Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

First time builder Options
kaledonian101
#1 Posted : 20 September 2010 13:38:59

Groups: Registered

Hi, i was just wondering about a few things and thought this would be the place to allay any fears and trepidations i have.

First off, what is the dimensions of the finished Yamato model?.

And second, i'm a little afraid i've bitten off more than i can chew.

The only model building experience i have is plastic models i purchase from a local model shop and when i view the amazing pics some modellers have sent in, i think maybe the Yamato is too complex for a 'newbie' builder of models like this.

Any comments would be appreciated as i want to build it, but scared i'll make a pig's ear out of it and waste not only my time, but the potential to own a great model.
budgie
#2 Posted : 20 September 2010 14:03:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Hi Kaledonia welcome
BigGrin firstly length 1052mm height 289mm beam 150mm scale 1:250
degree of difficulty 2 anchors compared to Victory 4 and a wee bit & Surprise is 5

The downloaded instructions really are step by step & along with Tomicks official diary u should not have any problems
Jinks has got a good diary with plenty of pictures

DroolThe quality so far of parts i think are good

Drool The beauty of using wood & metal is if u do make a mistake it can be quite easily rectified by resanding refilling repainting unlike plastic kits

Things u r not sure about ask on the forum as someone will be good enough to reply & keep u right

Welcome board (i hope) to quote Capt Jack Sparrow (forum member not Johnny Depp)
"go on go on u know u really want to dontcha go on
kaledonian101
#3 Posted : 20 September 2010 14:14:49

Thanks for the info.

I am used to sticking bits of plastic together ( and occasionally sticking plastic to myself Blushing ) so the prospect of real wood planking and metal pieces sort of scared me.

However, with the help of the instructions and this forum, i am confident that i will make it and be a proud owner of my first DeAgostini model ( The first of, hopefully, manyWoot ).

budgie
#4 Posted : 20 September 2010 14:30:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin BigGrin thats great news