Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages «<23456>»
HMS Guadeloupe (ex French Le Nisus), Brick de 24" by Jack.Aubrey - Scratch build - 1:48 Scale Options
Foz
#61 Posted : 16 October 2014 11:28:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Really smart Jack, will be something to be really proud off.

Keep up the great work and i look forward to your progress.

Regards

Foz
jack.aubrey
#62 Posted : 19 October 2014 16:47:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Saturday, October 18th, 2014

In these days since my previous post where I showed the state of my model, I finished to install the upper planks in the bow area. Here, with respect to the stern, there was an additional difficulty due to the need to properly fold the strips.
My method, now standard for me, uses a metal can, fixed on a stable base, with a small candle inside that warms the upper surface of the can. I place the wood strip, previously put to soak in water for some time, and I model it to the desired shape. For me now it's child's play and the curves come very natural.

As always, I emphasize the fact that the strips (6 x 2 mm), in addition to being glued to the bulkheads, are also glued together so that they constitute a very solid and robust surface. As always I uses vinyl glue and, where necessary, clamps to hold or brass nails (not completely hammered, so that I can easily remove them when the glue is dry).

At this point, the external bulwarks size is pretty much over, missing only a final "on top" strip of 4 x 2 mm which I will apply later.

Finally today I focused my work on the bulwarks from the inside. In the following photos you can look at the work done inside, where I fixed generic pieces of strips vertically. The thickness of these strips is 2 mm.
The combination of the horizontal outer planking and the vertical internal planking has now a depth of 4 mm and the whole has a extraordinary rigidity and robustness.

But let the pictures speak . .

Three-quarters of the bow on the right side . .

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100041_zpsbe8f420f.jpg

Again three-quarters of the bow of the left side . .

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100043_zps074deab0.jpg

Other views from different viewpoints . .

03 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100036_zpse95a5ac2.jpg

04 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100042_zps0722b0a6.jpg

05 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100040_zps857068ca.jpg

In the next message I will deepen the internal construction of the bulwarks to see where I'm going. .

Friendliness. . Jack.Aubrey.
birdaj2
#63 Posted : 19 October 2014 22:15:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Jack

A lovely set of pictures to show your latest work - looks really good.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
jack.aubrey
#64 Posted : 20 October 2014 16:19:21

birdaj2 wrote:
Jack
That is some very neat work indeed.
It's really taking shape nicely now.

Whizgig wrote:
Very nice work there Jack very neat and a nice pick in the woods.ThumpUp ThumpUp
Eugene.

Foz wrote:
Regards
Foz

birdaj2 wrote:
Jack

Comulative answer to your very positive comments: many thanks to all of you. Your appreciations are strong incentives to me to continue posting my work. Regards, Jack.Aubrey.
Silent_Running
#65 Posted : 20 October 2014 16:40:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Forum Support Team

jack.aubrey wrote:
birdaj2 wrote:
Jack
That is some very neat work indeed.
It's really taking shape nicely now.

Whizgig wrote:
Very nice work there Jack very neat and a nice pick in the woods.ThumpUp ThumpUp
Eugene.

Foz wrote:
Regards
Foz

birdaj2 wrote:
Jack

Comulative answer to your very positive comments: many thanks to all of you. Your appreciations are strong incentives to me to continue posting my work. Regards, Jack.Aubrey.

I would like to add my comments to all the above and start by saying that the quality of your workmanship is superb and that you have used quality class wood here. The thickness of the individual frames will ensure that you never get any warping.

I particularly like the way you are mapping out how you go about everything,and also providing drawings and diagrams. I can imagine that your build will give a great deal of confidence to others with the view to attempting their own scratch build models.

Quality workmanship, well done! ThumpUp BigGrin
jack.aubrey
#66 Posted : 21 October 2014 09:25:06

Silent_Running wrote:
I would like to add my comments to all the above and start by saying that the quality of your workmanship is superb and that you have used quality class wood here. The thickness of the individual frames will ensure that you never get any warping.

I particularly like the way you are mapping out how you go about everything,and also providing drawings and diagrams. I can imagine that your build will give a great deal of confidence to others with the view to attempting their own scratch build models.

Quality workmanship, well done! ThumpUp BigGrin

W O W !!!
Thanks, Jack.
Foz
#67 Posted : 21 October 2014 11:23:29

Great work there Jack. Love the planking, it looks very neat.

keep up the great work and i look forward to your progress.

regards

Foz
jack.aubrey
#68 Posted : 21 October 2014 12:45:37

Foz wrote:
Great work there Jack. Love the planking, it looks very neat.
keep up the great work and i look forward to your progress.
regards
Foz

Hi Foz,
the planks until now installed are the simplest to lay and it's easy to be clean and neat-looking.
The problems will come when I'll go down towards the keel, both at prow but also at the stern. In the past I made a hull quite similar to this brick and I made some experience that I hope will be useful at the right time.
I sold this unfinished model to another ship modeler that, due to space problems at home, likes to get a partially finished hull and, starting from that point, complete it.

As you can see from the image here below it is quite similar to the brick in terms of hull lines and shape . .

riff-raff
#69 Posted : 21 October 2014 13:42:12

The planking looks GREAT !!! I love the contrasting colours you've used - really stands out Drool Drool
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Built:
Golden Star, English Brig. RMS Titanic. (Academy 1/400 Centenary Anniversary Edition) Revell-Monogram 1/48 B-29 Superfortress 1:8 Baron von Richthofen's Fokker Tri-plane. HMS Victory. Nelsons Flag Ship. Sultan Arab Dhow. Artesania Latina Carmen II. The Battleship Yamato. Model Airways Wright Flyer 1:16 Scale. Trumpeter Bismarck 1/200. HMS Sovereign of the Seas. The Black Pearl.

Building:HMS Surprisel. Hatchette U96. Soleil Royal.
jack.aubrey
#70 Posted : 21 October 2014 13:53:39

As promised I try to explain more in detail the process of building the bulwarks.

Before continuing with the application of the planking downwards, I decided to finish all the area that now is already planked. This part of the hull, being a brick a single decked ship, is the area where the gun-ports will be opened, and inside, the deck will contain all the superstructures of the model.
The thickness of the bulwarks, according to ANCRE plans, is reported to be 6.5-7 mm, and then I found myself faced with two possible assembling solutions.
Given that a second planking is planned, made with veneer of a wood not yet decided, with thickness of 0.5mm I proceed to describe the two options:

1) sand and level the available toptimbers, already part of the bulkheads, to a thickness let's say of 3 mm, and then apply the internal planking based on strips of 1.5 mm thick; the result will be 2 (external planking) + 3 (toptimbers) + 1.5 (internal planking) + 0.5 (second planking of veneer), with a total thickness of 7 mm. During the opening of the gun-ports I should expect that there will be a vacuum inside, to hide properly;

or

2) a: fill with strips with thickness of 2 mm the internal spaces between the toptimbers; these strips, to strengthen the structure, should be placed vertically; b: then repeat with other strips of the same thickness but placed in a horizontal manner; in this way we have reached a total thickness of 6 mm of a virtually all solid wood, a real "sandwich"; c: at this point level the toptimbers properly and d: by applying the veneer (second planking), both externally and internally, reach the desired thickness of 7 mm. The opening of the gun-ports will always find solid wood.

Personally, I chose the second solution for two reasons:

1) even if it may appear more complex it is much easier to achieve in practice, you just need a bit of patience due to the fact you are managing many small pieces of wood;
2) the structure thus obtained is extremely sturdy, virtually indestructible . . and for a fanatic like me this robustness is crucial.

And the images that follow, which have more details of those I proposed yesterday, show what I'm doing.
The first two figures show the first inner layer of strips placed vertically, fore and aft. The wood used was got from my stock of strips and I think they are larch, wood good and hard enough but that is not usable for finishing because the grain is too exaggerated. The arrows show the small areas still to be finished that need to be filled with custom pieces of wood, task I'll perform at the first opportunity. It's also important to fill these small gaps to ensure robustness and to avoid finding these gaps when you open the gun-ports.

As to complete the outer planking of the bulwarks still lacks a last plank of 4 x 2 on top, these vertical slats are high enough to apply this last missing strip, with a small surplus which will be leveled at the end. The installation of this last plank will be much simplified as will rest in every point on the rear structure.

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/a9b9edb4-da6d-430c-ae5f-5622c2d56ab7_zps9bc6ae7d.jpg

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/73ce6050-5f8e-4152-aa22-fffd8f9ec264_zps909041a1.jpg

In the image below I propose an anticipation of the next step, shown here by a green circle: the same strips are now installed as an additional layer in a horizontal manner. And it is at this point that I can reach the planned 6 mm thick solid wood . .

003 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/01bb19c9-4368-40fb-b22a-06a9794fac09_zps87a88d0b.jpg

I hope to have given you an idea of the kind of work is waiting me in the next few days and what you will read accordingly in the next few posts related to this model. The opening of the gun-ports will be done later, after I'll finish to plank the hull and the deck.

To meet next time, Jack.Aubrey.

04 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100044_zps91f9e4e1.jpg
birdaj2
#71 Posted : 21 October 2014 20:13:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Jack

Very interesting update.

You have set yourself a task with this one but I am sure your skills will pull off a brilliant model.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
jack.aubrey
#72 Posted : 26 October 2014 17:18:55

Sunday October 26th, 2014

I spent some afternoon sessions in this past week to continue the task of building the interior of the bulwarks. Friday I finished and now I'm here to plan the bulwarks refinements. They will be the task for the coming week.
At the moment I have no images to show but I will add something asap.

I spent Saturday afternoon speaking in my workshop with another italian ship modeler that decided to build the same brick, with a different name but belonging to the same "Pestel" class, using my CAD enhancements of the ANCRE plans.

Very interesting and pleasant afternoon . .

where I also had the possibility to watch closely an almost finished model of a "Knorr", the merchant ship equivalent of the Viking Drakkar. Outstanding model with a delicious klinker planking very difficult to achieve . . .

See you soon, jack.
jack.aubrey
#73 Posted : 27 October 2014 18:52:20

Here is a beautiful example for those who wonder about the usefulness of the forums . . . Sometimes the tool really proves valuable, as in the case mentioned here below.

Elsewhere someone else has taken up the issue raised by me long ago on the figurehead and sent me something really useful, something which I thank him publicly:

Quote:
Hello Jack,
Meanwhile, congratulations for what you are doing and how you teach it: for me as a beginner it is a real lesson of shipmodelling. I would like to re-open the issue of the figurehead sending a file that I found surfing on the internet: it is "Le Faune". Of course the Royal Navy changed its name as HMS Fawn, but as you can see the figurehead I thought would be of interest, of course if you do not already have it. Friendliness

The attached file is the following:
File Attachment(s):
Le Faune.jpg (1,281kb) downloaded 13 time(s).
jack.aubrey
#74 Posted : 28 October 2014 20:41:09

French Brick Le Faune (1804)

"Le Faune" was a French naval Le Cygne-class brig launched in 1804 to a design by François Pestel in 1803. She participated in the capture of HMS Blanche in July 1805. The Royal Navy captured Le Faune in August 1805. She was taken into service as HMS Fawn, but the last record of her dates to 1806. In 1807 the Royal Navy launched a new HMS Fawn.
Career:
On 19 July 1805 Le Faune was part of a squadron of four vessels that captured HMS Blanche off Puerto Rico, three days after they had left Martinique. The other three were the 40-gun French frigate "Topaze", the 22-gun corvette "Department des Landes", and the 18-gun "Torche". Le Faune was under the command of Lieutenant Charles Brunet.
About one month later, Le Faune, still under the command of "enseigne de vaisseau" Brunet, was carrying dispatches from Fort-de-France to Saint-Nazaire via Saint-Martin-de-Ré. When she was southwest of Ouessant, on 15 August, she had the misfortune to encounter HMS Camilla.

Camilla chased Le Faune for nine hours before capturing her at Lat. 45 Deg. 18 Min. N. Long. 7 Deg. 36 Min.

The 74-gun, third rate HMS Goliath was in the Channel Fleet when she saw a sail to eastward and three sail to westward. Goliath sailed east and joined the chase, helping Camilla to capture Le Faune. Faune was armed with 16 guns and had on board 98 men. She also had on board as prisoners 22 men from HMS Blanche.
After Goliath helped Camilla capture Faune, she set off after the other three French vessels. Raisonnable joined Goliath and they were able to capture Torche, which the Royal Navy took into service as HMS Torch, but Topaze and Department-des-Landes escaped.
Captain Robert Barton of Goliath sent Le Faune into Portsmouth with Camilla. Barton reported that Le Faune was a new ship, on her first voyage, from Martinique, extremely fast, and would make a good addition to the Royal Navy.
The Royal Navy took Le Faune into service as HMS Fawn.

However, after 1806 there are no records of her.

Here below three articles fron the London Gazette describing some events where Le Faune was involved . . 

File Attachment(s):
LeFaune2.jpg (774kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
jack.aubrey attached the following image(s):
LeFaune1.jpg
LeFaune3.jpg
jack.aubrey
#75 Posted : 28 October 2014 20:46:56

Can someone help me in explaining why some .jpg files are not displayed in the body of the message, and can only be downloaded, while some other are ? In the previous two post there are two examples of such files . .
Many thanks in advance for the explanation, if known. Jack.Aubrey.
jack.aubrey
#76 Posted : 29 October 2014 13:56:53

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Last monday I did nothing but today I started with good will to finish the inside of the bulwarks, removing , as scheduled, the excess of plywood toptimbers.

Initially I started using a method that produced few dust and which consisted of a blade of a small hacksaw for iron. I only used the blade, without the bow, and to use it I covered the ends with tape. Then, holding the blade folded properly, I started to cut the plywood in excess.

The method worked adeguately but then I had to sand and trim the corners with the deck that was impossible to achieve well in any way except by using abrasive blocks and wood cutters.

Then I wanted to try to use the belt sander BSL 220/E presented in one previous message and I immediately noticed a positive difference . . no effort and pace.
Of course, the bad side was the dust, in fact produced in great quantity, so much that I finally decided to leave and to complete the last remaining toptimbers tomorrow.

I spent the time I had left to suck the laboratory with a vacuum cleaner.

Below two pictures of the front of the hull, showing the inner sides of both right and left bulwarks nearly finished . .

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100050_zpsa78bcf51.jpg

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100047_zps6ba96ebd.jpg

Instead at the poop there are still five toprtimbers per side I have left for tomorrow, which, however, give an idea of the work that had to be put on the track to get rid of the excess wood.

Finally, having already done much dust, I sanded adeguately the top of the bulwarks leveling the three layers of planks: this was a job that came with the belt sander incredibly ease: it is a tool that I highly recommend, of course for those who can afford it. .

03 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100048_zpsf1050203.jpg

04 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100049_zpsa806d014.jpg

All for now, until next time, Jack.Aubrey.
Plymouth57
#77 Posted : 29 October 2014 14:39:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Jack.

What a fantastic model you are creating here, very well done indeed!Cool Cool Cool

With regards to the jpegs, I think its a question of the size of the file. I always size my photo pages to 800x600 and I think at 300dpi. As long as the jpeg file is under a certain size (and the above specs seem to do that ok) it will display on the screen, if if goes up into Mb however the website will show it as a file attachment only.

Hope this helps and keep up the brilliant work!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
jack.aubrey
#78 Posted : 30 October 2014 10:02:31

Plymouth57 wrote:
. . With regards to the jpegs, I think its a question of the size of the file . . As long as the jpeg file is under a certain size (and the above specs seem to do that ok) it will display on the screen, if if goes up into Mb however the website will show it as a file attachment only.

Hi Robin, may be a correct explanation, in fact the two file not directly displayed are significantly bigger that the others . . I'll try to reduce their size in term of bytes to see what happens.
In order to be independent to the many forum softwares I usually upload the images on a file/picture server and I embed them into the message with the proper BBCode Tags, but some times I follow another way and this is the reason why I discovered this "problem" only now . .
Anyway many thanks for your answer and also for your appreciaton of my work.
Jack.
davetwin
#79 Posted : 30 October 2014 12:06:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

All my photos and many others are re-sized to 640x480, they are guaranteed to show at this size
jack.aubrey
#80 Posted : 31 October 2014 18:02:24

Two other overall viewpoints, that do not add anything new to the work done the past Tuesday. .
Wednesday I finished the leveling of the aft toptimbers that I wasn't able to finish Tuesday. I used the "belt sander method" that definitely proved to be incredibly better than the other one I have described.
Regarding the wood dust . . patience, I finally sucked the workshop and the session ended there.
Regards, Jack.

01 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100052_zpsb10fa7c9.jpg

02 Brick%20by%20JackAubrey/P1100051_zpsd15f38f6.jpg