Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Hi All Options
Mac
#1 Posted : 22 March 2010 15:10:49

Groups: Registered

Hi all, just wanted to say hello. I have previously only ever made up plastic kits so I'm looking forward to the challenge of a wooden build.Confused

cheers Mac
Pam's shipyard is closed for now no more room!

magpie1832
#2 Posted : 22 March 2010 16:48:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mac and Welcome to the Forum..BigGrin
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Tomick
#3 Posted : 22 March 2010 17:33:57

Groups:

Hi Mac, a big welcome to the forum!
Tarbrush
#4 Posted : 22 March 2010 17:39:17

Hi Mac,
Welcome to the hobby. I am replacing an Airfix model of Victory which is almost as old as the original and seriously beyond further restoration having frequently repaired broken masts and spars following repeated attacks of the yellow duster.Angry I was never very happy with the rigging and sails. Even the hull is now coming apart as the glue seems to have deteriorated.Crying The new one is going to get a case so that it will have a protected environment.Mellow

You are right about the challenge, which in my book, will be the planking. Make sure you get all the advice you can on this topic as there is no comparison with the plastic version. Blink How are your woodworking skills? We know that the ubiquitous Airfix often needed a judicious application of the scalpel or fine sandpaper to remove flashing for an accurate fit. With wood the planking needs tapering at bow and stern. I have a few ideas to discuss with the experts on this site in order to improve my results. Cool I am determined not to resort to filler this timeBlushing.

Good luck. No doubt we shall be using this site regularly. I certainly could have done with it when building my first wooden model.Mellow
Horatio's Eyepatch
#5 Posted : 22 March 2010 23:50:11

Hi all.

I've just found the site and forum and from what I see there's a lot of advice already logged which can prove invaluable.

I've not yet subscribed but i guess it's inevitable. In at the deep end too as I've nver succumbed to such an intricate project before so I feel a steep learning curve coming on, and I only have one eye too...Laugh
Lonestar Spirit
#6 Posted : 23 March 2010 10:08:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

A huge hello to you all, and to all you new guys to this hobby, you will be so chuffed when you have created your first hull, it was that what got me hooked into building period ships.
At first the task of planking a hull is daunting, but trust me as long as you follow the plans that should be included with this publication, you wont go wrong, but I would advise you get a plank bender, or subscribe as you get one free as they are worth their weight in gold, also some rigging tools (See Below)

http://www.cornwallmodel...alog/amati_7375_22.html

Rigging can look scary, but it's simple as long as you take it step by step.

PS if your married and plan on making one in the home, a cutting mat is essential to avoid a divorce over a ruined dining table BigGrin
Ship Builds on the go

Yamato - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
AKAGI - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
RMS Titanic Lifeboat (Kind Gift from DeAgostini Crew)
Tomick
#7 Posted : 23 March 2010 14:18:27

Groups:

Welcome to the forum Horatio
Horatio's Eyepatch
#8 Posted : 23 March 2010 21:00:24

Tomick wrote:
Welcome to the forum Horatio

Thanks!!

So I skipped the afternoon off work today - nipped in to Lincoln and picked up two copies of the first edition. That's the first step - if i accidently glue a barrel to a bulk head then i have spares lol!!

Now to subscribe...

I'm looking forward to sharing everyone's experiences on this forum.
Tiswas
#9 Posted : 23 March 2010 21:38:32

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi to all. This too, is my 1st time at tackling a model made of wood. I have enjoyed reading all of the topics on the forum and there are some useful and encouraging pieces of information. I have subscribed too, the free toolkit being the clincher, as this I believe contains all the necessary tools for the job. Do not intend to start until I have all the hull sections though plus the cutting pad (thankyou for that tip). I think that apart from the planking, the other daunting task will be the painting, steady hands needed by everyoneCool
Look forward to reading more of your posts. Good luck with the kit everyone.
Tiswas
Tomick
#10 Posted : 23 March 2010 22:54:00

Groups:

Welcome to the forum Tiswas, now there was a program LOL
Lonestar Spirit
#11 Posted : 24 March 2010 15:35:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Tizwas, I'm surprised I'm not the only one who remembers that LOL but I was more shocked I still remember The multicolour swap shop
Ship Builds on the go

Tarbrush
#12 Posted : 24 March 2010 16:11:25

Nice to know we are not so old as to have lost our memories yet!! I have been known as Wrinkly. Bet you don't know what programme that's from! LOL

Yep, the painting is a doddle with a steady hand compared to the planking. Although I am several hundred percent more confident after finding this site. I may however be using a magnifier and good lighting throughout as the old mark 1 eyeballs are not what they were.LOL

Hope you don't get in one, Tiswas!BigGrin
PAULS101
#13 Posted : 24 March 2010 17:32:02

Hello to all and happy building . im sure we can all get though this together.
cheers
Tiswas
#14 Posted : 24 March 2010 18:24:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Tarbrush wrote:
Nice to know we are not so old as to have lost our memories yet!! I have been known as Wrinkly. Bet you don't know what programme that's from! LOL

Yep, the painting is a doddle with a steady hand compared to the planking. Although I am several hundred percent more confident after finding this site. I may however be using a magnifier and good lighting throughout as the old mark 1 eyeballs are not what they were.LOL

Hope you don't get in one, Tiswas!BigGrin

Thanks Tarbrush, remember you're as old as you feel....lol. The 'Wrinklys' I don't remember, but I'm working on it. As for getting in a 'Tiswas', it's my wife that will get in one before me, I have the patience of a saint, so will wait for the fireworks the 1st time I leave something in the wrong place or drop paint or glue on the carpet, cripes!
Looking forward to issues 2 & 3 which should be out tomorrow. Do not intend assembling until I have all of the parts to the hull. Good luck everyone.
TIS
Tarbrush
#15 Posted : 25 March 2010 19:58:51

I think I am feeling very young and impetuous as I have just given in to impatience and bought the first issue from Smith's as my order seems to be taking so long.Crying At least I will know know what all the chat is about, and I have something to drool over. Impressed with the quality of the ply parts. BigGrin
Horatio's Eyepatch
#16 Posted : 25 March 2010 20:01:58

I bought two copies of the first issue, not least because of the price, but it gives me an extra canon to keep to one side for a project to distract me when the going gets tough!!
longsider
#17 Posted : 25 March 2010 21:02:51

hi all! iam new to boat building aswell, really looking forward to a different challange!
dtgray
#18 Posted : 25 March 2010 21:40:29

Hi all. I too am new to wooden boat building. I used to build plastic ones in my youth but that was a long time ago now. I've been wanting to try a wooden boat for years but was always too daunted with the task, but the step by step instructions and the convenience of the magazine made this an opportunity that was too good to miss. I just hope you'll all forgive me in advance when I start pestering everyone for advice as my build progresses.BigGrin
Regards,

David

JAW
#19 Posted : 25 March 2010 23:11:46

Hello to you All

I am completly new to this type of model and I am looking forward to the challenge. I have been amazed how helpful and informative you guys are and I mean to test your patience with lots of silly questions over the series.
I have completed my canon from issue 1 and now feeling quite impatient for the anchor and the carronade.

Good luck to you All

JAW
Lonestar Spirit
#20 Posted : 26 March 2010 12:02:48

Hello to all you new model shipwrights, just a quick point, dont any of you ever feel you are asking too many questions, this is a fantastic site, and were all here to help each other.
I have been building models since 9 years old, it was a plastic spitfire model, since then I have built many models, and am now on my fifth Period ship, and I am still amazed how much I am still learning, you will always find someone who will come up with a solution to a problem that you never thought of, and most of the time they will save you time, money and stress, so if you have any questions, just ask away!
Ship Builds on the go