Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

38 Pages 123>»
Garth's Black Pearl Options
Garth
#1 Posted : 14 October 2014 16:40:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Hi All,

I just could not resist the temptation to make a start on my Black Pearl. (Following calls to first finish the Victory, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Bismark and The Golden Hind - But what do they know?Sneaky )

I decided to wait until I had all the parts for the keel and ribs - in an effort to keep things aligned and square. I glued the 3 hull pieces together and clamped them to a piece of chipboard. The masking tape is to stop the glue sticking to the chipboard.
Garth attached the following image(s):
DSC_1903_2.jpg
DSC_1904_2.jpg
DSC_1905_2.jpg
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 14 October 2014 18:00:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gareth

It's difficult not to want to start a new project. You certainly have a lot of projects lined up.

Hope this one goes really well for you.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#3 Posted : 14 October 2014 23:32:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Garth, as usual I will be following with a great deal of interest... good luck on your new venture....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Garth
#4 Posted : 15 October 2014 07:00:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Alan and Tony,

Thank you for your encouragement. I am going to focus on my Victory, but just a little sideline work on the Pearl.

Kind regards,

Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Whizgig
#5 Posted : 15 October 2014 08:42:21

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Garth looks like you have got a good start on making sure the falce keel is nice and straight. Well done.ThumpUp ThumpUp

Eugene.
swordfish fairey
#6 Posted : 15 October 2014 09:58:42

Groups:

Great start Garth Cool , welcome to the Black Pearl club.Mellow Mellow ..................Tony
Garth
#7 Posted : 16 October 2014 06:50:18

Hi Eugene and Tony,
Thanks for looking in.
Regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
riff-raff
#8 Posted : 16 October 2014 14:46:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A good start mate - good luck with the build !
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Built:
Golden Star, English Brig. RMS Titanic. (Academy 1/400 Centenary Anniversary Edition) Revell-Monogram 1/48 B-29 Superfortress 1:8 Baron von Richthofen's Fokker Tri-plane. HMS Victory. Nelsons Flag Ship. Sultan Arab Dhow. Artesania Latina Carmen II. The Battleship Yamato. Model Airways Wright Flyer 1:16 Scale. Trumpeter Bismarck 1/200. HMS Sovereign of the Seas. The Black Pearl.

Building:HMS Surprisel. Hatchette U96. Soleil Royal.
Garth
#9 Posted : 24 October 2014 20:00:41

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the support.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#10 Posted : 24 November 2014 08:43:06

Hi All,

I bought an assortment right angle brackets to fit to the base.
(I must point out, that here in RSA, we have a hardware store that specializes in kitchen cabinets and wardrobes. Their prices are about 1/3 that of the main hardware stores.)
As it happened, I used these angled brackets and spring clamps to hold the ribs square as the glue dried.

Note: '...there is no such thing as too many clamps!!!'

Thats it for now. Hope to finish the ribs next.

Kind regards,

Garth
DSC_1896_2.jpg
DSC_1910_2.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Hans
#11 Posted : 24 November 2014 12:14:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hello Garth, I see your up for the building challenge of multiple builds, good on you. She looks good so far, well done, will be joining some time in the future.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Garth
#12 Posted : 25 November 2014 06:05:55

Hi Hans,
Thanks for looking in. Looking forward to seeing you start your build. It's been pretty easy up till now, much less work than the Victory.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#13 Posted : 04 December 2014 07:05:41

Hi All,

Fitted the rib braces and the remaining ribs. I had to move my angled brackets - and I think that I will cut them off when I fit the lower deck. I prefer to keep the ship attached to the chipboard for as long as possible - rather than using the frame supplied in issue 7.

Thats it for now,

Kind regards,

Garth
DSC_1932_2.jpg
DSC_1935_2.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
karl1113
#14 Posted : 04 December 2014 12:27:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

nice start garth,looking forward to this build progressing.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Garth
#15 Posted : 30 March 2015 20:55:14

Hi Karl,
Thanks for looking in, and sorry for the late reply. I've not had much modeling time lately. When I do, I'm focusing on the Victory and only chipping away slowly on the Pearl.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#16 Posted : 21 April 2015 16:50:02

Hi All,

Spent some time on my Pearl as well this weekend. Fitted the lower deck.
I sanded the inside of the keel and ribs, as well as the deck to ensure that it is a fairly loose fit. My little Mouse Sander works a treat for this.
I found that forcing these parts only causes problems later on. Parts warp and tend to move out-of-square if their fit is too tight.
Pasted on some wood glue and weighed down the deck with lead weights.

Kind regards,

Garth
DSC_2244_02.jpg
DSC_2245_02.jpg
DSC_2246_02.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
CAThompson
#17 Posted : 26 April 2015 05:15:08

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking good! Great to see another Black Pearl.

Christopher
Current builds:
HMS Victory
Black Pearl

Builds on hold:
Millennum Falcon
USS Constellation

Future Builds:
Hanse Kogge (14th C)
Mary Rose (16th C)
Gandale
#18 Posted : 26 April 2015 09:26:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see this one moving forward Garth, looking good....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Garth
#19 Posted : 28 April 2015 21:05:42

Hi Alan & Christopher,
Thanks for looking in and the kind words.
Regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
ian smith
#20 Posted : 29 April 2015 16:07:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Garth.
Your pearl is looking good. love the weights you used on the decking.
Look forward to seeing more Ian. Cool Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.