Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Jaguar66- Can anyonee tell me the inside width of the track this Locomotive sits upon? Options
Jaguar66
#1 Posted : 01 October 2014 20:04:36

Groups: Registered

Hi I am hoping someone off this Forum can tell me the inside width of the rails on the track this locomotive sits on for display and if the front wheels and the two in the rear will picot since I am interested in building this locomotive but will be displaying it on another section of curved track. Thanks Ken
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 01 October 2014 20:48:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Ken

Good day to you. Hope you will be a regular with us on the forum.

I have just put a pair of digital callipers across the flanges of my first wheel set and the measurement I am getting is coming out at just proud of 43mm or imperial 1.690 inch. That is outside edge flange to outside edge flange. Each wheel in my first set has a width of approx 7.55mm (.297 inch)

I am still at early stages of my build but if you look at the official build it does appear to show the front boggie having some lateral movement so should accommodate a curved track.

Interested to see what your up to as this is basically a static model but with the added attraction of sound and moving wheels.

This combination is designed around a straight length of track and display board.

Have a look at Mr T's official build to see what I mean.

Hope this may help.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Jaguar66
#3 Posted : 03 October 2014 18:24:24

Thank you for the reply Tony- If I am correct in the measurements from mm to inches I would think it is 1 3/4 inch wide between the inside of the rails on the track if the wheels width starts at the inside measurement of 43mm. What I am up to are two possible ventures. One is I have 300 feet of G scale outside track as a layout running several locomotives one being a Live Steam engine and 100 feet indoor throughout my living room of G Scale track. I am hoping to be able to convert this beautiful engine into running on my Layout with some modifications of the drive system even though it is clearly stated it was not designed to do so as a model but this engine is so beautiful it is hard to resist. If this is not possible which I believe anything is then I wish to display it on curved track on my Layout coming out of the Roadhouse. Of course I will have to consider whether I add the rollers under the wheels to allow running the Locomotive stationary...Perhaps by disguising some of them with some scenery like bushes on the Layout without trying to hide too much detail from view this Locomotive has. So I am trying to see if it will even fit on a G Scale track that is 1 3/4 inches wide inside rails measurement first to see the possibilities versus using the display track that comes with the kit. Ken