Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
1:16 Luftwaffe Pilot - Next mini project Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 03 August 2014 17:09:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin BigGrin

Well here`s the next mini-project, while things get sorted.

Here`s the pilot for my Stuka (in the future), but should be a nice little infill whilst I rearrange my life over the next few weeks.

This is the Tamiya 1:16 kit.

Box Art pic below.

Now, at this point I would like to express some of my concerns with this kit.Confused Confused

The Body (Torso) is made up of two parts, in it`s self not an issue, but there is a wealth of detail on the pilot`s uniform, which is lost under the life-jacket.

So you might say "Leave off the life jacket"

Only one problem with that is, that:

Back straps, waist straps, crotch and shoulder straps are all included on the torso.

Had the straps been an addition to the torso, then you would have had the choice, life-jacket or not.

So, my choice is, paint the torso, so no missing colours around edge of life-jacket are showing, then do a good a job as possible on the life-jacket and hopefully end up with a good result.

So next pic is the parts fret:

Got over eager and took the body parts off the fret.Blushing Blushing, but you`ll get the idea. Laugh

In the last pic I put the Torso parts together and cleaned up some of the edges to make sure the lines of the uniform match ok.

You will now be able to see the detail of the pilot`s uniform/insignia and medals that will be lost under his life-jacket.

Seems to me, that to remove the parts of the life-jacket that will be in the way of a straight uniform model will be an awful lot of hassle, but I`m open to suggestions.BigGrin BigGrin

So, I will leave this one as it is for now.

If you have any ideas to improve this, please speak up and I`ll try my best to give this kit some justice.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
Iphone pics and vids 1059.JPG
Iphone pics and vids 1060.JPG
Iphone pics and vids 1061.JPG
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#2 Posted : 03 August 2014 17:32:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi Del

What i would do is to remove the offending straps at the front and rear with a sharp knife then use needle files to tidy the area's up, With some careful filing there should be no trace of the straps ect.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Warthog
#3 Posted : 03 August 2014 17:41:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Ditto to what Andy has said, an Xacto chisel blade should do the job. BigGrin

Spencer
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 03 August 2014 19:40:04

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Andy and Spence, BigGrin BigGrin

Well, I see where you both are coming from and all be it, a bit scary, I will be giving it a go.

The life-jacket seems all wrong with that amount of detail on the uniform.

The front should be no problem, but the rear could be a bit of a Cursing job.

See pics below.

A couple of side straps at the waist are the only other issues, but I`m gonna give it a go as a "FIRST" plastic kit mod. BigGrin BigGrin

If all else fails I can replace the whole kit for less than £11.

So onward and upward, "watch this space"

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
Iphone pics and vids 1063.JPG
Iphone pics and vids 1062.JPG

stevie_o
#5 Posted : 03 August 2014 20:05:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

delboy271155
#6 Posted : 03 August 2014 20:22:16

stevie_o wrote:
Hi Del, looks a good oneBigGrin The straps are certainly more tricky to remove from the back but certainly do-able, good luck with it anyway!

Steve

Hi Steve, BigGrin

Thanks for taking a look and the confidence boost. Cool Cool

Have made a start and so far so good. Blink Blink

Will update soon.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

jase
#7 Posted : 03 August 2014 23:28:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

HI Derik,

Use an Xacro chisel blade as Spence and Andy have said, the narrow one, and do the easy front strap first. If you think its a hassle it is easy to replace that with some plastic card or similar.

Hardest area will be around the trousers i recon. thin the strap down with the chisel blade then use a rat tail round file to follow the creases. it will be a bit of work but it is perfectly do able. and don't worry if you nick the plastic you can always use some filler and then go back over it with the files again.

Looking forward to your progress - good luck

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#8 Posted : 04 August 2014 00:12:39

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Derek, looks like a nice little kit... You can as you say replace the kit for £11 but think of the experience you will gain by having a go... I think it's worth taking it on... Good luck with it, will be looking forward to seeing how it all turns out....

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#9 Posted : 04 August 2014 20:21:29

Gandale wrote:
Hi Derek, looks like a nice little kit... You can as you say replace the kit for £11 but think of the experience you will gain by having a go... I think it's worth taking it on... Good luck with it, will be looking forward to seeing how it all turns out....

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan BigGrin ,

Thanks for taking the time to look in. Cool

As of the time of this post, I have removed approx 75% of the offending life jacket, even if I say so myself I`m quite pleased with the outcome.

Laugh Laugh Laugh

Time will tell though, should be able to post an update tomorrow, work and everything else allowing. Crying

Happy Building

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

birdaj2
#10 Posted : 04 August 2014 20:33:20

Del

Another great looking kit you have on the go there.

Sure you will have no problems removing the life jacket parts.

Will make a very nice addition to your stuka model.

Happy modelling

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#11 Posted : 04 August 2014 21:17:18

birdaj2 wrote:
Del

Another great looking kit you have on the go there.

Sure you will have no problems removing the life jacket parts.

Will make a very nice addition to your stuka model.

Happy modelling

Tony

Hi Tony BigGrin ,

Yep, this kit has some great detail. Unfortunately, some of it where not needed.

The silly thing is, they give you two heads for the figure. One with a cap and one without, but you don`t get the choice of life jacket or not.

Hey Ho, will plod on with the upgrade and see what comes out of it.

Thanks for taking the time to look in. Cool Cool

Update should be soon,so we`ll see then how things turn out.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#12 Posted : 06 August 2014 17:28:54

Hi All, BigGrin

Here`s the promised update, for the removal of the life jacket. Blink

Had a few moments with this one, but this is where I`m at after the basic removal.

The pics below show the following items removed.

Front Strap

Waist up to shoulders

Rear lower strap

Now, as you will see, I taken these pics close-up.

Reason, if anyone knows of any more improvement that can be added, apart from a final smoothing, then please post your ideas.

As said before this is my first plastic mod, so any advise will be gratefully accepted and worked on.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Happy building

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
Iphone pics and vids 1075.JPG
Iphone pics and vids 1076.JPG
Iphone pics and vids 1077.JPG

birdaj2
#13 Posted : 06 August 2014 18:30:13

Del

Knew you would manage this -well done.

Some nice sanding should smooth things out a treat and then a little trick I learnt is use a brush and some liquid cement - I use ema plastic weld- to smooth out any other imperfections.

Do not be tempted to use this on fine detail however as it's melting the plastic that does the smoothing so would only be suitable on areas with no detail such as these jacket sections.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Happy modelling

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#14 Posted : 06 August 2014 19:30:28

birdaj2 wrote:
Del

Knew you would manage this -well done.

Some nice sanding should smooth things out a treat and then a little trick I learnt is use a brush and some liquid cement - I use ema plastic weld- to smooth out any other imperfections.

Do not be tempted to use this on fine detail however as it's melting the plastic that does the smoothing so would only be suitable on areas with no detail such as these jacket sections.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Happy modelling

Tony

Hi Tony, BigGrin

Thanks for looking in and the great tip. Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

jase
#15 Posted : 07 August 2014 07:51:48

Really well done - Good job.

Give it a prime and any other imperfections will stand out more easily.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
davetwin
#16 Posted : 07 August 2014 08:27:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great work with he removal of the life vest ThumpUp
delboy271155
#17 Posted : 07 August 2014 21:45:01

jase wrote:
Really well done - Good job.

Give it a prime and any other imperfections will stand out more easily.

Jase

Hi Jase, BigGrin

Many thanks for the follow-on input. Cool Cool

Will give it a coat at the weekend, when not working for a change. Cursing Cursing

Then will post a couple of pics.

Would assume any errors can be faded out with something like "Milliput"

Will update soon.

Many thanks for the assist. Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#18 Posted : 07 August 2014 21:47:26

davetwin wrote:
Great work with he removal of the life vest ThumpUp

Hi Davetwin, BigGrin BigGrin

Many thanks for looking in and the encouragement, it`s most appreciated.

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

tf64
#19 Posted : 07 August 2014 22:45:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi del,
That,s skills at its best,cool del.
Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

delboy271155
#20 Posted : 08 August 2014 11:21:19

tf64 wrote:
Hi del,
That,s skills at its best,cool del.
Trev

Hi Trev
Many thanks for the comments
It was a bit of a labour due to the size,
but I think it will show it's worth in the end.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)