Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages <12345>»
HMS Guadeloupe (ex French Le Nisus), Brick de 24" by Jack.Aubrey - Scratch build - 1:48 Scale Options
jack.aubrey
#41 Posted : 25 September 2014 10:18:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Wednesday, September 24th, 2014

I've completed the installation of the lateral reinforcements at the poop as shown in the following picture . .

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/ca8e53ef-cec4-4139-8c3d-ec00064093fe_zps6a2e4853.jpg

. . and the same was also made at prow. Now all the bulkheads are connected together through these reinforcements and the result is very rigid and strong. This also gives an idea of the sheer of the deck.

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/24aa2826-0150-4342-a0eb-d35d1b59b315_zpscde3a7e9.jpg

Then I worked around the prow, adding the toptimbers to the stem in order to obtain a supporting structure for the planks there.
I've also reinforced the two toptimbers of the first bulkhead by adding a small piece of plywood to enlarge the existing ones. This detail will help when I'll have to bevel this bulkhead.

I would like to explain that all the toptimbers will be removed when the planking will be in place . . but this is a matter that I will discuss better in the future, probably now is too early . .

03 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/0afe5d3a-551b-45c8-9277-6920ab4e91de_zpsa43ac47c.jpg

A detail of the toptimbers at the stem . .

04 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1090999_zps868aba59.jpg

In the next message I'll show some overall views, regards, Jack.
jack.aubrey
#42 Posted : 25 September 2014 18:21:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

As promised, some overall views of the hull . .

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1090995_zpsdf171607.jpg

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1090996_zpse1dd41aa.jpg

03 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100002_zpsc51d362f.jpg

And last but not least the prow completed with the filler blocks, although not yet sanded.
Next step i'll attack the poop. Hoping in a good result.

Greetings, Jack.

Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/CAM00340_zps1b9ae24d.jpg
jack.aubrey
#43 Posted : 27 September 2014 10:15:15

I continue with a series of images of another "brick of 24", belonging to the same class of Le Cyclope.

This model depicts "Le Cygne", the model described in the monograph from ANCRE. Even here I do not know who the model maker is but surely he well knows what to do and how . . and it pays more care in removing dust from the model before taking photos of it.

Unlike Le Cyclope, Le Cygne mounted 24pdrs carronades and only two 6pdrs guns at bow. Here are three major differences:
- The figurehead
- The poop lateral "bottles" and the kind of decorations
- The gunports size, that are much larger on Le Cygne than the same of Le Cyclope; I believe that this difference is due to the presence of carronades instead of the guns, to provide a greater visual shooting to carronades.

Here below five images of Le Cygne. . to be continued. .

A cordial greeting, Jack.Aubrey

01 Le%20Cygne/dsc_0600_zps7c6c0c60.jpg

02 Le%20Cygne/dsc_0601_zps33d3b303.jpg

03 Le%20Cygne/dsc_0603_zps00d08111.jpg

04 Le%20Cygne/dsc_0607_zps5bfa66b6.jpg

05 Le%20Cygne/dsc_0609_zps558b5763.jpg
jack.aubrey
#44 Posted : 28 September 2014 13:35:01

Le Cygne . . Continuation

Here below five other images of the brig "le Cygne".

01 Le%20Cygne/dsc_0611_zpsbbb8f515.jpg

02 Le%20Cygne/dsc_0614_zps85484955.jpg

03 Le%20Cygne/dsc_0615_zpsadfe6f10.jpg

04 Le%20Cygne/dsc_0617_zps2c8301cd.jpg

05 Le%20Cygne/dsc_0619_zps421f9278.jpg

That's all regarding this ship/model. Regards, Jack.Aubrey.
birdaj2
#45 Posted : 28 September 2014 15:35:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Jack

That is another lovely looking ship model with some stunning detail.

Is the wood decoration around the stern area and cabin hand carved?

All looks very nice indeed.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
jack.aubrey
#46 Posted : 28 September 2014 20:07:05

birdaj2 wrote:
Jack
That is another lovely looking ship model with some stunning detail.
Is the wood decoration around the stern area and cabin hand carved?
All looks very nice indeed.

I don't have details from the author, but, looking at the figurehead and the stern area I think to be right saying they are . . patiently . . hand carved.

It is a task I never had the opportunity to exercise, for me building this model will be a new experience in this area, provided I'll discover which was the right figurehead and stern and cabin details of the model I'm going to build . .
Remember, As I wrote time ago, I've not yet decided the name of this model, I can choice between 22 in the same class and these elements where the only differences distinguishing a ship from the other.

Cheers, Jack.
jack.aubrey
#47 Posted : 29 September 2014 14:34:53

Monday, September 29th, 2014

As I wrote some time ago, at the beginning of this discussion, the model that I am building belongs to a class of brick which has 20, ships designed by Pestel, or 22, if we count the two variants built without changes by Sanè when Pestel fell into disgrace with the major staff of the French Navy.

As I got to write many of these brick were captured by the British and subsequently used into war actions against the French themselves. I have also indicated my intention to build the model of one of the sailing ships belonging to this category and I've identified among these ships nine vessels that, for their acts of war, interested me in a particular way.

Finally, I also wrote that I had not chosen the name of my model, a name that should fall among the nine selected, explaining that I would have to perform more researchs to identify how the figurehead and stern decorations of these models were in the reality.

. . this research (carried out exclusively via the internet) till now did not yet provide results to be able to determine for example, as the figurehead of some of the nine sailing ships concerned was and I'm not confident in succeeding in the future.

What I were able to establish, by visiting the Maritime Museum in London, was the fact that many of their models have been completed WITHOUT the FIGUREHEAD.

Deepening the topic I noticed that in this case the model does not represent a specific sailing ship, in these images we are speaking about frigates, but represents an hypothetical sailing ship belonging to a particular ship class. In this case, as shown by the images here below, taken from the NMM site, different solutions have been adopted for the figurehead:

a) a flourish dummy
b) a block of wood just sketched
c) a vacancy in place of the figurehead

The three solutions are visible in the screenshots below.

Do you think a similar solution would be eligible for my model in order to have total freedom of choice for the name to be assigned to?

Thanks in advance to those who will take the trouble to answer, Jack.

01 Brick%20de%2024%20Plans/large_zps88b3f2a2.jpg

02 Brick%20de%2024%20Plans/large_zps001cab09.jpg

03 Brick%20de%2024%20Plans/large_zps0b606ee1.jpg

04 Brick%20de%2024%20Plans/large_zpsdc4d6b3b.jpg

05 Brick%20de%2024%20Plans/large1_zps6fa11a99.jpg
jack.aubrey
#48 Posted : 02 October 2014 21:06:09

Hi gentlemen, I'm wondering I'm not getting answers about the question or better the modeller "dilemma" presented in my previous message.

I posted the same message on another forum and, as answers to the same questions I got an unbelivable source of informations, that help very much to get a decision and a way to proceed.

The historical research is one of the aspects of ship modelling that provides credibility to our work . . any idea or suggestion on this forum ?

http://modelshipworld.co...cale/page-4#entry243719
Tomick
#49 Posted : 02 October 2014 21:39:50

Groups:

Sorry Jack, I can't read every post on the forum, but personally, I would go with a fictional figurehead, simply because I think it gives a ship its character, and as someone else has said, its elegance and is also a focal point.
birdaj2
#50 Posted : 02 October 2014 21:47:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Jack

Really sorry that you feel you are not getting the support you would like but from my own perspective you are working at a class way above anything I either know about or could offer assistance with ( in plain terms your are the teacher I am the student).

That said just looked at your post and if I understand correctly you are asking if your model should have a figurehead. Now with my very limited knowledge I believe a ships figurehead is unique to a particular ship? So in effect you would not see the Victory figurehead on say the hms pickle, and vice versa.

So I guess I would have to say what are you trying to model? A named craft or a generic craft of a certain style? If your going for a known ship then reproduce that figurehead. If it's a ship in the style of my own view would be to leave off the figurehead. Trying to add this as a wood blank I do not think would look correct.

Maybe my answer is not what you were looking for but it is my own personal view.

Hopefully you may get sone other ideas being posted.

Kind regard to you.

Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
Gibbo
#51 Posted : 03 October 2014 15:38:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi jack
i think without solid historical evidence it gives you the opportunity to use some artistic license and make this brick your very own, either way i look forward to the rest of your build.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
jack.aubrey
#52 Posted : 04 October 2014 16:31:05

Friday, October 3, 2014 - Structure of the stern

I put aside for the moment the figurehead "dilemma", although the topic remains open, to move on. 

It's been several days since I posted new pictures of the state of the shipyard and what I am about to show may appear a very small thing for those who have not experienced the problems I lived. 
In fact I could not spend the time on the model as I wanted because some commitments did not allow me, but apart from this detail, in fact, after a first attempt that did not achieved the results I expected, I had to disassemble what was wrongly done and start over with some variations. The explanation is all here. 

In the first picture you can see the exterior of the stern, which is slightly curved and "square" shaped, shape that is to be considered temporary. In fact, the next step will be to cut out the contours to the shape of the plans. At the time the sizes are quite generous. But from the outside, you don't understand how this structure is built . .

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100034_zps83e0931a.jpg

Instead, the view from inside should serve to show how everything is set up. 
In fact we can identify three elements that compose it and which, together, provide the thickness and adequate strength until the planks will not be applied:

- Four shaped supports which are fixed to the last bulkhead and provide the base for the other two elements. They are made with special plywood because I felt very sturdy and therefore unsuitable to use the classic poplar plywood. However, it is the same material used for the keel.
- The outer part consisting of two shaped plywood pieces of 1,5mm. applied externally to the previous element. The top one is simply rectangular, the lower one has a shape that I had to get empirically by testing first with cardboards until I identified the right one and then copy it on to the plywood.
- Once the second element was fixed the next day I proceeded to stiffen the inside using lime 8x2mm strip glued properly. Note the need to cut with a given angle the side that met the internal angle and the bulkhead. To do this was very useful the power sander that I bought from Proxxon time ago.

Now that everything is perfectly dry it looks like a very strong structure able to deal with the stress of the next processing.

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100033_zps8b1cb266.jpg

Finally, an overview of the whole skeleton of the hull.

03 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100032_zps1be31e11.jpg

To be continued . . Regards, Jack.
jack.aubrey
#53 Posted : 05 October 2014 09:52:08

Continuation of the previous message . . full view images.

04 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100031_zps5bc7f705.jpg

05 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100030_zpsf148ad2e.jpg

06 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100029_zps3882f7df.jpg

Regards, Jack.Aubrey
birdaj2
#54 Posted : 05 October 2014 11:46:24

Jack

Nice to see this one now starting to take on some shape.

Looks like some very nice wood you have there to work with.

Happy Modelling

Foz
#55 Posted : 05 October 2014 12:48:40

She is looking really smart, a great piece of work and look forward to your progress.
jack.aubrey
#56 Posted : 06 October 2014 13:26:50

Thanks to another ship modeller from Uruguay because, by communicating with him, I had the possibility to identify exactly the authors of the two models I presented in this topic some messages ago.
The Authors (with the A in capital letters) are:
for Le Cyclope, Bernard Frölich
for Le Cygne, Jean-Claude Buchaillard

And thanks to all the other users for their contribution with their opinions . .

I'm seriously considering a fourth alternative for the figurehead, I'll explain better.

I wrote that it's my intention to build a brick captured by the Royal Navy and I have selected nine potential candidates. The nine bricks to which I refer are those listed below. I tried their translation into Italian and I got interesting references. The original French name represents, if I translated and understood correctly, birds and in some few cases mythological characters.

Curieux >>> Curious
Phaeton >>> Phaeton (mythological char) but also a bird (Phaethon rubricauda or Red-tailed tropicbird)
Voltigeur >>> Acrobat or a Napoleonic kind of warrior
Griffon >>> Griffin
Basque >>> Basque (people living in the basque territory)
Lutin >>> Sprite, elf, goblin
Nisus >>> Nisus character of the Vilgilio's Aeneid or Sparrowhawk (Accipiter Nisus), bird of prey
Milan >>> a bird of prey of various species (see Wikipedia)
Colibrì >>> Hummingbird

It's likely or plausible that the "bird" ships had a kind of figurehead like Le Cygne, which represented the bird its name implies, while for others it would be even easier for Phaethon (mith), Nisus (Aeneid) and a little less for Curious, Acrobat and Elf . For Basque just would not idea.

In the ANCRE monograph it seems that this logic may be applied.
According to the previous list good candidate names may be: Griffon, Nisus, Milan, Colibrì, Phaeton (bird) and probably also Lutin. Internet provides lot of images usable for these names.

Here some examples . . with the wings spread . .
File Attachment(s):
grifone2.jpg (671kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
jack.aubrey attached the following image(s):
accipiter nisus3.jpg
colibrì2.jpg
Fetonte2.jpg
milan1.jpg
jack.aubrey
#57 Posted : 13 October 2014 21:45:32

Monday, October 13th, 2014

Today I overcame my reluctance to make dust and in the afternoon I set a good pace to shape the bow and adequately prepare the bulkheads with the "famous" bevel angle.
Below you can see the bow area, where there was to sand more with power and manual tools than in other areas of the hull:

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/CAM00347_zpsf4527c5b.jpg

But even in the stern there was enough work to do, in particular for shaping appropriately the transom in order to make possible to glue the last piece of the planking. Here a view of the internal side:

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/CAM00348_zpsd8c6be91.jpg

While here below I propose a view of the transom from the outside. As you can see the stern looks more like a stern than before I worked on it. In due time, I will also shape the top side, the horizontal one, of the same.

03 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/CAM00349_zpsccdb1613.jpg

However also the entire hull, limited for now only to the part above the waterline, has been sanded properly. In fact, the next step will be the installation of the planking at the top of the hull, in particular on the external and internal sides above the main deck. The lower hull will be planked in a second time, when the top is complete and will be possible to capsize the hull without risks:

04 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/CAM00351_zps0760046a.jpg

To do this work, today I used a new entry: the belt sander BS/E (or BSL 220/E) from Proxxon. A couple of tests on pieces of wood to waste just to make some experience with the tool and then I started . . it works pretty well although quite noisy and tending to heat up quite a bit after you use it for some time.

Brick%20de%2024%20Plans/BSL220E_zps8f1f50f3.jpg

Kind regards, Jack.Aubrey.
jack.aubrey
#58 Posted : 16 October 2014 09:57:31

Wednesday, October 15th, 2014

Today I started to apply the first planks. .

These are strips of lime wood, very beautiful, size 6 x 2 mm, purchased at a model hobby shop in Milan hinterland.

The first strip, in the photos the lower one, is in one piece and has been installed according to the line references of the deck, references which were previously marked on the bulkheads with a small incision on the outside and passed through with a pencil. With this one piece plank I secured a very accurate alignment and natural sheer.

Then I started to apply shorter planks concentrated in the area from amidships to the stern to rise, in order to properly cover the deck walls.
Next activity to reach the same situation from amidships to the bow. I hope tomorrow. . friendliness, Jack.Aubrey

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/CAM00352_zps7734b1f0.jpg

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/CAM00353_zpsa31b4e8c.jpg

03 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/CAM00354_zps5195574f.jpg
birdaj2
#59 Posted : 16 October 2014 10:28:10

Jack

That is some very neat work indeed.

It's really taking shape nicely now.

Happy Modelling

Whizgig
#60 Posted : 16 October 2014 10:58:56

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Very nice work there Jack very neat and a nice pick in the woods.ThumpUp ThumpUp

Eugene.