting was then added to the figure and a burnt umber wash applied to the whole figure, i may have overdone the wash a little but maybe not although you may think he has had an oil bathBlink LOL .
Finally the figure was attached to the walnut base that has had 3 coats of gloss varnish.

Regards

AndyCool
P7271132.JPG
P7271133.JPG
P7271142.JPG
P7271143.JPG
P7271144.JPG
P7271145.JPG
P7271146.JPG
P7271147.JPG

Warthog
#13 Posted : 27 July 2014 18:44:38

Groups: registriert, Registered

Superb stuff Andy BigGrin Credit to your skills mate as Figures are not easy to do but this is turning out very nice indeed Cool

Spencer
arpurchase
#14 Posted : 27 July 2014 18:53:44

BigGrin Hi Spencer

Thanks for looking in and your kind comments

Regards

AndyCool