Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Greg B's Build Options
Greg B
#1 Posted : 12 September 2014 01:05:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Here is the 1st start to my Diary build. Waiting for more issues to arrive but had a play round with building and painting a couple of cannons and an Anchor.
Ofcoarse I spent considerable time going through other builds and took note of how others are painting/finishing there cannons.
some I noticed preferred a more subdued finish to the bright red. I definately considered this but felt my self the cannons would look better standing out a little amongst the bussiness of everything going on with the deck and rigging.

Greg
Greg B attached the following image(s):
DSC07817.JPG
DSC07821.JPG
Greg B
#2 Posted : 12 September 2014 01:32:57

Here are some of the paints used

Cannons & Anchor were primed with Tamiya superfine surface primer then airbrushed with Tamiya XF-1 Flat black. What I like about Tamiya XF-1 on metal is that its not totally flat like on plastic..more of an egg shell finish. Followed by some subtle drybrushing of Vellego 70998 Bronze to the details and high points of the canon. Wheels and brass bits were primed and painted matt black and dry brushed with Game colour Gunmetal 72054 . The wood on the canons was primed with Tamiya fine spray primer then painted with Tamiya XF7 Flat red then over coated by brush with the Admiralty paints Red ensign then given a vellego dark grey wash to give a bit of depth to the red.

Anchor wood was Tamiya spray primed, sanded and then I brush painted with the Admiralty paints moroon colour. I quite like the contrast of the maroon to the black thread. I will add some boltheads eventually to the block. I then subduely distress sanded the edges of both the wood and the metal edges.

As this ship is my first build I'm looking forward to trying some weathering techniques that may or may not succeed.

Photo showing paints used.

Greg
DSC07824.JPG
DSC07826.JPG
DSC07825.JPG
Gandale
#3 Posted : 12 September 2014 07:30:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome aboard Greg nice to see another SOTS build on the go.... Look forward to seeing your progress as it looks as if you are off to a great start..... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Greg B
#4 Posted : 12 September 2014 08:53:23

Thank you Alan, appreciate the encouragement. I spent over an hr the other night just going through your diary build and found it a very enjoyable and inpiring thread. I've got another 3 weeks to wait befor the next four issues arrive but at least that gives me plenty of time to read, take notes and highlight issues as they arise...mmmmm kind of sounds like I'm studying again for exams LOL

Greg
Tomick
#5 Posted : 12 September 2014 10:33:33

Groups:

Great start Greg, and congrat's on your first medal Cool
robbyrob60
#6 Posted : 12 September 2014 15:30:46

Welcome to the SOTS build forum Greg nice to see another build underway Rob.
Gandale
#7 Posted : 12 September 2014 23:28:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Greg B wrote:
Thank you Alan, appreciate the encouragement. I spent over an hr the other night just going through your diary build and found it a very enjoyable and inpiring thread. I've got another 3 weeks to wait befor the next four issues arrive but at least that gives me plenty of time to read, take notes and highlight issues as they arise...mmmmm kind of sounds like I'm studying again for exams LOL

Greg

Thanks Greg, it really pleases me to know you have taken the time to go through my diary, as large as it is....BigGrin BigGrin .. very much appreciated.... Hope through the course of your build you will continue to find it useful however, should you require answers to any queries then all you have to do is ask and I'll assist as much as I can..... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Greg B
#8 Posted : 13 September 2014 01:04:18

Thankyou Mr T , at this rate I will be an Admiral by the time I finish the build BigGrin

Thanks Rob, I feel I have got so much out of everyone elses diary builds over the past week the least I can do is contribute in some way. What I find interesting and exciting is the various approaches taken.

Alan appreciate the offer of help along the way and I'm sure I will be asking. I really want to build this to the best of my abbility and have something at the end that I'm proud to display.

Already I feel the Victory beckoning.....but will decide on that after I have had my first taste of planking BigGrin

Regards
Greg
Greg B
#9 Posted : 13 September 2014 03:33:27

This is the Drydock where the SOT's Is to be built, although the occasionl red has been drunk in hereLOL . Thought it might be interesting to see it rise from a few ribs through to compleation. As a plastic kit modeler I have lots of other builds to keep me busy while waiting for the next issues. I'm primarily a 1:35th scale Armour/Diorama modeler. But also build 1:32 aircraft 1:20mm Mak (scifi)and a few busts and figures.

Pics are a bit dark as I had to turn the lights down low to take a few pics. Normally it is lit up like a Xmas tree.

Greg
DSC07833.JPG
DSC07827.JPG
DSC07832.JPG
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 13 September 2014 09:20:33

BigGrin That's a very nice build/display area GregCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

birdaj2
#11 Posted : 13 September 2014 12:31:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Greg

What a wonderful workspace you gave yourself there if I ever win the lottery (that will be the day pigs start flying LOL ) it's the sort of thing that would be at the top of my wants list.

Looking forward to seeing how your build comes along. Believe me those 4 weeks shipment times will not be noticed once you get into this build. There is lots to do and those parts will suddenly start appearing very quickly.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#12 Posted : 13 September 2014 22:15:10

Now that's a workspace most members would give their eye teeth for, looks very well laid out too..... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Greg B
#13 Posted : 14 September 2014 01:06:08

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I'm pretty fortunate to have a very supportive wife who loves my hobby. I've always felt as a modeller that its important to have your own work space for modeling no matter how small or big it is. If I dont go into my room within a 48 hr period I get withdrawal symptoms Crying.

Tony I think you are quite right that it wont be long befor the issues start piling up. I'm taking this time to find things I dont have such as an electric plank bender and various clamps etc.

Greg