Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages «<910111213>
HMS Guadeloupe (ex French Le Nisus), Brick de 24" by Jack.Aubrey - Scratch build - 1:48 Scale Options
jack.aubrey
#201 Posted : 21 August 2015 15:02:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Friday, August 21st, 2015

Until now nothing new about ship modeling . .

I'm now deeply involved with the painting of the terrace railings of my daughter's house . . after suffering some days ago a water flood due to a broken tube while we were outside, luckyly for less than an hour. Result: 2cm. water in all the house rooms in less then half an hour.

For the railings I decided for a step by step approach instead of one shot, so every morning I wake up early, at 6:00 and I paint +/- 3 meters of railings, next I prepare other 3 meters for the day after. At 9:00 I've finished and the day starts with a big breakfast and so on !!

I hope to finish in a week unless starts to rain . .
Stay tuned, Jack.
jack.aubrey
#202 Posted : 14 September 2015 15:45:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Monday, September 14, 2015

We are now in the middle of September and I stand still so handsome in Tuscany. . shipmodeling is out of my mind, because I had other to think, like you may expect from people on vacation.

But not everything went exactly in this way: first I got an interesting opportunity and I rented a garage right in front of my balcony in Tuscany, just across the square.
In front of the gate there is a private parking, so I  will use the garage not for the car but as a store of what has no place in the house and as "future modeling workshop", if the idea of ​​spending two months in Cinisello Balsamo (Milan) and two months in Tuscany should become a habit.

This solution would provide a very convenient environment, with power and water, in order to work on my ship models. There is no heating and sunlight but are things that can be solved. The matter is not as simple as I describe it but it is a first step, even at a relatively low cost: 80 € as monthly rent, all inclusive.

Obviously this resulted in more "jobs" involving me and they gave me the opportunity for other actions until today. Now I no longer know what to invent again and then it could be that I finally resume the three ship boats for my Brick and start working on them. . we'll see.

If there will be news I'll be back . . friendliness, Jack.Aubrey
jack.aubrey
#203 Posted : 30 October 2015 12:57:32

Thursday, October 29, 2011

It's from early August that I don't add anything new in this log. We left while I was leaving to spend some time in Tuscany and I brought with me some material to build the three boats planned for this Brick.
But my good intentions didn't produce practical results and, while I was away from home, I did nothing.
Now I am back to my house since October 10th and I had first to spend some days to fix my "business" tasks so I can't resume the shipyard immediately.
But . . last Sunday, October 25th, I finally started to do something. So I picked up the long boat and I began applying the first planking (veneer with thickness of 0.4mm). I remember you that for these task I use veneer which has one of the two sides with a thin layer of non-woven fabric. This fabric is particularly useful since the material doesn't either splinter or flake off and can be confortably cut with a cutter without causing burrs, especially in presence of plank tapering.

The technique I use for planking these small boats is well experienced: in the past I built four boats for my Soleil Royal in the same manner with full satisfaction. Honestly this method is probably more time consuming compared with other approaches, but I prefer it because has several embedded advantages that lead to a satisfactory and very strong final result.

1) First I start applying the first planking with the woodden side of the veneer (the one where there isn't non-woven fabric) facing inward. I use cyanoacrylate glue applied with the supplied brush. After I apply a few coats of diluted PVA interspersed with light sanding to strenghten the whole.
2) Subsequently I repeat the planking with a second layer of the same material, this time with the veneer facing to the right side and at the end the same tasks with glue and sanding.
3) Finally, the third planking as the final step.

In this way I have three times the chance to learn the best method to apply the planks and the third time also my empty brain understands the most effective way to operate. The total thickness of the planking slightly exceeds one millimeter, but it is very, very strong.
At this point I detach the hull from the building slip to work inside. But here we should be far away in the future from now, probably in mid-November at best.

Below I propose some pictures of the long boat, as it appears after the first step of planking.
The first day I started badly, the second a little better and the third better than the second. At the end the result is neither bad nor good.

Rather I had to recognize that my projects of the three boats, made with my computer, lack of optimal precision, probably inherited from the ANCRE plans. More than a flaw on the plans it's likely due to the small size of the drawing, where a minimal imprecision of few tenths in practice means a nice hump or recess on the hull . . in my case, if they were drawn on a larger scale, using my approach via AutoCAD I would achieve a better drawing.
However, I still have two additional planking steps to address the humps and bumps visible in the photos.

The original ANCRE drawings:
Brick%20de%2024%20Plans/barca_zps285f10a5.jpg

Some pictures of the long boat after the first planking:
01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/20151028_164402_zpsjal8yjx9.jpg

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/20151028_164413_zps0c9t6vxw.jpg

03 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/20151028_164419_zpsoxdifirc.jpg

04 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/20151028_164520_zps9l9fdfmz.jpg

05 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/20151028_164601_zpsrmyojnfc.jpg

06 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/20151028_164618_zps6jp1brji.jpg

See you soon.
Greetings, Jack.Aubrey
davetwin
#204 Posted : 30 October 2015 14:55:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great to see another update Jack, your usual fantastic craftsmanship on show here ThumpUp
Martyn Ingram
#205 Posted : 30 October 2015 15:08:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Stunning work as always Jack Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
jack.aubrey
#206 Posted : 02 November 2015 11:10:48

Hi Davetwin and Martyn.
Many thanks for your appreciations . . I'm now addressing the second layer and I'll then post the new step.
Rgds, jack.
jack.aubrey
#207 Posted : 05 November 2015 14:32:20

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Exactly one week after the completion of the first planking of the longboat I finished the laying of the second. I remember that a third one is planned. Here I used strips I made from chestnut veneer instead of tanganyka, because the tanganyka veneer is becoming scarce and enough only for the third layer on this boat, while I have plenty of chestnut. So I have to replenish the tanganyka stock when I'll be back in Tuscany.

Below are some pictures of the boat with 2nd planking almost complete, it's still missing to trim the stern but it's a matter of minutes. The situation seems much better than October 29th and also the various bumps, and so on, seem to be softened. I believe they almost disappear after the third layer.

With this second planking I almost found the best way to proceed: strips of 3 mm more or less tapered at prow and stern.

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100360_zpsbfnsxc13.jpg

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100359r_zps4lccpaiy.jpg

03 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100358r_zpseakvzoym.jpg

04 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100362_zps3pyxmubr.jpg

05 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100365_zpsrlx98qer.jpg

Kind regards, Jack.Aubrey.
Gandale
#208 Posted : 05 November 2015 17:04:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work as usual Jack....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
jack.aubrey
#209 Posted : 07 November 2015 13:54:38

Friday, November 6, 2015

Preparatory tasks in view of the last layer of planking. .
The transom: here I used tanganyika veneer, I will use the same wood for planking.

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100367r_zps8h6zctbh.jpg

an adjustment on the bow with a filler made with sawdust and PVA glue to properly settle the intersection between the keel and the planks in this area, where just one-tenth may be noticeable . . Here the goal is to implement the best background possible.

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100368r_zpsolgnhxy5.jpg

I think then to remove (almost) totally certain hollows due to inaccuracies in the bulkheads.

03 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100369r_zpsygrdljbm.jpg

Now I'll take another week, obviously not dedicated, considering my slow productivity, before finishing with the third layer.
Regards, Jack.

PS: At the end with these pictures and posts I think to write a booklet on how to build small boats with this method, that will be added to the other 1000 mathods to make the same thing.
jack.aubrey
#210 Posted : 13 November 2015 14:10:31

Thursday, November 12th, 2015

Yesterday I finished to apply the third and final layer of planking of the longboat.

The work was done during four sessions of about an hour and a half, without urgency, applying roughly four strakes per side every time and later consolidating the activity done.
As glue I used cyanoacrylate in the package with the brush, very practical for this kind of work; to consolidate, after a smoothing of the courses applied, I used a couple of coats of PVA diluted in water to approximately 50%.

A trick to hide the grooves between a strip and the other was to sand with fine grain sandpaper, making sure that the wood powder fills the grooves. At this point, instead of removing the wood powder produced, I immediately past a coat of PVA which in practice pasted the dust remained into the cracks. By repeating the process a few times you get a more than satisfactory result. To dry more quickly the diluted glue applied, I used a normal "hair-dryer"; so I hadn't dead time between one step and the next.

Here are some pictures of the longboat . . Now I have to decide whether to keep the current keel, which I think became rather low after three layers of strips or apply it again after having sanded and reduced the current one. Once this will be done, then it will be possible to detach the hull and work inside it.

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100372_zpsko2cbgmj.jpg

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100373_zps94afbo6z.jpg

03 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100374_zpsrwmflras.jpg

04 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100371_zpsq065vtzp.jpg

05 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100370_zpsndxsnriz.jpg

Cheers, Jack.
davetwin
#211 Posted : 13 November 2015 19:39:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

More beauty and skill on show from you here Jack ThumpUp ThumpUp
jack.aubrey
#212 Posted : 21 November 2015 18:36:59

Thursday, November 19, 2015

This time I don't have anything better to show that these three (awful) photos of the second shipboat, where I just finished to apply the first layer of planking.

At the last minute I decided to stop working on the first shipboat and drive the same experience of the three plank layers also for the second one. This because I feel very "hot" to continue carrying out this type of work and I realized that I'm getting pretty good. So, although more tedious, I prefer to finish the outside of all the three boats before removing them from their building slip and continue with the interior.

On this second boat I already started to apply the second planking: but this time, instead of using veneer I wanted to try using birch plywood 0.4mm. The same thickness of the veneer, but theoretically more robust and flexible. We'll see. .

Salutoni, Jack.Aubrey

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/20151119_165553_zpslcc3gesq.jpg

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/20151119_165529_zpsj6cfd9ki.jpg

03 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/20151119_165519_zpsxagugbyi.jpg
jack.aubrey
#213 Posted : 22 November 2015 21:10:12

Sunday November 22nd, 2015

Second planking in progress . .

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/20151122_181609_zpsi5izzfdy.jpg
jack.aubrey
#214 Posted : 01 December 2015 14:47:51

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The second round of planking is over (the smallest boat in the two photos). 
Now it remains the third and last one that will be done using Tanganyika veneer. At the end the wood color will be like the larger longboat visible in the same two pictures.

This second boat, apart from the quite different hull form, seems becoming better. Here the project I prepared with a CAD software was better, apart from the last bulkhead (the sternpost) totally wrong and that I corrected during the application of the two layers of planking.

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100385_zpsdksmcykx.jpg

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100386_zpspwnnkitc.jpg

Cheers, Jack.Aubrey.
jack.aubrey
#215 Posted : 04 December 2015 18:01:40

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

I would say that, given this strange viewpoint, the object seems more like a World War II Japanese aircraft carrier than a lifeboat of a XIX century brick . . I thought to install on the flydeck some Mitsubishi A6M3 Zeke fighters and Aichi D3A Val divebombers but then I capsized the whole and my lifeboat reappeared. So I abandoned the project.

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100389_zpskieiyhwf.jpg

Aircraft carriers apart, the second Brick lifeboat received its final third planks layer. I must admit that this time everything went right and I think it couldn't be otherwise, after six times I redo the same task.
This last task took me a while to finish, but the reason was the lack of time that I could assign to the model over the last 7-8 days. Too much noise to the quiet life of the modeller. In practice I needed just three sessions of two hours to complete the third planking as it appears in these images.

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100391_zpsm402fjzn.jpg

At the end I decided to redo the keel. This was due to little mistake I made in the design phase: after three layers of planks, the keel became a bit too low to be credible. Then I totally smooth the protruding part of the old keel, including the sternpost and the stem, and I glued a strip of fine wood 1.5 x 2mm.
It looks much better now than before, because the two pieces are totally new. Now I only need to apply the stem, to be drawn from a tablet of the same timber.

03 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100390_zpszajvd15m.jpg

Next time with new activities, cheers Jack.Aubrey.
jack.aubrey
#216 Posted : 07 December 2015 10:15:29

Thursday, December 3, 2015

Today I found a couple of free hours and I resumed the ship boats . .
First, I rebuilt the keel of the main boat, using the same method described in my previous message; see image below.

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100392_zpsi0akohqx.jpg

Then I didn't resist at the temptation to see how could show the inside of the hull and so I proceeded to remove the longboat from its building base. The two images here below show the inside, just after the detachment tasks was over.

Looking at the plans, here there is still a lot of work to be done, first a general cleaning and then adding new details. Now I have to study thoroughly the design of this boat to understand clearly hiw it is like and then decide what to do.

However, given the short time remaining before my return to Tuscany, I think I'll delay this task and I'll proceed to the building of the third and last lifeboat hull. I have less than two weeks of available time but I think to be able to reach the same achievement of the other two boats.

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100393_zps7wuwc84s.jpg

03 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100394_zpsdckpu6uc.jpg

Cheers, Jack.
jack.aubrey
#217 Posted : 08 January 2016 13:47:31

Friday, January 8th, 2016

In these days of rain I spent a bit of time to review this project and, at a certain point, following a suggestion of another modeller who is building this model from my plans, we decided it was finally time to "name" our Bricks.

Both had in mind a couple of possible names. For both the favorite seemed to be "Le Colibri", with another alternative name, which in my case was "Le Nisus".

After a review of my original research I found out that "Le Nisus" was captured by the Royal Navy when the ship had not yet been completed by the French: the ship was incomplete and not yet equipped with ordnance. This made me very intrigued because, since the beginning I had the idea to build a model that, even though basically to follow the French project from Pestel, was then probably finished and armed by the Royal Navy, giving me the possibility to build a model say "probably unique".

So what better of a sailing ship caught "incomplete" and "without ordnance"? I can make masts differently from the French rules, adhering to British standards, and above all I can adopt different guns.

Hence a sudden change of mind and the decision to build "Le Nisus", which in Italian means "Kite," a medium-sized bird of prey which would become the figurehead of the model I'm going to build.

One last piece of information: in the Royal Navy this Brick was renamed "HMS Guadeloupe", so from now on I will call it so. Therefore I proceeded to modify appropriately the title of this building log.
Shortly will follow an upgrade of its operational history.

Salutoni, Jack.
jack.aubrey
#218 Posted : 28 January 2016 21:18:18

Wednesday, January 27th, 2016

After the decision to name my brick as HMS Guadaloupe (or Guadeloupe) in an afternoon when I was free of other tasks I started to search on the internet something about this ship.
Surprisingly I found a lot of news and also three original plans at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich: of these plans, one is potentially very interesting because can help to determine the real appearance of the figurehead. And also the poop decorations. I'll buy it from the NMM at original scale because the image below shown is too small to understand what it is.

In the meantime I have written the history of this ship, where I found also some interesting contemporaty articles of the London Gazette. The main source is Wikipedia, supplemented with additional web sites.

Suggested reading. Regards, Jack.

Guadeloupe/HMS%20Guadeloupe-1_zps6tmil0ib.jpg

Guadeloupe/HMS%20Guadeloupe-2_zpsetal5ald.jpg

Guadeloupe/HMS%20Guadeloupe-3_zps2ocszcdk.jpg

Guadeloupe/HMS%20Guadeloupe-4_zpstc48e9ns.jpg

Guadeloupe/HMS%20Guadeloupe-5_zpsrtfa7kre.jpg

Guadeloupe/HMS%20Guadeloupe-6_zps7f9vagru.jpg
jase
#219 Posted : 28 January 2016 23:47:40

I really do admire your work it is excellent. totally enjoying your build as always

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
jack.aubrey
#220 Posted : 29 January 2016 10:27:00

Thursday, March 17, 2016

A few weeks ago I purchased from the Royal Museums in Greenwich the sheer and body plan of HMS Guadelupe, to finally understand what represents the figurehead and some other details at prow and poop.
Today the plan is finally in my hands and as soon as possible I'll post an explanatory message on the subject.

Salutoni, Jack.